Is sharing your art/experience/poetry/music cheapening it? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2002, 03:43 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:29 AM
This can be branched off into many fascinating discussions so I am finding it hard to concentrate... there are just so many things to consider and all of you have brought up excellent points.

What I had in mind was more general, I think. I wasn't thinking of just art but experience as well. For instance, sometimes I want to confide in someone, anyone, about something I went through. It may not necessarily be a poem I wrote, but just a part of my life that I want to express (key word). Yet I am reluctant to get it off my chest for fear that the person I relate it to will not fully appreciate the experience and might just forget about it after that. That sort of reaction makes me feel that I have casted pearls before swine, so to speak; as if I have wasted my energy in expressing to someone who does not appreciate it as I do. This is what I mean by the art/experience being cheapened. As Karaoke put it, the story, my story, has been whored.

With regards to 'art', I really like what Wanderer said about the art that is put out being detached from the artist and hence operates independently, neither drawing attention to the artist nor raising questions about him. I would like to get away from being a confessional poet and expressionistic artist. I think it would be a great solution as people would be critiquing the Idea and not my self. That way I wouldn't be peddling a part of my brain/heart only to have people chew 1% and throw away the rest. But is it really so simple???

"there needs to be some level of confusion in art"--that sounds fascinating. Can you elaborate on that, Wanderer?

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

Old 03-11-2002, 03:56 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 PM
I agree with Karaoke, choose your confidants carefully, and I also feel the same way about feeling cheap when telling something I feel I shouldn't (for the sake of art or not). When times get tough though, telling someone what is going on can save your life.

If art is the only way for you to express your unhappiness or whatever, then express yourself using that medium. Let the audience puzzle over the meaning of your work of art.

there needs to be some level of confusion in art"--that sounds fascinating. Can you elaborate on that, Wanderer?

very platonic philosophy here...art is a mere reflection of reality. It's just a representation.

Also.. I think Gustav Holst once said that for art, the subject doesn't matter.

Yet I am reluctant to get it off my chest for fear that the person I relate it to will not fully appreciate the experience and might just forget about it after that. That sort of reaction makes me feel that I have casted pearls before swine, so to speak; as if I have wasted my energy in expressing to someone who does not appreciate it as I do.

Like Van Gogh in his time...Impressionism wasn't considered art, and now his works are worth millions. There will always be an audience for any work of art. If it isn't popular, it doesn't mean that it isn't appreciated.

------------------
id love adam to perform for me..wearing only cologne and a smile

[This message has been edited by madamc (edited 03-11-2002).]