Is this really it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Well, as most of you know, I'm the resident youngin round these parts. Well, you see, I haven't actually been world conscious during a "war" (to give you an idea of what I equate with war, the only one I've been alive for is the Gulf War), so I was wondering about some stuff. Is this what it's like to be living while at war? I mean, I don't really see it on my evening news, the newspaper has nothing to say, when the newspaper DOES say things, there's no exposition offered so I can figure out what the hell is going on! I mean, I think about it daily, I think about what we're doing and what it's for and whatnot, but I go on living my life like nothing's happening. My fear is that the "war" will continue to escalate and because people become numb to living in war, no one will notice and we'll get in way over our heads a la Vietnam. So tell me all those who are my elders, what is life supposed to be during a "war"?

interesting question, ill let someone else answer your main question.

what i do believe though, is that america particularly has been at war for as long as i can remember. since i guess since the 50s? iim not sure, but for a very long time.

they have a lovely time defending their special interests and war is not a problem.

i mean you can make war look necessary, just get goebbels *cough i mean whomever is in charge of the propaganda machine of the us to make the war look just for human rights and causes and your set.

that was too long of a sentance.

really, i see a one world government coming.

wow, i have helped nothing have i.

ill shut up and leave now.

*waits to be flamed

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

what i do believe though, is that america particularly has been at war for as long as i can remember. since i guess since the 50s? iim not sure, but for a very long time.

That's an equally interesting point. Part of where the question originated from is my hardcore studying of history that's going on right now. The other part is that I just don't know.

The last "war" we had that is burned into the American psyche as the war was WWII. It was us against them and that's what made it "clear". September 11th has so many times in its short existence been likened to Pearl Harbor and yet here we are, some 8 months later, worrying again about the petty bullshit that we all promised we'd look past the second we saw those buildings tumble.

And now, now we are back to being Americans. The general public seems to be unphased by what happened. My impression of Pearl Harbor is not congruent with my experience of September 11th. And I don't know if that's because you need to for lack of a better word ignore what happened (meaning it's there, but you don't recognize it everytime it beckons), or if you just begin to accept what happened and live on. That's where the "is this what life is like?" comes in. Because this can't be it, can it? It seems like we didn't learn a thing, except how to beef up airport security to make it seem like we are safer. I dunno, I guess I'm still healing, and I'm not sure if that's ok, but I just want to know if where we are is the farthest we'll ever be.

I think the concept of war has changed...for one thing its less likely to be fought by massed armies of volunteers/conscripts, and more likely to be the smaller scale skirmishes seen in Afghanistan. The number of troops involved certainly affects the feeling back home- i get the impression that in the world wars it was unusual to see a great deal of eligible aged guys walking around, as so many had been called up or volunteered. That and the fact that the 'enemy' isnt your classical enemy per se, also contributes to the slightly weird state of mind modern war can bring...

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
interesting question, ill let someone really, i see a one world government coming.
I do too, but the nations I see NOT being involved in it are:
1)China
2)All Middle East nations including Israel
3)USA, depending on whom is at the helm. If Bush or someone like him is president, he'd die before giving up American sovreignity

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
3)USA, depending on whom is at the helm. If Bush or someone like him is president, he'd die before giving up American sovreignity

why is that? does he not like himself?

Originally posted by kobayashi:
why is that? does he not like himself?
I just think that Bush and people of his mindset, are not willing to give control of the US to a foreign power. I would be the same way...if I were president, I would die before giving up sovreignity of the US.

War is hell. Read "The Naked and The Dead" by Norman Mailer. Imagine the smell of burnt flesh. Imagine horror of everyone you meet. Eating Rats. Destruction in your home town. And imagine that 60% of the people you knew were dead, and away, forever. Died without sense, without meaning. Just like that, for nothing. Your boyfriend is in hospital, he only got one leg left, and he got crazy. Seen to many graves. They are trying to medicate him, but his brain is messed up.
War is rape. Torture. I won?t describe details. Go to search for a few books.

Sorry to stop here... I start to feel uncomfortable.

"Daddy?s flown across the ocean
Leaving just a memory
A snapshot in the family album
Daddy what else did you leave for me?"

"The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on"

Pink Floyd, The Wall

Back
Top Bottom