Is there room for sexuality in children´s books? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #226
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Don't you think that may be furthering the agenda?

What kind of father are you?
Haha!

The kind that is planning on dressing like dumbledore!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i don't get what you are saying here...
it was unnecessary for her to honestly answer an honest question by an honest fan?
Answering your question:

She was asked if Dumbledore ever did find love. She answered with a "Oh, he's gay." Which I thought was unnecessary and seemed like she pulled it out of her ass at the last minute.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #228
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Haha!

The kind that is planning on dressing like dumbledore!!!
You know, I was actually wryly thinking earlier that there will probably be quite a few parents returning Dumbledore costumes to Wal-Mart in a huff over this. Which would almost be funny, except that it's not.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
She was asked if Dumbledore ever did find love. She answered with a "Oh, he's gay." Which I thought was unnecessary and seemed like she pulled it out of her ass at the last minute.
How did you interpret it as unnecessary and "pulled out of her ass?"

I mean, from her explanation, I think she'd thought this for a while.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

How did you interpret it as unnecessary and "pulled out of her ass?"

I mean, from her explanation, I think she'd thought this for a while.

Quite a lot of time went by between each book's writing process and release. It wasn't brought it up then and I'm sure she had one of those Q&A's in between those years.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #231
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Answering your question:

But where do you get this, "pulled out of her ass.." bit?

Can't you see how you make no sense in here? You never answer anything based on logic, just gut feelings.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #232
ONE
love, blood, life

There would never have been a reason to ask the question before book 7. Book 7 just came out a few months ago.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #233
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Quite a lot of time went by between each book's writing process and release. It wasn't brought it up then and I'm sure she had one of those Q&A's in between those years.
This was her first tour of North America since 2000.

Book 7 only came out recently.

The question was essentially, "Since it wasn't blatantly written in the books as such, does Dumbledore ever fall in love?" The form of that has to be after book 7.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #234
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I hate it when facts get in the way...
Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

This was her first tour of North America since 2000.

Book 7 only came out recently.

The question was essentially, "Since it wasn't blatantly written in the books as such, does Dumbledore ever fall in love?" The form of that has to be after book 7.
You're right the form of that particular question had to be after book 7. The form of the answer could've been in any question regarding Dumbledore.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #236
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Not to be picky, but the transcript is as follows:

Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

JKR: My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay.[ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!"

Doesn't seem to me like she pulled it out of her ass.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You're right the form of that particular question had to be after book 7. The form of the answer could've been in any question regarding Dumbledore.
The character had not developed to the point he had before Book 7, and she hadn't been on a tour to have questions asked of her like that before Book 7, so again ... no, it could not have.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 PM   #238
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The form of the answer could've been in any question regarding Dumbledore.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose

Not to be picky, but the transcript is as follows:

Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

JKR: My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay.[ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!"

Doesn't seem to me like she pulled it out of her ass.

My opinion on that is that it's very convenient of her to say things like that.

The "ovation" part of the paragraph you quoted mirrors exactly what I'm against. I can't stand the sanctifying of homosexuals and how people applaud the fact that someone's gay. That is what bothers me. And before anyone even suggests it, let me say that I'm not saying that they should be frowned upon but this whole attitude of making homosexuality a "noble cause" should be seen just as ridiculously as viewing heterosexuality as a noble cause.

It's the attitude I'm against. The attitude of setting an example and throwing in here and there a gay character in a children's book for the sake of furthering tolerance.

So I stand by my post, children's books are not the adequate forum to address those issues.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

By saying, "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!" to me, seems to be the telling part, that she really hadn't thought about the reaction everyone would have.

But the key thing you're missing here, which I will capitalize to hopefully make you comprehend, is that SHE DIDN'T PUT HIM IN FOR THE SAKE OF FURTHERING TOLERANCE. If you've read the books, it MAKES SENSE THAT DUMBLEDORE IS GAY.