Is rap music one of the main contributions to youth delinquency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
My friend and I were having a discussion on rap music earlier and he says rap music does not influence youth today to commit acts of violence, etc......

I think he is wrong but not 100%. Rap music and some television shows due influence our youth of today. If you look out how the youth is today they are more prone to violence I believe. They intimidate people and threaten people. If you listen to most of rap music today it's commercialized garbage with no real quality to it. except for The Roots, Wyclef, and Kanye. Listen to other rap music talks about, murder, money, drugs, sex etc.... and if the children of today listen to that over and over it brainwashes them and it show with they way they dress, and how they disrepect and want others to respect them or else.

What are your opinions or am I wrong?

I would tend to agree with you. The problem is when you come out and say things like this, you get berated for it. I believe Bill Cosby spoke out against the ghetto culture at the NAACP a couple years ago and how it needs to change, but then took a lot of heat for what he said.

Bill Cosby was right on the Ball. When a child dies they claim the violence needs to stop, then please be a parent and controll your child until he is 18 and be a better role model.

I think it has more of an affect onafrican american youth culture, but it is a problem all around. Whenever you have people glorifying an unhealthy, disnhonest, unlawful and dangerous life style... its not going to lead to anything good. Kids say they think 50 cent is a badass because he got shot 8 times and lived, and now he's a superstar. What they are failing to recognize is that he took a direction in life that allowed himself to be put in a position to be shot. Granted, anyone can get shot by anyone at anytime... but this was clearly a gang/drug deal gone wrong. If more leaders in the black community spoke out against this, it would definetely help the problem... but unfortunately when people like bill cosby DO speak out they get labeled as an "elitist" or an "oreo." Now, one COULD bring up the fact that bill cosby came from a ghetto part of town and made it big leading a good life... but that seems to be irrelevant to some people. I don't think martin luther king or the reformed malcom x would take more than ten seconds to chastise rappers for their influence on the black community and public perception overall. Unfortunately, todays leaders are spineless, and think its better to complain as opposed to actually getting anything done. I think rap is an art form gone wrong. It used to be pretty good and talk about socioeconomics, politics, race and inter-race divisions, violence, life in general... THEN the record companies saw a marketing dream boat in gangster rap, glorified the videos to show women and cars and the like. Take an east coast vs west coast war, the two biggest names in the game dying and all the media attention they could never buy... BAM, hit record after hit record. Instead of music they start selling personalities. Snoop was the smoker, Em was the badboy white guy, Dre was the master mind etc etc etc...

The sad part is that an art form that could've been a great form of expression for youth culture has now turned into the exact opposite... a form of exploitation.

ok, i'll get off the soap box now, i apologize to any i offend.

The availability of guns is the problem, not music.

Rap music is popular all over the world, but the rest of the world doesn't have the same crime statistics as the US does. We need tighter gun control laws here, plain and simple.

i agree with tighter gun control, but thats not really the issue... the issue is what the glorification of bad living is doing to youth culture. You can take away all the guns in the world, but violent people will still find a way to hurt you. Ever heard of a knife? or a rock? or fists?

That gun control will lead to less violence is akin to the arguments over breed specific legislation. They ban one dog, and they think the problem is over. Yet... the problem was never with the dog, it was with the people, more specificaly, the owners. Dogs are not born evil, they are made that way. Any dog can be made to kill, regardless of the breed. Any person can cause violence, regardless of the weapon or lack thereof.

The_One1932 said:
the issue is what the glorification of bad living is doing to youth culture. You can take away all the guns in the world, but violent people will still find a way to hurt you. Ever heard of a knife? or a rock? or fists?

That is exactly right.

LyricalDrug said:
The availability of guns is the problem, not music.

Rap music is popular all over the world, but the rest of the world doesn't have the same crime statistics as the US does. We need tighter gun control laws here, plain and simple.

Well, they're shooting each other with automatic weapons, which are banned, over drugs, which are also banned.

Snowlock said:

Well, they're shooting each other with automatic weapons, which are banned, over drugs, which are also banned.

And i can show you music videos and songs glorifying the fact that they have banned weapons and drugs. Its a vicious circle.

The_One1932 said:

And i can show you music videos and songs glorifying the fact that they have banned weapons and drugs. Its a vicious circle.

yeah, I agree. But given that the violence involves to things that are heavily banned already; I'm not sure what tighter gun control laws will do. It's not like you can walk into your local Gander Mountain and buy an M-16 or Uzi anyway.

It's a tough question, youth violence. But it's wrapped around a particularily difficult issue. You can't correct the problem unless you have the required statistics. But it's considered racist to compile them.

