Is rap music one of the main contributions to youth delinquency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyricalDrug said:

So? How come no one gets mad when the same thing happens in The Sopranos or Goodfellas? It's just art, man. It's pretend, it's not real. Duh....

I agree.
Why should violence in music be held to a different standard than violence in movies and TV?

So your own article points to other key factors....maybe the rap music is a symptom....and you are ignoring the cause.

Snowlock said:

Goodfellas and the Sopranos are not marketed to 10 year olds.

There are plenty of other "violent" things that are marketed to 10 year olds other than rap (video games, superhero / action movies, etc.).

Blaming "rap"music as the cause of society's ills went out of style when Dan Quayle stopped being VP.

Justin24 said:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBX/is_6_9/ai_102658338

The study found that girls who watched the most rap vids per week were more likely to take drugs, get arrested and catch STDs. So what is it about rap videos that makes girls go wild?

Wow, this is some of the worse science I've ever seen.

Did they test this against girls who were in touch with pop culture who didn't listen to rap? Did they test this with kids who watch rap and have good parents? Etc...

I seem to remember similar "sky is falling" comments about rock music, heavy metal, etc. in the past. I myself have to wonder which comes first, the music describing this violent hopeless lifestyle or the economic system that keeps people in poverty.

On a related note, does anyone think that murder ballads encourage people to commit murder? Or is it a form of story telling? I ask because I quite like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and they have a whole album dedicated to traditional Murder Ballads.

From Wikipedia

Murder ballads are a specific subgenre of the broadsheet ballad, a narrative poem that tells a tale of murder.

Murder ballads typically recount the details of the crime — who the victim is, why the murderer decides to kill him or her, how the victim is lured to the murder site and the act itself — followed by the escape and/or capture of the murderer. Often the ballad ends with the murderer in jail or on their way to the gallows, occasionally with a plea for the listener to learn from the evils committed by the speaker.

Some murder ballads tell the story from the point of view of the murderer, or attempt to portray the murderer in a somewhat sympathetic light, such as Tom Dooley. A recording of this song sold nearly four million copies for The Kingston Trio in 1958. Other murder ballads tell the tale of the crime from the point of view of the victim, such as Lord Randall, in which the narrator takes ill and discoveres that he has been poisoned. Others tell the story with greater distance, such as Lamkin, which records the details of the crime and the punishment of the criminals without any attempt to arouse sympathy for the criminal. Supernatural revenge wrought by the victim upon the murderer sometimes figures in murder ballads such as The Twa Sisters (also known as Binnorie, Child Ballad #10).

Often the details and locales for the murder ballad change over time, reflecting the audience and the performer. For example, Knoxville Girl is essentially the same ballad as The Wexford Girl with the setting transposed from Ireland to Tennessee.

Murder Ballads are often American versions of older Old World ballads with any elements of supernatural retribution removed. For example the English ballad "The Gosport Tragedy" which dates back to the 1750s had both murder and vengeance on the murderer by the ghosts of the murdered woman and her unborn baby, who call up a great storm to prevent his ship sailing before tearing him apart. In contrast, the Kentucky version "Pretty Polly" is a stark murder ballad ending with the murder and burial of the victim in a shallow grave.

Nick Cave's 1996 album Murder Ballads contains both traditional and original music of this form. Other examples of modern CDs featuring murder ballads include Alasdair Roberts' 2005 album "No Earthly Man" and Kristin Hersh's 1998 album "Murder, Misery and Then Goodnight." Another contemporary example of a murder ballad is Billy Roberts' widely covered popular song Hey Joe, the most famous version being the one recorded by Jimi Hendrix in 1967.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I seem to remember similar "sky is falling" comments about rock music, heavy metal, etc. in the past. I myself have to wonder which comes first, the music describing this violent hopeless lifestyle or the economic system that keeps people in poverty.

:up: I think it is the latter.

redhotswami said:

No the image is not the same. Hip-hop artists aren't out to have the blingiest chains or the pimpest cars. That is a very dangerous generalization you are making.

Why are you gonna shoot me? (couldn't resist)

BlingIEST and PimpEST. Sounds like you're saying the imagine is similar. I'm saying it's the same. Degrees again?

redhotswami said:

I have said in this thread before that
a) parenting or lackthereof is the most influential factor on child behavior
b) our society here in the states has been a violent one since the pilgrimmage from europe...which even further validate's the point made earlier about gun control.

So your saying music of a certain genre has no influnce on people??

sulawesigirl4 said:

On a related note, does anyone think that murder ballads encourage people to commit murder? Or is it a form of story telling? I ask because I quite like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and they have a whole album dedicated to traditional Murder Ballads.

I don't think it's quite the same; the heavy metal/rock messages versus Rap. The rock/metal argument wasn't about a thug lifestyle. It didn't glorify felonies

The hopeless lifestyle/economic system is a cop out, I think. For every one person that resorts to a criminal lifestyle because of their station/positon in life, there's probably 10k that don't. It's not like these people don't have a choice. There are jobs out there; even if it's Mcdonalds. They don't have to sell drugs or steal.

Snowlock said:

Why are you gonna shoot me? (couldn't resist)

BlingIEST and PimpEST. Sounds like you're saying the imagine is similar. I'm saying it's the same. Degrees again?

no im not saying the image is similar at all. im saying that hip hop artists are conveying a message very different from rappers. i don't see how what i said before at all infers some sort of similarity.

and i don't appreciate the shoot me comment.

