is this torture? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2005, 01:00 AM   #61
The Fly

Local Time: 02:50 PM
And don't forget to ask me my sexual preference. We all know that straight, white christians are never discriminated against or wrongly accused of anything. Get off your damn high and mighty righteous horse, please.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:34 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

You may not be worried about your liberties at this time, you may willfully surrender them to government, but when the time comes that they do start exercising these security powers in a manner that you find offensive what will you be able to do?
Agree 100%

Old 11-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Abomb-baby
And don't forget to ask me my sexual preference. We all know that straight, white christians are never discriminated against or wrongly accused of anything. Get off your damn high and mighty righteous horse, please.

i don't give a shit about your sexual preference, and neither does the Patriot Act. but the Patriot Act is indeed very, very interested in your skin color and religion.

are white christians the most likely candidates to have their civil rights trampled on by the Patriot Act? you prattled on and on about how your life wasn't affected by the Patriot Act, but these things never affect you.

i'm going to ask you one more time: stop with the personal attacks, and please try and respond with something more than "i know you are but what am i arguments."

it's all i can do not to maintain a civil tone and not rip your posts to pieces and get myself in some trouble from the mods.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Speaking of getting into trouble with the mods, Abomb-baby consider this a warning. Please stop with the personal attacks and vitriolic tone. It is possible to debate in a civil manner. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #65
The Fly

That was NOT a personal attack. It was a reaction to a vitriolic attack posted to ME. I seem to be the only one ever warned here. Hmmm, is it because the people who attack me have Special rights by the mods in here? I guess because Irvine has like 4550 posts, he's special. So much for MY first amendment rights. But anyway Irvine, if I wanted to attack YOU, My tone and language would be much worse. I was attacking your post and your implied righteouness, woe is me attitude. Sad to say, but Skin color and religion do matter. Here is a multiple choice question for you:

Were the attackers on 9/11:

A. Budhists from Japan
B. Christians from Norway
C. Jews from Long Island
D. Muslims from the Middle East

We could go on for hours about personal freedoms Vs. What is best for the country as a whole. Do I believe that everything in the Patriot act is worthwhile. NO. Please site all these civil rights abuses due to the patriot act. People in America think anytime they get pulled over by a cop their civil rights are violated. People bitch about taking their shoes off at the airport. Why? Because we don't want to inconvienenced. We have forgotten all about 9/11 and what really is at stake. Our survival as a nation. Remember the number 2819. Rememember the number 3051. The first is the nuber of dead from the attacks from 9/11. The second is The number kids who will never see their mom or dad walk through the front door again. The slippery slope argument doesn't hold water. The checks and balances of our government will not allow anyone branch to gain to much power. I know the liberals are screaming like chicken little, but there is balance in this country. And balance is good. Clinton had his 8 years, Bush will have his. Then we will assess our country and decide where we want to go from there. I'm dying to read some factual, credible info on all this civil rights trampling going on. Anyone can claim anything is a civil rights abuse. It doesn't make it true however. We have courts to decide that. The Patriot Act is not the end of civil rights as we know it, is it? i mean ppl have been having their civil rights violated Waaay before 2001
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Sad to say, but Skin color and religion do matter. Here is a multiple choice question for you:

Were the attackers on 9/11:

A. Budhists from Japan
B. Christians from Norway
C. Jews from Long Island
D. Muslims from the Middle East
Bullshit. Did you get that quiz from an email forward?

We can have the same quiz for the Oklahoma bombings, for serial killers, or any other violent attacks and the answer will always be different. So to make a generalization like that just shows the tunnel vision so many are living in today.

Quote:
i mean ppl have been having their civil rights violated Waaay before 2001
True, but the more you give them, the more they'll take. More than likely they won't affect you today, but the next slice out of the pie may. It's a slippery slope...it's too bad people don't see it until it affects them.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #67
The Fly

Sorry BonoVox, but Oklahoma City wasn't spurred on by a religious movement, and serial killers don't kill almost 3000 ppl in a day. It matters and for you to dismiss it tells me Your head is really in the sand. Lets not forget Madrid, London, and Jordan.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Sorry BonoVox, but Oklahoma City wasn't spurred on by a religious movement
Exactly my point.

Quote:

It matters and for you to dismiss it tells me Your head is really in the sand. Lets not forget Madrid, London, and Jordan.
My heads in the sand because I don't want to make the generalization that Muslims from the Middle East are our one and only enemy? Because that's exactly what you are saying by telling me skin color and religion do matter.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #69
The Fly

No one said muslims were our one and ONLY enemy. Muslim extremists do however, have a propensity to want to Blow shit up and inflict a high number of casualties on peaceful environments. Can't you at least admit that? Islam is the only religion I'm aware of that calls for the death of those who refuse conversion. and please don't reference the crusades. We are talking about present times, not something that happened a 1000 years ago. Ok, I'll give you Eric Rudolph (abortion clinic bomber) but thats like one lone nut. The fact is that these extremist clerics want me dead, and are preaching this hatred to these young men ll over the world. I'm not gonna pretend its not happening.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

wow, Abomb, first you insinuate that i get special prefernce because i'm gay, and then you spew out a bunch of posts filled with so many stereotypes, half-truths, conspiracy theories, and general ignorance.