I'd say that a large portion of the violence is related to the breakdown on the parental institution among african american kids. Too many are being raised without their fathers or in a lot of cases, their mothers and fathers both. But try finding a statistic to support or deny that theory. And if you can't support something as fact, how are you supposed to fix anything?

a child learning what's right from wrong is a parent's job. i believe that if a parent does the job correctly, cencorship shouldn't be needed.

unfortunately, not all kids are blessed with caring and considerate parents.

Snowlock said:

yeah, I agree. But given that the violence involves to things that are heavily banned already; I'm not sure what tighter gun control laws will do. It's not like you can walk into your local Gander Mountain and buy an M-16 or Uzi anyway.

It's a tough question, youth violence. But it's wrapped around a particularily difficult issue. You can't correct the problem unless you have the required statistics. But it's considered racist to compile them.

I'd say that a large portion of the violence is related to the breakdown on the parental institution among african american kids. Too many are being raised without their fathers or in a lot of cases, their mothers and fathers both. But try finding a statistic to support or deny that theory. And if you can't support something as fact, how are you supposed to fix anything?

This is why i am a proponent of claiming that there is one race, the human race and that we're all a bunch of assholes. This negates any and all racism. Stop looking at race and we have socio-economic issues, which is truly where the problem lies. Does it really surprise people that violence and poverty go hand in hand? But wait, if we go any further into this discussion, then we're racist and not looking at a bigger picture. Look out, thought police alert!

U2Man said:
unfortunately, not all kids are blessed with caring and considerate parents.

which is why the rap community needs to ake a look at themselves and realize they are a pox on a large faction of their fans.

rap music about violence, sex, drugs, etc. is also an expression of stuff that has existed before rap became popular.

and i wouldn't blame it on the music. i always point the finger back at the parents. the parents can enforce their own restrictions on their children. the home provides a foundation for morals and expectations.

i grew up listening to rap music (among others) and lived on streets some people wouldn't dare walk. im no delinquent. i was told clearly what was right and wrong, and what i wasn't told i found out myself, or i asked.

and be careful with the labels. there is a clear difference between rap and hiphop. roots, wyclef, and kanye are hip hop artists, not rappers. rap does have the commercialized exploitation of bad behavior, hip hop does not. hip hop is more focused on social issues.

id argue that the main contribution to youth delinquency is lack of parental guidance. and this could be due to a variety of factors, including exploitation of low-wage workers, and how many parents spend more time working than they do at home due to elevated costs of living, low wages for painstaking jobs, and lots of hours worked just to make enough money to make ends meet.

< / soapbox>

redhotswami said:
rap music about violence, sex, drugs, etc. is also an expression of stuff that has existed before rap became popular.

and i wouldn't blame it on the music. i always point the finger back at the parents. the parents can enforce their own restrictions on their children. the home provides a foundation for morals and expectations.

i grew up listening to rap music (among others) and lived on streets some people wouldn't dare walk. im no delinquent. i was told clearly what was right and wrong, and what i wasn't told i found out myself, or i asked.

and be careful with the labels. there is a clear difference between rap and hiphop. roots, wyclef, and kanye are hip hop artists, not rappers. rap does have the commercialized exploitation of bad behavior, hip hop does not. hip hop is more focused on social issues.

id argue that the main contribution to youth delinquency is lack of parental guidance. and this could be due to a variety of factors, including exploitation of low-wage workers, and how many parents spend more time working than they do at home due to elevated costs of living, low wages for painstaking jobs, and lots of hours worked just to make enough money to make ends meet.

< / soapbox>

but like we said, not all children are blessed with caring and considerate parent(s).

Snowlock said:

Wonder where those banned guns came from? Legitamate gun manufacturers...:hmm:

The_One1932 said:

but like we said, not all children are blessed with caring and considerate parent(s).

I know, and it breaks my heart. But again, that's why I think that it has more to do witht he lack of parental guidance than it does rap. Rap music isn't the only thing exploiting excessive unhealthy behaviors, theres loads of movies, tv shows, even some music from other genres, video games, etc. that glorify that type of stuff.

i agree with you, but one point is that rap is real. real people speaking their mind. tv, movies, video games are all fake. actors, scripts, pixels. Biggy and 2 pac getting killed was real, as was all the ensuing popularity for other artists connected to them.

Music has always been a blaming factor. Remember when Elvis was filmed from the waist up?

The fact that this thread was made means we haven't learned shit.

While not specifically stating that rap music contributes to violence, Jason Whitlock, a Kansas City sportswriter, is saying that rap music is a very bad influence on people today:

There’s going to be a new civil-rights movement among black people and the people bojangling for dollars are going to be put in check.

