Is there room for sexuality in children´s books? - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I can't believe some people would stop reading her books because of this. If anything I would be even more impressed by her integrity and her refusal to underestimate her audience.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #197
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and i love what JK's attitude seems to be: fuck 'em.
Which is exactly the right attitude to take.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

honestly, no. homophobia aside (and, honestly, i don't think she'd want to have such idiots as readers anyway), it's totally bogus to have an "opinion" on the backstory of the character. it's like having an opinion the fact that Harry has glasses.
Well, bogus or not, people will have different opinions (or reactions, if you prefer) to this particular bit of backstory. After all, it carries more weight than, say, the hero of the story wearing glasses.

I wish none of her readers (ie, the fanbase that has all 7 books and goes on sites etc...) wouldn't react negatively but some do, and I just think it's too bad that the story that got millions of young people into reading again will not be read anymore (in some cases) or not even be read at all with some kid in, say, 2015: "Can I read/buy HP, Mum/Dad?" "No, because of Dumbledore". Or, in a more near future, that kids that liked the books may be banned from watching the last two movies. See what I mean ? I know the adults that were anti-Potter from day one will stil dislike it, I just think there is a considerable crack coming between fans, present and potential/future. It's not about sales.

Vintage Punk: yes, she answered other questions, but to be fair, none had quote the major impact of this answer. While "did he ever fall in love" and "did he ever find true love" isn't the same, the answer could, then, be "yes", then explain the details in the encyclopedia.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Again, we should base decisions off the ignorant?

Hasn't it been proven by book banning that kids are more interested in reading books they aren't allowed to, anyway?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #200
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

"Can I read/buy HP, Mum/Dad?" "No, because of Dumbledore". Or, in a more near future, that kids that liked the books may be banned from watching the last two movies.
And again, any parent who forbids their child from reading or seeing the movie because of this is a bigot to begin with, so I'm sure JK won't shed too many tears over the lost sales.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Vintage Punk: yes, she answered other questions, but to be fair, none had quote the major impact of this answer. While "did he ever fall in love" and "did he ever find true love" isn't the same, the answer could, then, be "yes", then explain the details in the encyclopedia.
Again, her simply replying "yes" to the question without elaboration would go against her M.O. since the book was published. Since that time, she has seemed quite eager to share information when asked about characters, plot lines, or her writing process. Why should the information about Dumbledore be an exception?

I can't bring myself to worry about those who are so narrow-minded that they wouldn't read the book because of this, and I suspect JK feels the same way. It's their loss.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Or, in a more near future, that kids that liked the books may be banned from watching the last two movies. See what I mean ? I know the adults that were anti-Potter from day one will stil dislike it, I just think there is a considerable crack coming between fans, present and potential/future. It's not about sales.

because the best way to combat prejudice is to run away from confrontation and try not to upset the apple cart.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #203
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Why should she not give the question a full answer in person? Because of the ignorant, bigotted and/or uninformed? How are we as a society going to progress if we constantly cater to the bigots?

And where do you draw the line? Should authors also not admit that their characters are minorities? Surely there are some bigots who would refuse to buy a book if it's main character was black, mexican, asian, etc... Stop writing characters that have interracial marriages as well, right?

This line of thinking - this, 'she shouldn't say things because the ignorant will take offense' is just completely irrational.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #204
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, bogus or not, people will have different opinions (or reactions, if you prefer) to this particular bit of backstory. After all, it carries more weight than, say, the hero of the story wearing glasses.

I wish none of her readers (ie, the fanbase that has all 7 books and goes on sites etc...) wouldn't react negatively but some do, and I just think it's too bad that the story that got millions of young people into reading again will not be read anymore (in some cases) or not even be read at all with some kid in, say, 2015: "Can I read/buy HP, Mum/Dad?" "No, because of Dumbledore". Or, in a more near future, that kids that liked the books may be banned from watching the last two movies. See what I mean ? I know the adults that were anti-Potter from day one will stil dislike it, I just think there is a considerable crack coming between fans, present and potential/future. It's not about sales.
So send them back to the closet in order to appease those that can't handle it?

Basically you and BEB believe in the same thing.

I don't think she'll have any problem with future readers. Society is slowing growing up, yes there will always be the cc's don't read anything Dobson didn't write, but honestly I don't think she cares. As far as current readers, I'm sure a few parents may not buy the book for kids, but if their kids are hooked they'll read it, they'll find a way. Like I said, most kids don't care.

Screw appeasing the bigots!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

And again, any parent who forbids their child from reading or seeing the movie because of this is a bigot to begin with, so I'm sure JK won't shed too many tears over the lost sales.
So forget the child too ?

If a parent says "I don't want to read this", that is their choice, however ignorant it may be, it just bothers me the child will get cut out too, and not even be given a chance. That's all.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #206
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

If a parent says "I don't want to read this", that is their choice, however ignorant it may be, it just bothers me the child will get cut out too, and not even be given a chance. That's all.
There's libraries or they will find a way to borrow the book, come on weren't you ever a kid?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

and then the child will grow up, and get a credit card, and order it from Amazon, and read it to see what she's been missing all these years.

the best way to make a child want something is to tell her she can't have it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #208
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:12 PM
I used to buy Harlequin romances from the local Goodwill as a teen, and hide them under my mattress.

Mom didn't want me reading them, I read them anyway, and I turned out just fine. The sex scenes didn't make me into some wanton harlot.

(Neither did listening to Madonna's "Like a Virgin." When my mom objected to my buying a copy of the 45, I rolled my eyes and told her I only liked it for the beat. )

Anyway, to the topic at hand, if the kid wants to read it, they will find a way to read it, despite what their parents say. Which is what they should do. God forbid some child believes that something they read will turn them evil. Or - worse - teh gay!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Hasn't it been proven by book banning that kids are more interested in reading books they aren't allowed to, anyway?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict

Irvine: and until they grow up ? Maybe HP won't excite them anymore once they read it.

Bonovoxsupastar and phillyfan: that may be, but aren't you missing the parent (control) factor ?