[q]People in America think anytime they get pulled over by a cop their civil rights are violated.[/q]

honestly, how can you use such a line of reasoning in any sort of debate? this isn't a screaming match, you aren't on Fox News.

where is this righteous woe-is-me attitude? there isn't ... except you need to create this in those who disagree with you so you can engage on an emotional, not factual level, because you have no facts you just have anger fueld by convenient stereotypes. i've been nothing but respectful to you and you've been nothing but rude to me since the beginning of this thread.

[q]Muslim extremists do however, have a propensity to want to Blow shit up and inflict a high number of casualties on peaceful environments. [/q]

yes, so many iraqis were muslim extremists who were blowing shit up. thank goodness we stopped them before they attacked us again.

gee, i wonder who else has a propensity to blow shit up and inflict a high number of casualties on peaceful environments?

Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #71
The Fly

How dare you insinuate I think you get special treatment because your Gay!! That is the typical response isn't it? "I'm gay, I'm the victim." No, you get special privelege because you post on here 30 times a frekkin day. READ what I wrote. where are all my stereotypes, generalizations, half truths? Please support your words. I could give a flying fart if you're gay or not. You brought it up, not me. I guess its just another way to point the finger at me as the bad guy. I'm sure the Mods will side with you again, and accuse me of a hate crime or something. You are stereotyping me and you don't know me. I'm about as moderate as it gets, but you spout off things like FOX News, which has not a damn thing to do with what I'm talking about. Oh yeah, nice PICS. Am I supposed to draw some sort of conclusion from them? Maybe I should post some pics of beheadings and burned bodies hanging from bridges. Will that support my point anymore than these PICS support yours?NO. I have stated facts here but you refuse to accept them. So please, by all means go about your life as if nothing ever happened in this country. Continue to support your left wing, liberal ideology. What exactly was 9/11 to you, an anomoly? Or was that our wake up call to clean our own house, and figure out why they hate us? That seems to be the liberal thinking. We already give more in foreign aid then any other nation in the world. What's it doing for us? I for one will not wait for more of the same to happen and then blame my own country for it. Just curious, is there anything you would physically fight to defend? Would you take up arms against an oppressor to save yourself, your loved ones, anything?
One more thing. I respect your right to think anyway you want. I also defend that right on a daily basis. I don't agree with you but I still support your right to disagree.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
How dare you insinuate I think you get special treatment because your Gay!! That is the typical response isn't it? "I'm gay, I'm the victim." No, you get special privelege because you post on here 30 times a frekkin day. READ what I wrote. where are all my stereotypes, generalizations, half truths? Please support your words. I could give a flying fart if you're gay or not. You brought it up, not me. I guess its just another way to point the finger at me as the bad guy. I'm sure the Mods will side with you again, and accuse me of a hate crime or something. You are stereotyping me and you don't know me. I'm about as moderate as it gets, but you spout off things like FOX News, which has not a damn thing to do with what I'm talking about. Oh yeah, nice PICS. Am I supposed to draw some sort of conclusion from them? Maybe I should post some pics of beheadings and burned bodies hanging from bridges. Will that support my point anymore than these PICS support yours?NO. I have stated facts here but you refuse to accept them. So please, by all means go about your life as if nothing ever happened in this country. Continue to support your left wing, liberal ideology. What exactly was 9/11 to you, an anomoly? Or was that our wake up call to clean our own house, and figure out why they hate us? That seems to be the liberal thinking. We already give more in foreign aid then any other nation in the world. What's it doing for us? I for one will not wait for more of the same to happen and then blame my own country for it. Just curious, is there anything you would physically fight to defend? Would you take up arms against an oppressor to save yourself, your loved ones, anything?
One more thing. I respect your right to think anyway you want. I also defend that right on a daily basis. I don't agree with you but I still support your right to disagree.

what would be great is if you could read through this post again, pick out either the questions you have for me or the points you would like to make, and then repost it, and i'll respond.

as it stands right now, there's virtually nothing for me to say. it's a rant, where you essentially answer your questions within the questions themselves and assume that you already know what i'm going to say so that it falls in line with what you need to have me say so that you can vent just a little bit more.

i'm also out and away for Thanksgiving, not sure if i'll be checking in.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:23 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Change of focus? I am baffled, the case remains the same in both cases. Willful surrendering of whatever rights you may have in the name of security is flawed. That is not a call for doing nothing, that position cannot be taken to its extreme here because in the real world things are a lot murkier at times.
I understand now. Sorry I think I initially misread what you were saying.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Can't you at least admit that?
Did I ever say they didn't? This is my whole problem with your argument, you want to believe that those that don't support profiling somehow ignore what extremists are capable of.

My point is that if you profile you are going to overlook the next enemy. Investigate someone due to their actions not skin color or religion. People taking flying lessons and not bothering to learn to land, hello fucking red flag that should have been investigated. I don't care what religion, skin color, who you voted for this action and many others require investigation...not because you pray at such and such church down the street.

Quote:

Islam is the only religion I'm aware of that calls for the death of those who refuse conversion. and please don't reference the crusades. We are talking about present times, not something that happened a 1000 years ago. The fact is that these extremist clerics want me dead, and are preaching this hatred to these young men ll over the world. I'm not gonna pretend its not happening.
Yes the extremists do...let's keep that clear. But any extremist is dangerous.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #75
The Fly

Local Time: 09:50 PM
note to self - any new member of the forum naming him/herself after HTDAAB-related stuff, is likely to be craaaaaaaaazy. How's that for profiling?