Is the IRA Still around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
i'm curious...I heard about the peace accord in 2005 and the end to violent acts but then I hear about firebombs and random blasts across the country being linked to the IRA...are these splinter groups? Who is running what now?

Yes, the IRA is still around. From what I know, they're currently on a ceasefire, but whether that is true or not, I'm not sure.

I spent time in Ireland in 2001 studying the peace process and the troubles with a group from my university, and I find this stuff fascinating. I used to keep up on all the news, but I just don't have the time to any more.

While I was there, our group met with Martin McGuinness, who is the Chief Negotiator of Sinn Fein, as well as many other interesting people high up in the political and religious spectrums there. He was very fascinating to talk to, and we also got a pretty hilarious picture taken with him on the steps of Stormont. :)

europop2005 said:
i'm curious...I heard about the peace accord in 2005 and the end to violent acts but then I hear about firebombs and random blasts across the country being linked to the IRA...are these splinter groups? Who is running what now?

Yes the IRA is still around but they've now given up arms. However there are a number of republican splinter groups and there were reports in the news last week that there's a worry that they may try to disrupt upcoming political talks with a bombing campaign. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6088980.stm

Back
Top Bottom