Is there room for sexuality in children´s books? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Yes, because of course the right way to counteract prejudice is more prejudice
Wow, you really missed his point didn't you?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And isn´t it disturbing that the audience would applaud the fact that he´s gay? Seriously, there´s this whole martyrdom associated with being gay that shouldn´t exist anymore.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

Say what you want, but there´s this whole "homosexual agenda" where everyone is trying to put at least one gay character or one gay person in every show, book. It´s no longer the "token black guy" but the "token gay guy". And that´s what I have a problem with. There´s a time and place for everything and HP books shouldn´t have been used for that.

i know. i get so irritated when they include the "token latino."

we should work to keep things straighter, whiter, male-er.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Hey Irvine511 and Melon, how often do you all meet for the homosexual agenda seminars?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Say what you want, but there´s this whole "homosexual agenda" where everyone is trying to put at least one gay character or one gay person in every show, book. It´s no longer the "token black guy" but the "token gay guy". And that´s what I have a problem with. There´s a time and place for everything and HP books shouldn´t have been used for that.
Is there a hetero agenda? There's far more than at least one straight character in books and tv and movies. There's a time and place for representing all humans in all literature. Dumbledore isn't having explicit sex or any kind of sex, so what's the problem? We should shelter kids so much that we don't even want them reading books that have nurturing characters who just happen to be gay? Are they going to pretend there aren't gay people in the world too?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And isn´t it disturbing that the audience would applaud the fact that he´s gay? Seriously, there´s this whole martyrdom associated with being gay that shouldn´t exist anymore.

the appaluse, i think is for the bravery that Rowling showed, and her more expansive worldview, and her conviction that loveable characters can be gay, and that being gay isn't just about sex.

and, given your reaction, they were right -- i guess, sadly, we do have to call it brave.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Hey Irvine511 and Melon, how often do you all meet for the homosexual agenda seminars?

twice monthly. i'd show you the secret handshake, but i don't want Larry Craig to get any ideas.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Wow, you really missed his point didn't you?
I got his point perfectly, thanks very much, but I'm sure if I ever struggle to understand anything here I'll just ask you and you can use your superior brain function to explain it to me.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think they were applauding that an author is open enough to include all walks of life.

Damn her for not wanting to shelter, repress, and keep our children ignorant!!!

Wow, you just don't get it do you?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #115
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I got his point perfectly
Then why would you think it to be a stereotype? It was obviously satirical in keeping with the fearful mindsets of some of the posters in here.

But nice try.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

I think they were applauding that an author is open enough to include all walks of life.

Damn her for not wanting to shelter, repress, and keep our children ignorant!!!

Wow, you just don't get it do you?

Actually, I don´t.

And I maintain that it was completely pointless to have Dumbledore be gay besides the fact that she just wanted to help "the cause" (can´t call it "agenda" anymore) of having more tolerance towards homosexuals. I have no problem with tolerance. I just have a problem with using a children´s book to further political views about sexuality.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Actually, I don´t.

And I maintain that it was completely pointless to have Dumbledore be gay besides the fact that she just wanted to help "the cause" (can´t call it "agenda" anymore) of having more tolerance towards homosexuals. I have no problem with tolerance. I just have a problem with using a children´s book to further political views about sexuality.
why do you not choose to respond to the questions Irvine and I have asked you? do you have your own agenda??
Old 10-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Actually, I don´t.

Well it's apparent that you don't. The only people who make someone's sexuality a political are conservatives.

Children don't care. Children could deal with having a character that was gay without being proccupied with him, how did you so elequantly put it, that's right..."bent over and taking it like a man". You are the one who has a problem, not the children, and not the conspiracy agenda.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Actually, I don´t.

firstly, there's no logical "view" on homosexuality. it's like having a "view" on red hair or blue eyes or being left-handed.

secondly, i find that it actually deepens Dumbledore's character (again, not knowing much about all this) and gives him more genuine pathos, and that's what she's done -- she points to his great tragedy, unrequited, thrwarted love, which is as universal a literary theme as anything else.

if anything, the "agenda" of the Potter novels is an anti-Bush, anti-Blair, anti-establishment one, right? isn't that what Imelda Staunton's character is all about?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

why do you not choose to respond to the questions Irvine and I have asked you? do you have your own agenda??
´

I´ve read through this thread and have just posted what I could add on the subject but I´ll gladly answer any questions you ask me.