Is there an afterlife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
What are people's views on whether or not there is an afterlife?

Is death the end, or the beginning of another type of existence?
I'm interested in people's views on this one, please state your reasons for or against believing in an afterlife.

Personally, I think not, the hard scientific evidence for an afterlife doesn't amount to a hill of beans at this point.

financeguy said:
What are people's views on whether or not there is an afterlife?

Is death the end, or the beginning of another type of existence?
I'm interested in people's views on this one, please state your reasons for or against believing in an afterlife.

Personally, I think not, the hard scientific evidence for an afterlife doesn't amount to a hill of beans at this point.

I'm also having a hard time getting the data from the dead, must be a common problem.

there is too much medical evidence, dr's and hospice nurse's testimonies who see ppl slip from this realm to the next.

Many medical professionals have watched the expressions and sometime conversations that dying patients have with ppl on the other side of the veil.

Yes there is an afterlife and this life is only a dress rehersal.

db9

people need to spend more time getting this life right

afterlife should be a loop of your life
like 'ground hog day'

from your birth to your death, repeated over and over again, with no changes.

it would either be heaven or hell
and you wrote the script

gosh i hope so, but it seems as if life is more important, and there's little proof of anything. live as best you can, and the afterlife will take care of itself.

medical evidence doesn't mean much to me
the human brain could just react on things all of us have heard about

I sincerely hope deep is right :up:

but I do believe in a state of grace after this ends

U2democrat said:
I just hope I don't get reincarnated because I really don't want to go to school again. :wink:
:lol: I agree, I hope the hindus made the whole thing up. Not to start a religius forum war or anything, but 120 years is the most I can stand in this world of ours (I don't really expect to live 120 years).

Just be happy with the lives you've got now you ungrateful sods.

The answer is NO.

If there is no afterlife, then there is no point in Life. Where did we come from, why are we here, why do we create religion? There are all questions that point to the existence of an after life, not nessecarily the answers to them, but the fact that they are there in the first place. I belive God gave us physical being in order to proove ourselves worthy of heaven. If our souls are not pure, then that will be reflected in our lives. That's what I believe. And if it matters, scientific evidence on an afterlife doesn't mean shit, because the existence of an afterlife wouldn't leave any evidence on this world anyway. It's a whole other plane of being.

I don't think there is.

But if there is, reincarnation makes the most sense to me. I just can't see sitting around on clouds for ever and ever. (Or burning in hell either -- for all of you who think that's where I'm going. Of course, if I'm going to hell, I guess we'll all just start up "Hell's FYM" and keep debating, 'cause if I'm going there, so are all of you. :D )

financeguy said:
I find the idea of oblivion scarier than hell.

Really? That's wild. I've always rather fancied oblivion.

To be rational is to be agnostic and to take the view that we don't know. However, being an irrational individual myself, I believe in an afterlife, since I feel, and this is why I feel many humans do who choose to instead of being allowed to be guided by their parents, peers, so forth, that religion transcends rationality in it's existence. It is good to drive the point home, though, that logically, a statement that an afterlife exists, is illogical.

Last edited:
BigIdeas said:
To be rational is to be agnostic and to take the view that we don't know. However, being an irrational individual myself, I believe in an afterlife, since I feel, and this is why I feel many humans do who choose to instead of being allowed to be guided by their parents, peers, so forth, that religion transcends rationality in it's existence. It is good to drive the point home, though, that logically, a statement that an afterlife exists, is illogical.

Do you mean illogical in the sense that there is insufficient proof? If so, I would agree. It seems to be that stating that there is an afterlife is an extraordinary statement, and therefore requires extraordinary proof. Obviously Christians (for example) would argue that extraodinary proof has already been provided.

financeguy said:

At least if I go to hell I can meet all the drugged out dead rock stars!:wink:

And don't forget the holier than thou religious types either, especially the televangalists, they'll be there too. ;) I'm just hoping they'll be in another room. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
indra said:

And don't forget the holier than thou religious types either, especially the televangalists, they'll be there too. ;)

I know you are joking, but I have seen some sincere televangelists. I've seen a few others that are obviously on the take. We have the Christian channel here on digital TV now but only relatively recently - the Irish mind has not really grown accustomed to televangelists yet.

Back
Top Bottom