Dude, it’s in the air. Black people are tired of letting idiots define who we are. It’s dangerous. I grew up loving hip hop music. But the [bleep] is way out of hand now. Flavor Flav went from fighting the power with Chuck D to a minstrel show on VH1. You have all of these young rap idiots putting out negative images about black men and black women, and it’s on us to stop it and say enough is a enough. It’s not on white people. And it’s not on old black people like Cosby and Oprah. We have to police our own. W.E.B. Dubois talked about the talented 10 percent leading the black masses. We’re letting the Ignorant 5 lead us straight to hell. The Ignorant 5 are telling white folks, “Yeah, this is how we really is. Let me bojangle for ya, boss. You say step and I’ll show ya I can fetch.” And what’s even more dangerous, the Ignorant 5 are telling black kids, “It’s cool to be locked up. It makes a man out of you. And don’t embrace education. Dealing dope and playing basketball are better career choices.” The Ignorant 5 is the new KKK and twice as deadly. That’s why you don’t hear ‘bout the KKK anymore. The Klan is just sitting back letting 50 Cent and all the other bojanglers do all the heavy lifting.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=1038

We have learned shit. To be way more materialistic and that woman are objects and that you have to waste your enemy. The message of whats wrong with society has changed to Kill thy enemy.

Justin24 said:
We have learned shit. To be way more materialistic and that woman are objects and that you have to waste your enemy. The message of whats wrong with society has changed to Kill thy enemy.

Oh please!!! You sound just like the censors back in the 50's.

LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!

DR BILL COSBY SPEAKS

at the 50th Anniversary commemoration

of the Brown vs Topeka Board of Education

Supreme Court Decision

Transcript kindly provided by

Dr Bill Cosby's public relations representatives.

(*Editor's note: Please understand that there may be some minor typographical inaccuracies resulting from audio to text software resolution issues.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, I really have to ask you to seriously consider what you’ve heard, and now this is the end of the evening so to speak. I heard a prize fight manager say to his fellow who was losing badly, “David, listen to me. It’s not what’s he’s doing to you. It’s what you’re not doing. (laughter).

Ladies and gentlemen, these people set, they opened the doors, they gave us the right, and today, ladies and gentlemen, in our cities and public schools we have fifty percent drop out. In our own neighborhood, we have men in prison. No longer is a person embarrassed because they’re pregnant without a husband. (clapping) No longer is a boy considered an embarrassment if he tries to run away from being the father of the unmarried child (clapping)

Ladies and gentlemen, the lower economic and lower middle economic people are [not*] holding their end in this deal. In the neighborhood that most of us grew up in, parenting is not going on. (clapping) In the old days, you couldn’t hooky school because every drawn shade was an eye (laughing). And before your mother got off the bus and to the house, she knew exactly where you had gone, who had gone into the house, and where you got on whatever you had one and where you got it from. Parents don’t know that today.

I’m talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was two? (clapping) Where were you when he was twelve? (clapping) Where were you when he was eighteen, and how come you don’t know he had a pistol? (clapping) And where is his father, and why don’t you know where he is? And why doesn’t the father show up to talk to this boy?

The church is only open on Sunday. And you can’t keep asking Jesus to ask doing things for you (clapping). You can’t keep asking that God will find a way. God is tired of you (clapping and laughing). God was there when they won all those cases. 50 in a row. That’s where God was because these people were doing something. And God said, “I’m going to find a way.” I wasn’t there when God said it… I’m making this up (laughter). But it sounds like what God would do (laughter).

We cannot blame white people. White people (clapping) .. white people don’t live over there. They close up the shop early. The Korean ones still don’t know us as well…they stay open 24 hours (laughter).

I’m looking and I see a man named Kenneth Clark. He and his wife Mamie…Kenneth’s still alive. I have to apologize to him for these people because Kenneth said it straight. He said you have to strengthen yourselves…and we’ve got to have that black doll. And everybody said it. Julian Bond said it. Dick Gregory said it. All these lawyers said it. And you wouldn’t know that anybody had done a damned thing.

50 percent drop out rate, I’m telling you, and people in jail, and women having children by five, six different men. Under what excuse, I want somebody to love me, and as soon as you have it, you forget to parent. Grandmother, mother, and great grandmother in the same room, raising children, and the child knows nothing about love or respect of any one of the three of them (clapping). All this child knows is “gimme, gimme, gimme.” These people want to buy the friendship of a child….and the child couldn’t care less. Those of us sitting out here who have gone on to some college or whatever we’ve done, we still fear our parents (clapping and laughter). And these people are not parenting. They’re buying things for the kid. $500 sneakers, for what? They won’t buy or spend $250 on Hooked on Phonics. (clapping)

A\Kenneth Clark, somewhere in his home in upstate New York…just looking ahead. Thank God, he doesn’t know what’s going on, thank God. But these people, the ones up here in the balcony fought so hard. Looking at the incarcerated, these are not political criminals. These are people going around stealing Coca Cola. People getting shot in the back of the head over a piece of pound cake! Then we all run out and are outraged, “The cops shouldn’t have shot him” What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand? (laughter and clapping). I wanted a piece of pound cake just as bad as anybody else (laughter) And I looked at it and I had no money. And something called parenting said if get caught with it you’re going to embarrass your mother. Not you’re going to get your butt kicked. No. You’re going to embarrass your mother. You’re going to embarrass your family.

If knock that girl up, you’re going to have to run away because it’s going to be too embarrassing for your family. In the old days, a girl getting pregnant had to go down South, and then her mother would go down to get her. But the mother had the baby. I said the mother had the baby. The girl didn’t have a baby. The mother had the baby in two weeks. (laughter) We are not parenting. Ladies and gentlemen, listen to these people, they are showing you what’s wrong. People putting their clothes on backwards. –isn’t that a sign of something going on wrong? (laughter)

Are you not paying attention, people with their hat on backwards, pants down around the crack. Isn’t that a sign of something, or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up (laughter and clapping ). Isn’t it a sign of something when she’s got her dress all the way up to the crack…and got all kinds of needles and things going through her body. What part of Africa did this come from? (laughter). We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans, they don’t know a damned thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Shaligua, Mohammed and all that crap and all of them are in jail. (When we give these kinds names to our children, we give them the strength and inspiration in the meaning of those names. What’s the point of giving them strong names if there is not parenting and values backing it up).

Brown Versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person’s problem. We’ve got to take the neighborhood back (clapping). We’ve got to go in there. Just forget telling your child to go to the Peace Corps. It’s right around the corner. (laughter) It’s standing on the corner. It can’t speak English. It doesn’t want to speak English. I can’t even talk the way these people talk. “Why you ain’t where you is go, ra,” I don’t know who these people are. And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk (laughter). Then I heard the father talk. This is all in the house. You used to talk a certain way on the corner and you got into the house and switched to English. Everybody knows it’s important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can’t land a plane with “why you ain’t…” You can’t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. There is no Bible that has that kind of language. Where did these people get the idea that they’re moving ahead on this. Well, they know they’re not, they’re just hanging out in the same place, five or six generations sitting in the projects when you’re just supposed to stay there long enough to get a job and move out.

Now look, I’m telling you. It’s not what they’re doing to us. It’s what we’re not doing. 50 percent drop out. Look, we’re raising our own ingrown immigrants. These people are fighting hard to be ignorant. There’s no English being spoken, and they’re walking and they’re angry. Oh God, they’re angry and they have pistols and they shoot and they do stupid things. And after they kill somebody, they don’t have a plan. Just murder somebody. Boom. Over what? A pizza? And then run to the poor cousin’s house. They sit there and the cousin says “what are you doing here?” “I just killed somebody, man.” “What?” “I just killed somebody, I’ve got to stay here.” “No, you don’t.” “Well, give me some money, I’ll go…” “Where are you going?” “North Carolina.” Everybody wanted to go to North Carolina. But the police know where you’re going because your cousin has a record.

Five or six different children, same woman, eight, ten different husbands or whatever, pretty soon you’re going to have to have DNA cards so you can tell who you’re making love to. You don’t who this is. It might be your grandmother. (laughter) I’m telling you, they’re young enough. Hey, you have a baby when you’re twelve. Your baby turns thirteen and has a baby, how old are you? Huh? Grandmother. By the time you’re twelve, you could have sex with your grandmother, you keep those numbers coming. I’m just predicting.

I’m saying Brown Vs. Board of Education. We’ve got to hit the streets, ladies and gentlemen. I’m winding up, now , no more applause. I’m saying, look at the Black Muslims. There are Black Muslims standing on the street corners and they say so forth and so on, and we’rere laughing at them because they have bean pies and all that, but you don’t read “Black Muslim gunned down while chastising drug dealer.” You don’t read that. They don’t shoot down Black Muslims. You understand me. Muslims tell you to get out of the neighborhood. When you want to clear your neighborhood out, first thing you do is go get the Black Muslims, bean pies and all (laughter). And your neighborhood is then clear. The police can’t do it .

I’m telling you Christians, what’s wrong with you? Why can’t you hit the streets? Why can’t you clean it out yourselves? It’s our time now, ladies and gentlemen. It is our time (clapping). And I’ve got good news for you. It’s not about money. It’s about you doing something ordinarily that we do—get in somebody else’s business. It’s time for you to not accept the language that these people are speaking, which will take them nowhere. What the hell good is Brown V. Board of Education if nobody wants it?

What is it with young girls getting after some girl who wants to still remain a virgin. Who are these sick black people and where did they come from and why haven’t they been parented to shut up? To go up to girls and try to get a club where “you are nobody..,” this is a sickness ladies and gentlemen and we are not paying attention to these children. These are children. They don’t know anything. They don’t have anything. They’re homeless people. All they know how to do is beg. And you give it to them, trying to win their friendship. And what are they good for? And then they stand there in an orange suit and you drop to your knees, “(crying sound) He didn’t do anything, he didn’t do anything.” Yes, he did do it. And you need to have an orange suit on too (laughter, clapping).

So, ladies and gentlemen, I want to thank you for the award (big laughter) and giving me an opportunity to speak because, I mean, this is the future, and all of these people who lined up and done..they’ve got to be wondering what the hell happened. Brown V. Board of Education, these people who marched and were hit in the face with rocks and punched in the face to get an education and we got these knuckleheads walking around who don’t want to learn English (clapping) I know that you all know it. I just want to get you as angry that you ought to be. When you walk around the neighborhood and you see this stuff, that stuff’s not funny. These people are not funny anymore. And that ‘s not brother. And that’s not my sister. They’re faking and they’re dragging me way down because the state, the city and all these people have to pick up the tab on them because they don’t want to accept that they have to study to get an education.

We have to begin to build in the neighborhood, have restaurants, have cleaners, have pharmacies, have real estate, have medical buildings instead of trying to rob them all. And so, ladies and gentlemen, please, Dorothy Height, where ever she’s sitting, she didn’t do all that stuff so that she could hear somebody say “I can’t stand algebra, I can’t stand…and “what you is.” It’s horrible.

Basketball players, multimillionaires can’t write a paragraph. Football players, multimillionaires, can’t read. Yes. Multimillionaires. Well, Brown V Board of Education, where are we today? It’s there. They paved the way. What did we do with it. The white man, he’s laughing, got to be laughing. 50 percent drop out, rest of them in prison.

You got to tell me that if there was parenting, help me, if there was parenting, he wouldn’t have picked up the Coca Cola bottle and walked out with it to get shot in the back of the head. He wouldn’t have. Not if he loved his parents. And not if they were parenting! Not if the father would come home. Not if the boy hadn’t dropped the sperm cell inside of the girl and the girl had said, “No, you have to come back here and be the father of this child.” Not ..“I don’t have to.”

Therefore, you have the pile up of these sweet beautiful things born by nature raised by no one. Give them presents. You’re raising pimps. That’s what a pimp is. A pimp will act nasty to you so you have to go out and get them something. And then you bring it back and maybe he or she hugs you. And that’s why pimp is so famous. They’ve got a drink called the “Pimp-something.” You all wonder what that’s about, don’t you? Well, you’re probably going to let Jesus figure it out for you (laughter). Well, I’ve got something to tell you about Jesus. When you go to the church, look at the stained glass things of Jesus. Look at them. Is Jesus smiling? Not in one picture. So, tell your friends. Let’s try to do something. Let’s try to make Jesus smile. Let’s start parenting. Thank you, thank you (clapping, cheers)

So is Cosby wrong? http://www.eightcitiesmap.com/transcript_bc.htm

Are you saying let Rap be what it is instead of being a responsable society?? My younger brother who listens to Rap. Almost joined the Norteno's(Bloods) good thing he didn't he was trying hard to be like those in the rap world and was influenced by the music, he still is, but has no intentions of joining a gang.

Justin24 said:
Are you saying let Rap be what it is instead of being a responsable society?? My younger brother who listens to Rap. Almost joined the Norteno's(Bloods) good thing he didn't he was trying hard to be like those in the rap world and was influenced by the music, he still is, but has no intentions of joining a gang.

When my God Daughter was 12, she and her friend ran away because they wanted to become Rap girls. Minnesota to KC!

Justin24 said:

I think the question you should be asking is why are kids so weak that they are being influenced by pop culture?

Because are Liberal society makes them weak. I know your going to flame me for that but, I think it's true.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think the question you should be asking is why are kids so weak that they are being influenced by pop culture?

So kids are weak because they are influenced by pop culture? Who isn't influenced by pop culture to some extent? You'd have to be living in a bomb shelter not to be influenced to some extent. Afterall, it is called popular culture for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom