Is sex sacred?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is sex sacred?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No, it is pure animal activity.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Well, it's supposed to be.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I wouldn't know.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • I hope so.

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
Two questions:

1. Do you mean "Is sex always sacred?" or "Is sex sometimes sacred?"

2. What do you mean by "sacred"? Set apart solely for religious worship? Worthy of religious devotion itself? Or what?

Can sex be sacred? And by sacred, I mean transcending the primal, animal aspect of it.

"Set apart solely for religious worship" -- haha

foray

Ah. I would have phrased it, "Can human sex be spiritual?"

At any rate, I vote an emphatic "yes." It not only can be spiritual, but I suspect human sex is always spiritual, that it has an aspect that transcends mere animal reactions.

That's not to say that the spiritual aspect is always a good thing; I believe pride to be a sin, and it is most certainly a spiritual sin. At its best, sex is the most intimate connection shared by two souls, perfect symbiosis in which the one uplifts the other. At its worst, it is still the connecting of souls, but it is a connection in which one dominates the other (rape, in the most violent case; selfish seduction in the most devious case).

At its best, it lives up to the single word, "union." At its worst, "conquest."

Bono's right: like music, though it we can glimpse God. And through it, we can also see the devil.

I'd rather not dwell on the songs that are sexual in the worst sense of the word (STP's "Sex Type Thing" comes immediately to mind), but consider some of U2's most sexual songs:

Promenade
Your Blue Room
In a Little While

(The first two are obvious: I believe IALW's bass line gives it away.)

It's hard to describe exactly how these songs uplift the soul - and equally hard to imagine the joy of my wedding night with the girl I love. Instead of trying, I'll will quote The Shawshank Redemption, when Red heard "The Marriage of Figaro" from within the prison walls:

I have no idea to this day what them two Italian ladies were singin' about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I like to think they were singin' about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it.

It can be as spiritual as you want it to be.
It can be as carnal as you want it to be.

I think it all depends on who you're doing it with and how you feel about each other. Bono's statement is one I'd agree with, bu argue if I said; well, what if they're doing it because she's drunk and desperate? That doesn't sound like looking into the eyes of God to me.

However, the quote I HAVE heard is that 'to fall in love is to look into the face of God'. That, I do agree with wholeheartedly.

Sex and love don't always go together.

Ant.

I think sex is supposed to be sacred, but for many it is often not, though....like rape is also sex, but in no case sacred at all - and some other cases as well......

This is research for something I'm working on.

Interesting responses so far. It'd be more interesting to hear from some Marrieds.

foray

Research huh? You know you can get books to help you....Ok, Ok, sorry, but someone had to make a joke. ok, well no one HAD to...

Aherm.

Sex can be many things fors. It serves 2 purposes and can be fulfilled in so many different ways. We, I believe strive to make it something more than just animal instincts, we get romantic notions etc, we aim for a higher plane etc. Some people I guess are like this majority of the time with sex and we call it making lurve. I dont believe though that we all live our lives like a Mills and Boon romance novel. There aren't always shooting stars and fireworks. We dont have a flower filled field to romp in, we dont make beautiful love for hours under the bright moonlight on a beach, we dont have hot unhibited sex on a washing machine without getting twigs sticking into us or sand in places sand shouldn't be.
I guess what I mean (before my fatigue makes me type things I shouldn't) is we have ideas on what it should be, and sometimes we match that. But lets look at reality sex. Most of the time its at the end of the day when we are dog tired, we may feel in the mood so we squeeze it in before falling alseep for the night. We envisage scenarios that match your question of sex being sacred. It may seem like I'm going off topic a bit, but bear with me a sec. You asked about marrieds. I think in most relationships, and I think this is where there is little difference between marriage and long term relationships, you reach a point where all the preconceived romantic ideals are not so common in practice. Sex is something you have on some kind of regularity that matches your circumstances. Its not a new thing anymore, you are so comfortable with your other half, you know their desires, their wants, the whole bag. You can anticipate what will happen. But in all its familiarity, its regularity, its lack of newness and fireworks, it is a beautiful thing. It is on another level, but in what it becomes it is sacred. Its a connection of a deeper kind. It is one more beautiful experience shared, adding another piece of completeness to your lives as a unit. I guess in a nutshell, its not just the act anymore, but the whole caper around it. The actual act is beautiful sure, but so is the comfort, the familiarity, the recognition. It is sacred. It is special. Spiritual, sure, if thats what you would prefer to call it.
I've raved on. Prolly gone off topic. Sex is something I'm swearing off. Last time I had it I got pregnant. I dont think I'm qualified to answer.
Hmm.

well thanks foray...u have given me a place to say this. I am reluctant to start topics so ..ty

I have been listening to the radio ..again. What sounded like the nicest man from Colorado is in Australia at the moment. He will be lecturing at Sydney University on Thursday night. He has written a book, his second, called "Resurrecting Sex". I plan to look for it, he sounded so on the ball. He said it is the kind of book he wished someone had written for him to access when he was younger. I have no idea if it is any good but he used words like compassion and generosity, emotional gridlock, validation and spoke with such warmth and humour. I think his name is Dr David Schnauss (spelling, anyone heard of him?) I'll find it somewhere.

he actually used the words compassion and generosity( gosh he was interesting!!) in connection to the difference between humans and animals... and about self-development, fascinating.

