Is there room for sexuality in children´s books? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:02 AM
i still don't understand how an unrequitted love affair (which is not documented in the book) has people shitting bricks. yet i didn't hear a single word of opposition with myrtle making all sorts of innuendo about harry while he's bathing naked.

my guess is

a) people who are complaining have never read the books and are bored and want something to bitch about

or b) there are fans out there who have still not yet read goblet of fire

how come nobody complained about kids being sexualized when these kids are kissing each other in the story?

unrequited. look it up.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:02 AM
And the character belongs to the writer, not the reader.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quite frankly, children are significantly more understanding when it comes to homosexuality than many adults are.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I do think it may be unfortunately to think so - but I would honestly not trust my son to be mentored by a homosexual man.
What about a lesbian?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Quite frankly, children are significantly more understanding when it comes to homosexuality than many adults are.
. Kids don't get nearly enough credit regarding their ability to handle things.

Angela
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I agree, seven year olds calling someone a poof don't mean it in their hearts
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Do you close her eyes when people kiss on the street? Do mommy and daddy only kiss behind closed doors? I'm sorry but I find this to be ridiculous.

So, who cares? Why do you care if they understand that or not?

I'm glad you understand this.

I fail to see how explaining situations to a child in a way that is appropriate for the child's age to be ridiculous. And the examples you've chosen to illustrate your point...flummery.

I care because I'd rather have a child hear and understand fact and make a decision based on those facts. I'd like to use this as the opening of a dialog, to hear the child's views and opinions as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnok

I fail to see how explaining situations to a child in a way that is appropriate for the child's age to be ridiculous. And the examples you've chosen to illustrate your point...flummery.
I didn't say explaining situations to a child in a way that is appropriate for the age ridiculous, I was saying that thinking a 4 year old can't handle a kiss on the lips is ridiculous.

Like I said what do the parents do, not kiss in front of the 4 year old?

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnok

I care because I'd rather have a child hear and understand fact and make a decision based on those facts. I'd like to use this as the opening of a dialog, to hear the child's views and opinions as well.
What? This doesn't even make sense.

You said:
Quote:
The age group of the average Potter reader has the life experiences to understand what it means if a character is gay.
If they can understand then what's the problem? This is what I don't get.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

I can't believe just how much sex some of you seem to think about. And to be frank, I have to wonder about your thought processes and how it is that they differ from mine, because I certainly don't see all of us as potential sex predators. Do you really believe that all adults have some pedophiliac tendencies or something? And gay men have more than others? Can you not imagine an adult who has no such interest in a child and if not, is it because you yourself do? I mean I'm not trying to be offensive here, but what the hell is it about your way of thinking that even goes there constantly? I truly don't get it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #70
Refugee

I'm looking into registering "ifyodaweregay.com".

That's pretty cool.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #71
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Would we think the same about Yoda and Luke if we found out Yoda way gay? I think it would change the dynamic and perhaps add sexual tension for Yoda instead of him simply being frustrated that Luke is a whiner and an impatient learner.

I'm honestly scratching my head here. How would their relationship be any different if Yoda were gay? Are you saying that a mentor can't mentor someone of the gender they're attracted to without sexual tension entering the picture? That a mentor can't be morally upright and do the right thing simply because his/her student is of the gender they're attracted to? I'm sorry, but that's just plain idiotic. Not to mention, Yoda is what....oh, only 870-880 years older than Luke, but you think he's going to let the boy's hot looks get in the way of his task?

I taught piano lessons to a 4th grade girl for a year - every week, one on one for a half hour. Many times sitting right next to her at the piano bench. Not once did sexual tension ever enter the picture. You know why? Because I, as a rational and responsible adult, never even thought about my student as anything other than that: my student. My job was to teach her to play piano, and to treat her with the respect and courtesy that she deserved from a teacher. My piano professor in college was a woman, and she was a mentor to me in many ways, and similarly, there was never any sexual tension. Why? Because she was a rational and responsible adult and understood her role.

Honestly, do you realize how absolutely absurd you sound? Are you that afraid of everyone, that poor a judge of character that you'd rather shelter your child from everything rather than expose them to wonderful people of all walks of life because there's the infinitely small chance someone may act inappropriately?

How do you step out your front door in the morning?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I am worried that I am gay. I loved Dumbledore. Now I am questioning my sexuality. Anyone know a good book to help me with this>?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

How do you step out your front door in the morning?
It sounds like there are quite a few in here that may have this problem...

They have medication for this.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I am not really familiar with who youth pastors usually are--are you saying you would insist your church have both straight female and straight male youth pastors, so that your daughter and son both have someone who wouldn't "have a sexual motive" to talk to?

It may be a bit beside the point, but I also think this assumes more parental control over who your children might choose as mentors than actually exists. Sure, your son might see his (straight male) youth pastor as someone he'd want to discuss "life decisions" with, but then again he might prefer a favorite teacher or coach from school for that. At my high school the two most popular 'mentor figures' were a (female, straight) English teacher and a (male, not-sure-since-I-never-knew-him) basketball and debate team coach. Kids of all genders, races and clique types looked up to both of them and would drop by their rooms after school or during lunch period to talk with them about all kinds of things. I knew a few straight boys who talked to the English teacher about their romantic relationships (I don't mean she gave them sex tips, I mean the sort of thing where she might say "I think you're both very young to be getting this serious about each other and spending so much time together to the exclusion of other friends" and so on). I'm sure some guys might've been uncomfortable with that, but plenty of them weren't. Yes, sometimes adults in authority positions do violate that trust, but you can't go through life assuming the worst about authority figures based merely on their gender, sexual orientation, race, whatever.
I'm a bit short on time this evening so I aplogize for the brief response.

In essence, I think it would be most appropiate to have male and female Youth Pastors. Many times this is official, but it is often unofficial (in many churches they are a husband and wife team, usually young adults in their 20's or 30's).

I generally do not like to see men or women counseling youth of the opposite sex in private (something I think is under the umbrella of mentoring). This is for several reasons - and one of them is to protect the adult from false accusations. Another reason is that I think it is best to remove sex from being a factor as much as possible in these types of relationships.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I can't believe just how much sex some of you seem to think about. And to be frank, I have to wonder about your thought processes and how it is that they differ from mine, because I certainly don't see all of us as potential sex predators. Do you really believe that all adults have some pedophiliac tendencies or something? And gay men have more than others? Can you not imagine an adult who has no such interest in a child and if not, is it because you yourself do? I mean I'm not trying to be offensive here, but what the hell is it about your way of thinking that even goes there constantly? I truly don't get it.
I think part of the confusion is that Harry ends up as a young man...not a child.

The comparison of Dumbledore to a pedophile doesn't exactly fit here. I think the uneasiness comes from the fact Dumbledore was a mentor while Harry was coming of age - a central theme in the books - and not just babysitting him at the nursery.

I also wonder how much Rowling is pandering. If it wasn't such a big deal for her - then why didn't she just say in the story? It's like Margaret Mitchell holding a press conference in 1943 that Rhett Butler was really a Freemason.