Is this AmeriKa? or One Nation under Bush. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Because an assassin is going to advertise by a sign?
No I am not saying that. The THREAT is greater is all I am saying. A group of protesters within throwing distance of the President could prove to be a dangerous situation.

I don't care who is President, the secret service has a pre-planned route of LEAST RESISTANCE for every public appearance for the President.

I suppose an assassin could be anywhere they want to be, including the protest line. But, I don't know. I am not an assassin.

Old 01-06-2004, 02:55 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick

No I am not saying that. The THREAT is greater is all I am saying. A group of protesters within throwing distance of the President could prove to be a dangerous situation.

I don't care who is President, the secret service has a pre-planned route of LEAST RESISTANCE for every public appearance for the President.

I suppose an assassin could be anywhere they want to be, including the protest line. But, I don't know. I am not an assassin.
An assassin would blend in as one of his supporters if he's going to attack from a front line like that.

The THREAT of an assassin isn't any greater. What kind of logic is that? A person's going to hold a sign up, draw attention to themselves and then try and sneak over and kill the president?

There's only two reasons they do this; one is yes, the potential of harm, but not by an assassin, by maybe a possible angry protester throwing a bottle or something. But this is the least of reasons because a mob can grow out of supporters too. Have you ever seen a celebrity try and leave a building?

The main reason is morale. In order to keep a politician's morale up they block them from any "negative vibe" from a crowd.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
An assassin would blend in as one of his supporters if he's going to attack from a front line like that.

The THREAT of an assassin isn't any greater. What kind of logic is that? A person's going to hold a sign up, draw attention to themselves and then try and sneak over and kill the president?

There's only two reasons they do this; one is yes, the potential of harm, but not by an assassin, by maybe a possible angry protester throwing a bottle or something. But this is the least of reasons because a mob can grow out of supporters too. Have you ever seen a celebrity try and leave a building?

The main reason is morale. In order to keep a politician's morale up they block them from any "negative vibe" from a crowd.
Exactly .

Angela
Old 01-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 AM
What some are missing is that they are put into secluded areas where media is prohisbited. Doesnt this sound odd?

When a head of state goes into the public to apear is he apearing for the PUBLIC not the ones that favor him. If they are so concerned about security then either dont have public aperances or put him in a bullet proof box..ala the Pope.

There are alot of ways to secure a head of state and some are safer but these are convient for the head of state.

Just use common sense...terrorists dont run around with TERRORIST OR ASSASIN written on their forehead, they BLEND!
Old 01-07-2004, 12:15 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
What some are missing is that they are put into secluded areas where media is prohisbited. Doesnt this sound odd?

When a head of state goes into the public to apear is he apearing for the PUBLIC not the ones that favor him. If they are so concerned about security then either dont have public aperances or put him in a bullet proof box..ala the Pope.

There are alot of ways to secure a head of state and some are safer but these are convient for the head of state.

Just use common sense...terrorists dont run around with TERRORIST OR ASSASIN written on their forehead, they BLEND!

Angela
Old 01-07-2004, 01:00 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 AM
There are so many things that I read that make me laugh at this article....

I am sorry....DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THE POLICE REMOVE EVERY SIGN OPPOSED TO BUSH ALONG THE MOTORCADE ROUTE?

Seriously?

Anyone in here besides me have any experience working with the Secret Service? I cannot speak for everything in this article nor will I attempt to.

But I am going to try and look up an old friend with this article and see what I can find out.

Oooooooo Strom Thurmond Jr. He must be up to no good. He has his daddy's name.

Oh, I did take some time to check on some news reports on the case that Strom Thurmond Jr. was prosecuting and the man was found Guilty. They apparently failed to point out that the "Public" property that Bursey felt that he could DISOBEY THE POLICE ON WAS AN AIRPORT. HELLO!!!!!!!!

Good reporting. But no....it must be Strom Thurmond Jr and Ashcroft's fault. Not that that Police department restricted where this man was trying to go in an AIRPORT where the President was in an area where people with tickets who had been screened and searched were allowed access. Small detail, but, we can paint the picture any way we want.

I really had a crappy day at work. I do not have any more time to investigate this article any further.

I can only say that it was my responsibility to assist and make certain that when any dignitary way moving through the lobby area of the hotel that I worked, the area was clear of pedestrians. That included, locking down the doors to the general public to prevent people from coming in while the dignitary was coming into the lobby from their rooms, to exit the building out onto the streets.

It was NOT uncommon to place barricades in the streets for dignitaries like President Clinton and Vice-President Gore in the street moving crowds far away from the building. It was also not uncommon to have people arrested for making the silliest of comments....even ones overheard in the men's room.

Bill Clinton's 60 Minutes Interview with Hillary saying I am no Tammy Wynette was one of my favorite moments next to protecting Robert Kraft the Day he bought the Patriots.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:46 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 05:09 AM
I dont really care if it were to be Bush or Clinton.

If, for arguements sake, the head of state was having a public address or was making a public apearence for medias sake then protests should be allowed. They should be regulated and contained, as should the supporters, but they should be allowed to be where the head of state is speaking or within the alotted distance supporters are.

I dont claim everything to be true in this article, it doesnt seem to "fair" to me, but i'm pretty sure this does happen, with ALL heads of states and i think its bullshit!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:57 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 AM
I guess, mainly my problem is, the article is not written to protest the way heads of state are treated Bonoman. It is written to portray the President in a certain light. Now in less than five minutes, I found out that in one case they presented half the truth. Is this honest reporting?

Interesting that the man was found guilty yesterday.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Anyone in here besides me have any experience working with the Secret Service?
I don't have any experience myself, but one of my family friends is a retired secret service. He's a great man. He served under Reagan, Bush Sr., and I believe some if not all of Clinton. One of the most impartial men I've ever met. Still to this day will never play partisan politics, he's all about issues and never the party. Never has much to say about Reagan, he really likes Bush Sr.(Bush actually called him while I was talking to him at his daughter's wedding reception to say he's sorry he couldn't make it) but can't stand W, and liked Clinton. He admits to me that they had to do a lot of "silly" things while serving. I'll have to ask him about this sometime.