Is there room for sexuality in children´s books? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #181
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Leaving aside accusations of pandering to a specific group, or of forwarding an agenda, and looking at it from purely a plot perspective (which I think is the only logical way to look at it, the rest is silliness, IMO), I think JK's revelation is a positive thing.

My daughter and I were discussing this last night and came to the conclusion that Dumbledore's infatuation goes a long way toward explaining a plot point from the final book, something that, at the time, seemed incredibly out of character for him. Now that we know his motivation, it seems very understandable, it humanizes him and makes him seem fallible, prone to emotion and poor judgment, like the rest of us are, at times.

Something I quoted from JK a page ago:

Quote:
"I think a child will see a friendship and I think a sensitive adult may well understand that it was an infatuation," she said.
I'm apparently not a sensitive adult, because I didn't pick up on a romantic longing at all, when I read it.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

BrownEyedBoy - I must ask you: Do you still not know after 13 pages that she only mentioned this in an answer to a question?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what is there to handle?

she gave the backstory on a character.

i'm so sick of this. people who have a problem with this need to grow up.

honestly.
Calm down.

I don't care whether Dumbledore chases every witch skirt (or every wizard pants) he wants to (that part of wizard world doesn't interest me - and we never heard anything about Dumbledore's romances anyway), but this will just give more ammo to the "HP books are spoiling kids. Witchcraft!" crowd (I'm surprised they're not having a field day with the last book and the obvious saviour/Christ-like Harry). It will stop some kids from being allowed to read the books and worst of all, it is dividing her own fanbase.

I'm curious if the last two movies' attendance will be affected...

The question itself was "did Dumbledore find true love?" and she could have just said "No." and put this info in the forthcoming HP encyclopedia and reduce all the hoopla that way. It wasn't relevant to the story either (actually only one out of all the romances in the entire story was). The books still work if you look at Dumbledore and Grindelwald as best friends (which is how I always see it, same goes for the "gays" in LOTR), thank you for that post, VintagePunk.

I also don't get the bravery that some proclaim - it's a fictional character. All the uproar is ridicoulusly blown out of proportion.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

the Aussie i dated, briefly, had interesting things to say about mateship and being gay.

but that's for another time.
Self selecting sample
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #185
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, so she dictate her books and characters based on how the ignorant will respond.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #186
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

it is dividing her own fanbase.
What's to divide, the Christian right has already stopped reading her books, who cares?

Quote:

I'm curious if the last two movies' attendance will be affected...

The question itself was "did Dumbledore find true love?" and she could have just said "No." and put this info in the forthcoming HP encyclopedia and reduce all the hoopla that way. It wasn't relevant to the story either (actually only one out of all the romances in the entire story was). The books still work if you look at Dumbledore and Grindelwald as best friends (which is how I always see it, same goes for the "gays" in LOTR), thank you for that post, VintagePunk.

I also don't get the bravery that some proclaim - it's a fictional character. All the uproar is ridicoulusly blown out of proportion.
You just made the point of bravery. Thank you very much for doing so. You said, "it could have been handled better", and "she could have just said no", but she didn't even though it may piss off the bigots. She did what she thought was right and be honest about the backstory that she developed.

Could of been handled better?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #187
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
[B]
It will stop some kids from being allowed to read the books and worst of all, it is dividing her own fanbase.
I can't see this being a huge factor in kids being allowed or not allowed to read the book. I have a feeling that the ones bothered by this would be the ones who probably wouldn't let them read it to begin with. I could be wrong though, that's just speculation.

Quote:

Not to be nitpicky, but you worded the original question wrong, which changes the context (and therefore the answer) in a subtle way. The original exchange went like this:

Quote:

Q: Did Dumbledore, who believed in the prevailing power of love, ever fall in love himself?

JKR: My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay. [ovation.] ... Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extent? But, he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!
IMO, there's quite a difference between did he find true love?, in which the answer probably would have been "no," and "did he ever fall in love?" in which the answer is essentially "yes, and it made him behave in ways that were out of character for him."

So, in that context, I believe that it really does make a difference to the plot, and the way that Dumbledore and his behaviour can be viewed.

Also, I'd just like to add that on JK's current book-reading jaunt, she's given a considerable amount of backstory and post-book information about many of the characters, not just Dumbledore.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It will stop some kids from being allowed to read the books and worst of all, it is dividing her own fanbase.

firstly, don't tell me to clam down. i'm so sick of putting up with this bullshit (in general, not you specifically, not at all) and i think i'm nearly always very, very calm when discussing these things that are so unbelievably offensive and stupid and ignorant.

however, perhaps Rowling is more focused on the integrity of her characters than she is on maximizing her book sales?

i mean, just maybe, she doesn't give a shit what the bigots think ...
Old 10-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 AM
I'm not talking about bigots, it's more about her readers.

Have you tried visiting any of the HP sites ? There are negative reactions too, including the extreme "I will never read HP again".

And yes, I think she could have chosen another way to do it. Can't people have an opinion on what she says ?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Self selecting sample

actually, he said it wasn't an issue with his mates. it wasn't acknowledged, either, even though they all knew he was gay, it just never came up lest the mateship be interrupted. so it was kind of like farting in public -- you know it's there, but you just don't acknowledge it for the sake of social harmony.

he also explained "mateship" in an Aussie context -- that it had something to do with a history of living in such a harsh environment and having to depend on your mates to such a degree that certain bonds are formed and maintained at nearly all costs for the sake of mere survival.

if memory serves. it was only a couple of dates.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #191
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Have you tried visiting any of the HP sites ? There are negative reactions too, including the extreme "I will never read HP again".

And yes, I think she could have chosen another way to do it. Can't people have an opinion on what she says ?

honestly, no. homophobia aside (and, honestly, i don't think she'd want to have such idiots as readers anyway), it's totally bogus to have an "opinion" on the backstory of the character. it's like having an opinion the fact that Harry has glasses.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 PM
^So you see, the Hobbits are not gay, unless of course Samwise was overcompensating with those 13 children
Old 10-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #193
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:

No, you are talking about bigots. If any of her readers stop reading her books just because of this, they're bigots. It's as simple as that.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

If any of her readers stop reading her books because of this, then they are bigots.

and i love what JK's attitude seems to be: fuck 'em.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #195
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

No, you are talking about bigots. If any of her readers stop reading her books just because of this, they're bigots. It's as simple as that.

Not only that, they're missing out on great literature for the most inane of reasons.