Is rap music one of the main contributions to youth delinquency - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Is rap music one of the main contributions to youth delinquency

My friend and I were having a discussion on rap music earlier and he says rap music does not influence youth today to commit acts of violence, etc......

I think he is wrong but not 100%. Rap music and some television shows due influence our youth of today. If you look out how the youth is today they are more prone to violence I believe. They intimidate people and threaten people. If you listen to most of rap music today it's commercialized garbage with no real quality to it. except for The Roots, Wyclef, and Kanye. Listen to other rap music talks about, murder, money, drugs, sex etc.... and if the children of today listen to that over and over it brainwashes them and it show with they way they dress, and how they disrepect and want others to respect them or else.

What are your opinions or am I wrong?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:38 PM
I would tend to agree with you. The problem is when you come out and say things like this, you get berated for it. I believe Bill Cosby spoke out against the ghetto culture at the NAACP a couple years ago and how it needs to change, but then took a lot of heat for what he said.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Bill Cosby was right on the Ball. When a child dies they claim the violence needs to stop, then please be a parent and controll your child until he is 18 and be a better role model.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Acrobat

I think it has more of an affect onafrican american youth culture, but it is a problem all around. Whenever you have people glorifying an unhealthy, disnhonest, unlawful and dangerous life style... its not going to lead to anything good. Kids say they think 50 cent is a badass because he got shot 8 times and lived, and now he's a superstar. What they are failing to recognize is that he took a direction in life that allowed himself to be put in a position to be shot. Granted, anyone can get shot by anyone at anytime... but this was clearly a gang/drug deal gone wrong. If more leaders in the black community spoke out against this, it would definetely help the problem... but unfortunately when people like bill cosby DO speak out they get labeled as an "elitist" or an "oreo." Now, one COULD bring up the fact that bill cosby came from a ghetto part of town and made it big leading a good life... but that seems to be irrelevant to some people. I don't think martin luther king or the reformed malcom x would take more than ten seconds to chastise rappers for their influence on the black community and public perception overall. Unfortunately, todays leaders are spineless, and think its better to complain as opposed to actually getting anything done. I think rap is an art form gone wrong. It used to be pretty good and talk about socioeconomics, politics, race and inter-race divisions, violence, life in general... THEN the record companies saw a marketing dream boat in gangster rap, glorified the videos to show women and cars and the like. Take an east coast vs west coast war, the two biggest names in the game dying and all the media attention they could never buy... BAM, hit record after hit record. Instead of music they start selling personalities. Snoop was the smoker, Em was the badboy white guy, Dre was the master mind etc etc etc...

The sad part is that an art form that could've been a great form of expression for youth culture has now turned into the exact opposite... a form of exploitation.

ok, i'll get off the soap box now, i apologize to any i offend.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The availability of guns is the problem, not music.

Rap music is popular all over the world, but the rest of the world doesn't have the same crime statistics as the US does. We need tighter gun control laws here, plain and simple.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Acrobat

i agree with tighter gun control, but thats not really the issue... the issue is what the glorification of bad living is doing to youth culture. You can take away all the guns in the world, but violent people will still find a way to hurt you. Ever heard of a knife? or a rock? or fists?

That gun control will lead to less violence is akin to the arguments over breed specific legislation. They ban one dog, and they think the problem is over. Yet... the problem was never with the dog, it was with the people, more specificaly, the owners. Dogs are not born evil, they are made that way. Any dog can be made to kill, regardless of the breed. Any person can cause violence, regardless of the weapon or lack thereof.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932
the issue is what the glorification of bad living is doing to youth culture. You can take away all the guns in the world, but violent people will still find a way to hurt you. Ever heard of a knife? or a rock? or fists?
That is exactly right.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
The availability of guns is the problem, not music.

Rap music is popular all over the world, but the rest of the world doesn't have the same crime statistics as the US does. We need tighter gun control laws here, plain and simple.
Well, they're shooting each other with automatic weapons, which are banned, over drugs, which are also banned.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Well, they're shooting each other with automatic weapons, which are banned, over drugs, which are also banned.
And i can show you music videos and songs glorifying the fact that they have banned weapons and drugs. Its a vicious circle.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The_One1932

And i can show you music videos and songs glorifying the fact that they have banned weapons and drugs. Its a vicious circle.
yeah, I agree. But given that the violence involves to things that are heavily banned already; I'm not sure what tighter gun control laws will do. It's not like you can walk into your local Gander Mountain and buy an M-16 or Uzi anyway.

It's a tough question, youth violence. But it's wrapped around a particularily difficult issue. You can't correct the problem unless you have the required statistics. But it's considered racist to compile them.

I'd say that a large portion of the violence is related to the breakdown on the parental institution among african american kids. Too many are being raised without their fathers or in a lot of cases, their mothers and fathers both. But try finding a statistic to support or deny that theory. And if you can't support something as fact, how are you supposed to fix anything?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

a child learning what's right from wrong is a parent's job. i believe that if a parent does the job correctly, cencorship shouldn't be needed.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:38 AM
unfortunately, not all kids are blessed with caring and considerate parents.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

yeah, I agree. But given that the violence involves to things that are heavily banned already; I'm not sure what tighter gun control laws will do. It's not like you can walk into your local Gander Mountain and buy an M-16 or Uzi anyway.

It's a tough question, youth violence. But it's wrapped around a particularily difficult issue. You can't correct the problem unless you have the required statistics. But it's considered racist to compile them.

I'd say that a large portion of the violence is related to the breakdown on the parental institution among african american kids. Too many are being raised without their fathers or in a lot of cases, their mothers and fathers both. But try finding a statistic to support or deny that theory. And if you can't support something as fact, how are you supposed to fix anything?
This is why i am a proponent of claiming that there is one race, the human race and that we're all a bunch of assholes. This negates any and all racism. Stop looking at race and we have socio-economic issues, which is truly where the problem lies. Does it really surprise people that violence and poverty go hand in hand? But wait, if we go any further into this discussion, then we're racist and not looking at a bigger picture. Look out, thought police alert!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
unfortunately, not all kids are blessed with caring and considerate parents.
which is why the rap community needs to ake a look at themselves and realize they are a pox on a large faction of their fans.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

rap music about violence, sex, drugs, etc. is also an expression of stuff that has existed before rap became popular.

and i wouldn't blame it on the music. i always point the finger back at the parents. the parents can enforce their own restrictions on their children. the home provides a foundation for morals and expectations.

i grew up listening to rap music (among others) and lived on streets some people wouldn't dare walk. im no delinquent. i was told clearly what was right and wrong, and what i wasn't told i found out myself, or i asked.

and be careful with the labels. there is a clear difference between rap and hiphop. roots, wyclef, and kanye are hip hop artists, not rappers. rap does have the commercialized exploitation of bad behavior, hip hop does not. hip hop is more focused on social issues.

id argue that the main contribution to youth delinquency is lack of parental guidance. and this could be due to a variety of factors, including exploitation of low-wage workers, and how many parents spend more time working than they do at home due to elevated costs of living, low wages for painstaking jobs, and lots of hours worked just to make enough money to make ends meet.

< / soapbox>