PS: I saw ANOTHER documentary last night. about Roy Orbison "Uncle Roy" :heart:

so I have a new signature...

Thanks for the replies so far. I must say, I agree with the Marrieds spot on. Personally, I feel that one cannot truly answer this question without having been in a long-term relationship that involves sex. To say that sex is "always sacred" is naive.

Another question: Can the 'first time' be a spiritual experience, or is it always lust? (think Romeo and Juliet)

foray

Of course it's pure animal activity. We're animals remember. Boosted by some very basic instincts, a hormonal overdose and other chemical reactions, that make you feel lovey dovey, horny, romantic, together, one, in love, loving, attractive, unattractive or whatever you feel when having sex, it stays very natural and very animal and the idea behind is just the same as with many/most other animals. Passing on your genes and giving them the best possible opportunity to do well. Now, you don't think about that when having sex (at least I hope so), yo just do it 'cause it feels great (again, I hope so), but the reason for it being great is in no way magical or sacred, or you'll have to define nature itself as sacred.

I dont know if sex is sacred. I think that it is more then just an animal instinct for humans, after all humans are I think the only animal that have sex for pleasure. I think that sex is just special.

adamswildhoney said:
....after all humans are I think the only animal that have sex for pleasure.

I don't know if this following is right, but some weeks ago I read somewhere on the net that humans and dolphins would be the only creatures who have sex for pleasure........ :eyebrow: But I don't know if this is true. :D

For me, anyway- sex is something only to be shared with someone you care about a great deal, and understands the magnitude of the act. It's a very big deal with me.

It's generally pretty great, but has the potential to be a moving, spiritual connection between two people.

RavenStar said:

since when are we above animals?

since we reason...use logic...have real feelings...have things like kindness, caring, and love...we have love, it's not just for mating...that's why sex is sacred...because it's not merely reproduction, rather it's also for love...

i wouldn't have experience or anything, but it seems like a pity to me...one thing that was meant to be special is so misused...

Love isn't just there for reproduction, I also believe that. However, why should it be sacred and not animal? Because we can't comprehend it? Because it makes us feel good?
And the reason why we should be above animals:
since we reason...use logic...have real feelings...have things like kindness, caring, and love...we have love
That's a bit arrogant isn't it.
I say many animals are above humans, since may of them can fly, smell better, hear better, see better, do not commit genocide, are bigger, are smaller.
What I mean is, it's just about priorities, you name the things you think distinguishes you from other animals and call those features higher, also because YOU think those things are important, maybe they also are, but then mostly just in the HUMAN world. I personally give much higher to the ability to fly and think that is the highest and best feauture one can get so don't shoot the pigeon!!!

when i said we are "higher" than animals, i meant more complex and sophisticated...i guess...i mean, i think that the world is becoming a worse and worse place to life, and i am ashamed of what my fellow humans do...but i think that we are "above" animals because we do run the world...we are more developed.....

If no one else is willing to say it, I will:

We are higher than the animals because we have the ability to reason, free will, and immortal souls - all of which are gifts of God that do not seem to apply to animals.

Certainly, we are capable of very, very inhumane acts (consider the word: inhumane), but because we are capable of cruelty, we are ALSO capable of meaningful kindness.

Because we can experience true, diabolical hatred, we are also capable of transcendent love.

No one has really commented yet on the distinction between sex and GREAT sex.

In my humble opinion, half of great lovemaking occurs in the brain, not the body parts. It always involves the connection with the other person - be it a loving, spiritual connection or just pure, unadulterated lust. Therein the difference depends on someone's ability and willingness to share themselves intimately beyond just sharing their body. I think sharing your soul is more intimate and sacred than sharing your body. And the two combined is a very potent and powerful force of nature.

Stories for Boys said:

since we reason...use logic...have real feelings...have things like kindness, caring, and love...we have love, it's not just for mating...that's why sex is sacred...because it's not merely reproduction, rather it's also for love...

Um, animals most certainly do have real feelings, and kindness, caring, and love. (And immortal souls)

But anyway,yeah, sex for us is supposed to be about love, ideally.:yes:

I voted "Well, its supposed to be"(sacred). Theres no doubt or question about that.

Last edited:
AliEnvy said:
No one has really commented yet on the distinction between sex and GREAT sex.

In my humble opinion, half of great lovemaking occurs in the brain, not the body parts. It always involves the connection with the other person - be it a loving, spiritual connection or just pure, unadulterated lust. Therein the difference depends on someone's ability and willingness to share themselves intimately beyond just sharing their body. I think sharing your soul is more intimate and sacred than sharing your body. And the two combined is a very potent and powerful force of nature.

EXACTLY!!! :attn: :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom