Is This Threat For Real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Militants in Europe Openly Call for Jihad and the Rule of Islam

In this former industrial town north of London, a small group of young Britons whose parents emigrated from Pakistan after World War II have turned against their families' new home. They say they would like to see Prime Minister Tony Blair dead or deposed and an Islamic flag hanging outside No. 10 Downing Street.

They swear allegiance to Osama bin Laden and his goal of toppling Western democracies to establish an Islamic superstate under Shariah law, like Afghanistan under the Taliban. They call the Sept. 11 hijackers the "Magnificent 19" and regard the Madrid train bombings as a clever way to drive a wedge into Europe.

On Thursday evening, at a tennis center community hall in Slough, west of London, their leader, Sheik Omar Bakri Mohammad, spoke of his adherence to Osama bin Laden. If Europe fails to heed Mr. bin Laden's offer of a truce ? provided that all foreign troops are withdrawn from Iraq in three months ? Muslims will no longer be restrained from attacking the Western countries that play host to them, the sheik said.

"All Muslims of the West will be obliged," he said, to "become his sword" in a new battle. Europeans take heed, he added, saying, "It is foolish to fight people who want death ? that is what they are looking for."

i do have worries about this summer... from the transfer of power in iraq in early july straight through the RNC in new york in late july early august... will be a tense time to say the least.

i also have worries about late october and early november here in america... al qaeda was shown by spain that a few well placed bombs can turn an election... perhaps they believe the same could happen in america.

Last edited:
Certainly the threat of terroristic attacks has not abated, but the comment, "All Muslims of the West will be obliged" to join in committing violence is just overblown rhetoric. Most Muslims are like most people everywhere, moderate and peace loving. Every religion has its own extremists; just look at Northern Ireland, and tell me what any of that has to do with true faith.

We in the US have a Christian extremist as President. Bush has openly said he believes he was put on this Earth by God to spread democracy.

biff said:
Certainly the threat of terroristic attacks has not abated, but the comment, "All Muslims of the West will be obliged" to join in committing violence is just overblown rhetoric. Most Muslims are like most people everywhere, moderate and peace loving.

Exactly. The vast majority of Muslims in this country, and indeed around the world, have no interest in terrorism or violence of any kind. It's ridiculous to stereotype millions of people based on the actions of a few.

Every religion has its own extremists; just look at Northern Ireland, and tell me what any of that has to do with true faith.

I don't think the "troubles" in Northern Ireland have anything to do with religion. People weren't fighting over whether Catholicism or Protestantism was the "true" religion.

I don't think the "troubles" in Northern Ireland have anything to do with religion. People weren't fighting over whether Catholicism or Protestantism was the "true" religion

well the protesant catholic divide actually did and still does have some to do of the problems mayeb not as much as one religion being better then the other religion but it also had to do with a class srtuggle - one that is rooted in politics and economics.
The predominantly Catholic nationalist groups support the joining of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland into one nation. As it happens the Nationilist groups predominantly Protesant support a British rule.. Northern Ireland was truly a Protestant State for a Protestant people. This was not because there was something inherently superior about Protestants in Northern Ireland, nor was it because Protestants were naturally in favour of retaining the union with the British empire and Catholics were naturally in favour of becoming independent.The reality was that there was a clear economic reason for dividing the working class on religious grounds. If Ireland had achieved complete independence from the British Empire it would have resulted in huge losses for the textiles and shipbuilding Industry concentrated in the North of the country...
as I have heard it best stated it's as simple as thie "Violence starts and ends with you"

It is always in the back of my mind what might happen in the U.S , Canada or anywhere with terrorist threats.. when people hold on to hate and anger it has the potential to be dangerous in so many ways..

Last edited:
Katey said:
Northern Ireland was truly a Protestant State for a Protestant people. This was not because there was something inherently superior about Protestants in Northern Ireland, nor was it because Protestants were naturally in favour of retaining the union with the British empire and Catholics were naturally in favour of becoming independent.The reality was that there was a clear economic reason for dividing the working class on religious grounds. If Ireland had achieved complete independence from the British Empire it would have resulted in huge losses for the textiles and shipbuilding Industry concentrated in the North of the country

I'd respect your opinion a lot more if it was your own and not plagiarised from another website. :down:

I just want to add: Katey, I'm not saying this just to be mean to you or anything. I think you post a lot of interesting threads here, I'm really glad that you posted about the anniversary of Chernobyl and that you post so many threads about DATA/Jubilee/debt relief. I just really hate plagiarism and I honestly don't see the point in it, especially on a public message board. If you wanted to add to this thread, why not just type out your OWN opinion on Ireland? I mean who cares if it's not as well-researched or articulate as something written by a professional historian? (Not that that website was made by a professional historian, but you get the picture. :wink: )

Anyway. I don't know if what I've just said will make any difference, but I just wanted to make it clear that I didn't make those comments to be unkind or anything. Okay? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom