Is rap music one of the main contributions to youth delinquency - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

So? How come no one gets mad when the same thing happens in The Sopranos or Goodfellas? It's just art, man. It's pretend, it's not real. Duh....
I agree.
Why should violence in music be held to a different standard than violence in movies and TV?

Old 10-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

So your own article points to other key factors....maybe the rap music is a symptom....and you are ignoring the cause.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG6OHU6RR1.DTL

What do you think the problem is then, if it's not rap?
Well these people are a good example of what's wrong, but they aren't the problem.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Goodfellas and the Sopranos are not marketed to 10 year olds.
There are plenty of other "violent" things that are marketed to 10 year olds other than rap (video games, superhero / action movies, etc.).

Blaming "rap"music as the cause of society's ills went out of style when Dan Quayle stopped being VP.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...9/ai_102658338

The study found that girls who watched the most rap vids per week were more likely to take drugs, get arrested and catch STDs. So what is it about rap videos that makes girls go wild?
Wow, this is some of the worse science I've ever seen.

Did they test this against girls who were in touch with pop culture who didn't listen to rap? Did they test this with kids who watch rap and have good parents? Etc...
Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I seem to remember similar "sky is falling" comments about rock music, heavy metal, etc. in the past. I myself have to wonder which comes first, the music describing this violent hopeless lifestyle or the economic system that keeps people in poverty.

On a related note, does anyone think that murder ballads encourage people to commit murder? Or is it a form of story telling? I ask because I quite like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and they have a whole album dedicated to traditional Murder Ballads.

Quote:
From Wikipedia

Murder ballads are a specific subgenre of the broadsheet ballad, a narrative poem that tells a tale of murder.

Murder ballads typically recount the details of the crime — who the victim is, why the murderer decides to kill him or her, how the victim is lured to the murder site and the act itself — followed by the escape and/or capture of the murderer. Often the ballad ends with the murderer in jail or on their way to the gallows, occasionally with a plea for the listener to learn from the evils committed by the speaker.

Some murder ballads tell the story from the point of view of the murderer, or attempt to portray the murderer in a somewhat sympathetic light, such as Tom Dooley. A recording of this song sold nearly four million copies for The Kingston Trio in 1958. Other murder ballads tell the tale of the crime from the point of view of the victim, such as Lord Randall, in which the narrator takes ill and discoveres that he has been poisoned. Others tell the story with greater distance, such as Lamkin, which records the details of the crime and the punishment of the criminals without any attempt to arouse sympathy for the criminal. Supernatural revenge wrought by the victim upon the murderer sometimes figures in murder ballads such as The Twa Sisters (also known as Binnorie, Child Ballad #10).

Often the details and locales for the murder ballad change over time, reflecting the audience and the performer. For example, Knoxville Girl is essentially the same ballad as The Wexford Girl with the setting transposed from Ireland to Tennessee.

Murder Ballads are often American versions of older Old World ballads with any elements of supernatural retribution removed. For example the English ballad "The Gosport Tragedy" which dates back to the 1750s had both murder and vengeance on the murderer by the ghosts of the murdered woman and her unborn baby, who call up a great storm to prevent his ship sailing before tearing him apart. In contrast, the Kentucky version "Pretty Polly" is a stark murder ballad ending with the murder and burial of the victim in a shallow grave.

Nick Cave's 1996 album Murder Ballads contains both traditional and original music of this form. Other examples of modern CDs featuring murder ballads include Alasdair Roberts' 2005 album "No Earthly Man" and Kristin Hersh's 1998 album "Murder, Misery and Then Goodnight." Another contemporary example of a murder ballad is Billy Roberts' widely covered popular song Hey Joe, the most famous version being the one recorded by Jimi Hendrix in 1967.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #67
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

So Justin are you going to avoid the "liberal society" question?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
[url]What do you think the problem is then, if it's not rap?
I have said in this thread before that
a) parenting or lackthereof is the most influential factor on child behavior
b) our society here in the states has been a violent one since the pilgrimmage from europe...which even further validate's the point made earlier about gun control.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I seem to remember similar "sky is falling" comments about rock music, heavy metal, etc. in the past. I myself have to wonder which comes first, the music describing this violent hopeless lifestyle or the economic system that keeps people in poverty.
I think it is the latter.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have tried to answer ur Liberal Question.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #71
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

No the image is not the same. Hip-hop artists aren't out to have the blingiest chains or the pimpest cars. That is a very dangerous generalization you are making.
Why are you gonna shoot me? (couldn't resist)

BlingIEST and PimpEST. Sounds like you're saying the imagine is similar. I'm saying it's the same. Degrees again?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

I have said in this thread before that
a) parenting or lackthereof is the most influential factor on child behavior
b) our society here in the states has been a violent one since the pilgrimmage from europe...which even further validate's the point made earlier about gun control.
So your saying music of a certain genre has no influnce on people??
Old 10-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #73
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

On a related note, does anyone think that murder ballads encourage people to commit murder? Or is it a form of story telling? I ask because I quite like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and they have a whole album dedicated to traditional Murder Ballads.

I don't think it's quite the same; the heavy metal/rock messages versus Rap. The rock/metal argument wasn't about a thug lifestyle. It didn't glorify felonies

The hopeless lifestyle/economic system is a cop out, I think. For every one person that resorts to a criminal lifestyle because of their station/positon in life, there's probably 10k that don't. It's not like these people don't have a choice. There are jobs out there; even if it's Mcdonalds. They don't have to sell drugs or steal.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

BlingIEST and PimpEST. Sounds like you're saying the imagine is similar. I'm saying it's the same. Degrees again?
no im not saying the image is similar at all. im saying that hip hop artists are conveying a message very different from rappers. i don't see how what i said before at all infers some sort of similarity.

and i don't appreciate the shoot me comment.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #75
Refugee

Quote:

BlingIEST and PimpEST. Sounds like you're saying the image is similar. I'm saying it's the same. Degrees again?