Is this enough for impeachment? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
that is so wrong on so many different levels...

i love it

Old 12-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know how valid this is but this is on Drudge Report

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE
Fri Dec 16 200 11:27:16 ET

**Exclusive**

Newspaper fails to inform readers "news break" is tied to book publication

On the front page of today's NEW YORK TIMES, national security reporter James Risen claims that "months after the September 11 attacks, President Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States... without the court approved warrants ordinarily required for domestic spying, according to government officials."

Risen claims the White House asked the paper not to publish the article, saying that it could jeopardize continuing investigations and alert would-be terrorists that they might be under scrutiny.

Risen claims the TIMES delayed publication of the article for a year to conduct additional reporting.

But now comes word James Risen's article is only one of many "explosive newsbreaking" stories that can be found -- in his upcoming book -- which he turned in 3 months ago!

The paper failed to reveal the urgent story was tied to a book release and sale.

"STATE OF WAR: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration" is to be published by FREE PRESS in the coming weeks, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

Carisa Hays, VP, Director of Publicity FREE PRESS, confirms the book is being published.

The book editor of Bush critic Richard Clarke [AGAINST ALL ENEMIES] signed Risen to FREE PRESS.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:44 AM

Senate fails to reauthorize Patriot Act.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/....ap/index.html
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10488458/

NEW YORK - President Bush refused to say whether the National Security Agency eavesdropped without warrants on people inside the United States but leaders of Congress condemned the practice on Friday and promised to look into what the administration has done.

“There is no doubt that this is inappropriate,” said Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He said there would be hearings early next year and that they would have “a very, very high priority.”

He wasn’t alone in reacting harshly to the report. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the story, first reported in Friday’s New York Times, was troubling.

Bush said in an interview that “we do not discuss ongoing intelligence operations to protect the country. And the reason why is that there’s an enemy that lurks, that would like to know exactly what we’re trying to do to stop them.

“I will make this point,” he continued. “That whatever I do to protect the American people — and I have an obligation to do so — that we will uphold the law, and decisions made are made understanding we have an obligation to protect the civil liberties of the American people.”

The president spoke in an interview to be aired Friday evening on “The Newshour with Jim Lehrer.”
Old 12-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't know how valid this is but this is on Drudge Report

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE
Fri Dec 16 200 11:27:16 ET
Apparently, Drudge can't read. Not that this make it any better, but this comes DIRECTLY from the Times story on the issue.

"The White House asked The New York Times not to publish this article, arguing that it could jeopardize continuing investigations and alert would-be terrorists that they might be under scrutiny. After meeting with senior administration officials to hear their concerns, the newspaper delayed publication for a year to conduct additional reporting. Some information that administration officials argued could be useful to terrorists has been omitted. "

link
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 06:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10479445/from/RS.4/

Quote:
NBC News said the (Pentagon) database lists a meeting in 2004 of The Truth Project in Lake Worth, Fla., where activists planned a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. It listed the meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.

The NBC report also said the database includes nearly four dozen anti-war meetings or protests, including some that have taken place far from any military installation or recruitment center.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10454316/

Quote:
A year ago, at a Quaker Meeting House in Lake Worth, Fla., a small group of activists met to plan a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. What they didn't know was that their meeting had come to the attention of the U.S. military.

A secret 400-page Defense Department document obtained by NBC News lists the Lake Worth meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.

“This peaceful, educationally oriented group being a threat is incredible,” says Evy Grachow, a member of the Florida group called The Truth Project.

“This is incredible,” adds group member Rich Hersh. “It's an example of paranoia by our government,” he says. “We're not doing anything illegal.”

Old 12-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 12-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I'm going to be watching the movie "Nixon" tonight...it'll be interesting to watch the parallels....
Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #24
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Parallels? Hmm...let's see. Vietnam? Getting rid of lots of people in your cabinet/inner circle? Spying on people who don't agree with you in the name of "national security?"

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."--George Santayana
Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:44 AM
That's the danger when you give more powers. It is a shorter step to go beyond them. Who would you really trust to have that much unchecked power unchecked? And they want fewer and fewer checks on that power.

What are the chances of me being severely affected by the Patriot Act? Neglibile. What are the chances of it being used against a political opponent or any opponent for that matter? Frighteningly high. Whoever has the power. What an insidious tool to give someone.

I've made no decision as to whether this is true or not. I don't have enough information yet. I think impeachment should not ever be used except under the gravest of circumstances. Up to this point, in spite of my antipathy toward him, I have not thought we had firm evidence to impeach. But if this is as it sounds...yeah, it's impeachable. The words President Cheney chill the fuck out of me though.

But it's not going to happen. The House is going to stay Republican and this House is one big blowjob everyday for the President.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:44 AM
dream on, my hopeless miscreants.

db9
Old 12-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
my hopeless db9
Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

db9
I am going to kick your ass in a week!!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Just wait until the new year begins.

Bush/Cheney and Co. will have their own asses kicked.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:57 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:

db9
Wow, eloquent argumentation is so fascinating.