But it still puts the idea in there heads. Hitler was a masterful speaker and he influenced a whole nation. What makes you think music can't do that??? Especially Violent music.

Justin24 said:

So your saying music of a certain genre has no influnce on people??

No, I would say that people are drawn towards one type of music or another depending on who and what their environment has predestined them to be drawn to.

I was the Biggest Ozzy/Black Sabbath fan in the world. I listened to nothing but. I was an angry young man. I hated the world. I hated my family.

When I got out of that environment, joined the army, put myself through college, got my head on straight, I no longer found myself drawn to the messgae in the music. I changed.

Do I still listen to Ozzy, sure, occasionaly. I enjoy it. But I sit and shake my head at the person I was at the time.

Dreadsox said:

No, I would say that people are drawn towards one type of music or another depending on who and what their environment has predestined them to be drawn to.

I was the Biggest Ozzy/Black Sabbath fan in the world. I listened to nothing but. I was an angry young man. I hated the world. I hated my family.

When I got out of that environment, joined the army, put myself through college, got my head on straight, I no longer found myself drawn to the messgae in the music. I changed.

Do I still listen to Ozzy, sure, occasionaly. I enjoy it. But I sit and shake my head at the person I was at the time.

But you see what you have written is a perfect example. Look what it did to you. Now look at what rap does. Kids who defy authority, hurt people, hurt themselves, use drugs, buy guns, want bling, bang hoes as they put it.

Justin24 said:
But it still puts the idea in there heads. Hitler was a masterful speaker and he influenced a whole nation. What makes you think music can't do that??? Especially Violent music.

So now are you suggesting censorship? Are you more in support of a society that is controlled by the opinion of those in charge? How is that not related to Hitler influence????

I am not asking for censorship, I am asking that the artist be more away of what there music does to the youth.

I see what you mean.

However I don't presume artists to be responsible for my kids, or for my own upbringing. Thats for family to filter, teach, etc.

Granted, I am thrilled when I listen to other music with messages of encouragement and hope. However when I hear a rap song projecting the opposite, I don't blame it for the downfall of our youth.

redhotswami said:

Granted, I am thrilled when I listen to other music with messages of encouragement and hope. However when I hear a rap song projecting the opposite, I don't blame it for the downfall of our youth.

:up:

Justin24 said:

But you see what you have written is a perfect example. Look what it did to you. Now look at what rap does. Kids who defy authority, hurt people, hurt themselves, use drugs, buy guns, want bling, bang hoes as they put it.

Wrong....

The music was a symptom...not a cause. You missed my point. The music did not do that to me.

I was drawn to the message in the music because of what I was going through in my environment.

[Q]Suicide Solution

Wine is fine but whiskeys quicker
Suicide is slow with liquor
Take a bottle and drown your sorrows
Then it floods away tomorrows

Evil thoughts and evil doings
Cold, alone you hang in ruins
Thought that youd escape the reaper
You cant escape the master keeper

cause you feel like youre living a lie
Such a shame whos to blame and youre wondering why
Then you ask from your cask us there life after birth
What you sow can mean hell on this earth

Now you live inside a bottle
The reapers traveling at full throttle
Its catching you but you dont see
The reaper is you and the reaper is me

Breaking laws, knocking doors
But theres no one at home
Made your bed, rest your head
But you lie there and moan
Where to hide, suicide is the only way out
Dont you know what its really about[/Q]

When I hear this music, I am almost transported back to that very angry place I was at. Controlling parents, Divorcing Parents, Abusive Parent....

Yesterday has been and gone
Tomorrow will I find the sun
Or will it rain?
Everybody's having fun
Except me I'm the lonely one
I live in shame

Chorus:
I said Goodbye to romance, Yeah!
Goodbye to friends, I'll tell ya!!
Goodbye to all the past
I guess that we'll meet,
We'll meet in the end

I've been the king, I've been the clown
Now broken wings can't hold me down
I'm free again
The jester with the broken crown
It's won't be me this time around
To love in vain

Chorus:
I said Goodbye to romance, Yeah!
Goodbye to friends, I tell ya!!
Goodbye to all the past
I guess that we'll meet,
We'll meet in the end

Bridge:
And I feel the time is right
Although I know that you just might
Say to me
Whatcha gonna do
Whatcha gonna do

'Cause I have to take this chance
Goodbye to friends and too romance
And to all of you
And to all of you
Come on now!!!!

Solo

Chorus:
I said Goodbye to romance, yeah!
Goodbye to all the past
I guess that we'll meet,
We'll meet in the end

And the weather's looking fine
And I think the sun will shine again
And I feel I've cleared my mind
All the past is left behind again

Chorus:
I said Goodbye to romance, yeah!
Goodbye to all the past
I guess that we'll meet,
We'll meet in the end.

redhotswami said:

no im not saying the image is similar at all. im saying that hip hop artists are conveying a message very different from rappers. i don't see how what i said before at all infers some sort of similarity.

and i don't appreciate the shoot me comment.

The chains, the cars, the girls, the houses, the entourages I'm not sure what you're seeing, but it seems the same to me. Now the message of the songs themselves, I agree they're different; but that's not what I mean by image.

Sorry about the comment, but you said I was straying into dangerous territory; struck me as funny given the context. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom