Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duh. It's called the law of averages. Besides, I was following the election very closely as well and even though I had a gut feeling that Bush was going to take it I never saw anything on any network that week that called it for either of them. All the reports I saw on numerous networks and newspapers said it was "too close to call".

Well there you go. "Too close to call" isn't the same as "everyone thinks Kerry will win." Doesn't really matter now anyway. That election is over and we will find out who wins this one after election day. :shrug:

I knew you'd jump all over the "law of averages" statement without ever even attempting to explain why dozens of newspapers and news networks were saying all week "too close to call".

Anyways, I digress. Isn't this thread supposed to be about Lois Lane...uh, I mean Wonderwoman...uh.... Tina Fey.

I said people thought it would be close but that in general Bush was the favorite. You said "everyone thought Kerry would win in '04." Whose statement is more accurate when you bring the "too close to call" argument in (which is a turn-around on your original position anyway)?

No sir, actually most people thought Kerry was going to win. You're wrong...again.

All the reports I saw on numerous networks and newspapers said it was "too close to call".

Foot in mouth much? You really make it too easy, especially when both those comments are on the same page.

Are you really eager to use your favorite phrase "you're wrong" that you just make up shit?

Bumping up against the limits of female bonding

By Ellen Goodman | September 19, 2008

What finally sent her over the top was the poster. There was Sarah Palin as Rosie the Riveter, flexing her biceps under the motto: "We Can Do It!" The image was the same on the T-shirt my friend had left over from the primaries - but with a crucial difference.

"They've Photoshopped Sarah over Hillary. And women are falling for this!" she bellowed into my voicemail.

This certified member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits is not the only one who has moved into a state of disbelief. If 17 percent of Clinton supporters have moved with enormous fanfare to McCain-Palin, how many more have turned their disappointment into high dudgeon?

There is the divinity school professor Wendy Doniger, who blogged that Palin's "greatest hypocrisy is in her pretense that she is a woman," a biological fact best left to a medical school professor. There is the admirable playwright Eve Ensler, who put aside her distaste for "raging at women" to call the choice of Palin "insidious and cynical" and "antithetical to feminism." There are the readers in my inbox who echoed this sentiment: "Frankly I think the Republicans have found themselves a good ol' boy and she happens to wear a skirt."

Three weeks after the nomination of the Candidate from Nowhere, there is still a flood tide of women choking on the possibility that Hillary Clinton paved the way for Sarah Palin. At the same time, there are snarky charges of "hypocrisy" and sneers at "sisterhood" from the right.

Ah, yes, sisterhood. As this mind-boggling, gender-bending campaign races on, women are indeed bumping up against the warm, fuzzy limits of female bonding. Again.

So for both those who dispute Palin's chromosomes and those who cry hypocrisy, a brief pause. It's time to remember the suffragists who worked their whole lives to win the vote for women, believing that their vote could change the country. And then despaired of those women voting just like their conservative husbands. It's time to recall the civil wars of the second-wave feminists and the mommy wars of today. Solidarity is not forever, it's not even for high school.

During this primary, Democratic women were often divided by generation. Many edgy conversations and strained family dinners took place between older women supporting Clinton and younger women supporting Obama. Mothers thought daughters had abandoned the women's movement. Daughters told mothers they'd been liberated to vote for the person, not the gender.

Now, with enough suddenness to cause whiplash, many of these mothers have taken up the cry of their daughters: "I want a woman in the White House, but not this woman." Republicans are fighting for admission credentials to the sisterhood.

The first Republican woman on the national ticket brings something else new to politics, says Kathleen Dolan, a University of Wisconsin political scientist. Since the majority of women are Democrats, as are the majority of female candidates, women aren't routinely asked to choose between their party and gender, their issues and identity. "For the first time in a national election," Dolan says, "women are being asked to cross party lines to vote their gender."

Much of the dismay for those who saw Clinton push the female limits is seeing a conservative benefiting, so far, from the old stereotype of women politicians as change agents and moderates. In a Newsweek poll, 60 percent of the targeted white women voters believe Palin stopped the Bridge to Nowhere or "don't know." Nearly 50 percent think her opposition to abortion is less extreme than it is or "don't know." Less than a third know she supports teaching creationism alongside evolution.

So how to lower the dudgeon? How to save some heat for the man who chose Palin? When you meet "Hunter Chicks 4 Palin," breathe deeply and, OK, read their lipstick: Women are not a monolith. We are divided by age, race, marital status, class . . . and convictions.

After all, Palin may yet be the fulfillment of an old feminist prophecy that Texan Sissy Farenthold once described with her tongue firmly planted in her cheek. We will have achieved equality the day mediocre women take their place beside mediocre men. Check that one off the to-do list.

No sir, actually most people thought Kerry was going to win. You're wrong...again. A friend of mine who has worked for the Democrats for years was a volunteer for John Kerry in 2004 and even as the election results were coming in on election night he was with hundreds of Kerry supporters and every single one of them thought Kerry was going to win - not by much mind you - but that yes, he was going to win. I'll never forget the tone of his voice over the phone when it was announced that indeed Bush was re-elected. Pure heartbreak.

you're getting confused.

the early polling on election night indicated that Kerry was going to win.

the national polls leading up to the election itself showed Bush with a clear and consistent lead.

To know her, it seems, is not necessarily to love her.

When John McCain picked Sarah Palin as his running mate late last month, the Alaska governor quickly became a media phenomenon. Largely unknown, she existed at first in something of an information vacuum, and due to the shock of her selection--everyone loves a surprise--the press rushed to fill the void with whatever data was easily available. Mostly this consisted of human interest material; Palin had plenty to go around. Mooseburgers. Float planes. Ice Fishing. Beauty pageants. Teen pregnancy. Et cetera. By the end of her first 15 minutes in the spotlight--which included her speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul--Palin existed mostly as an idea: a frontier supermom who'd triumphed over adversity (the Ol' Boys Club, the "liberal media"). Palin spent her first week reading from a teleprompter and avoiding questions from the press--and the public--so as not to sully this positive first impression.

The polls reflected the early success of her strategy. In the three days after Palin joined Team McCain--Aug. 29-31--32 percent of voters told the pollsters at Diageo/Hotline that they had a favorable opinion of her; most (48 percent) didn't know enough to say. (The Diageo/Hotline poll is conducted by Financial Dynamics opinion research; it's the only daily tracking poll to regularly publish approval ratings.) By Sept. 4, however, 43 percent of Diageo/Hotline respondents approved of Palin with only 25 percent disapproving--an 18-point split. Apparently, voters were liking what they were hearing. Four days later, Palin's approval rating had climbed to 47 percent (+17), and by Sept. 13 it had hit 52 percent. The gap at that point between her favorable and unfavorable numbers--22 percent--was larger than either McCain's (+20) or Obama's (+13).

But then a funny thing happened: Palin seems to have lost some of her luster. Since Sept. 13, Palin's unfavorables have climbed from 30 percent to 36 percent. Meanwhile, her favorables have slipped from 52 percent to 48 percent. That's a three-day net swing of -10 points, and it leaves her in the Sept. 15 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll tied for the smallest favorability split (+12)** of any of the Final Four. [UPDATE: The Sept. 17 Diageo/Hotline tracking poll shows Palin at 47 percent favorable and 37 percent unfavorable--an even narrower +10 split.] Over the course of a single weekend, in other words, Palin went from being the most popular White House hopeful to the least.

What happened? *First, it's important to note that Palin's approval rating hasn't tanked. Far from it. And we should hold off on drawing any hard and fast conclusions until more polling comes out.* That said, I suspect that we're starting to see Palin's considerable novelty wear off. In part it's the result of a steady stream of controversial stories: her apparent unfamiliarity with the Bush Doctrine during last Thursday's interview with Charles Gibson; her refusal to cooperate with the Troopergate investigation; her repeated stretching of the truth on everything from earmarks to the "Bridge to Nowhere" to the amount of energy her state produces. That stuff has a way of inspiring disapproval and eroding one's support. (Interestingly, Palin's preparedness numbers--about 50 percent yes, 45 percent no--haven't budged.) But I'd argue that it's the start of an inevitable process. Between now and Nov. 4, voters will stop seeing Palin as a fascinating story and starting taking her measure as an actual candidate for office. Some will approve; some won't. It remains to be seen whether Palin's recent slide will continue, or hurt John McCain in the polls. But it's hard to argue that the journey from intriguing new superstar to earthbound politician--a necessary part of the process--doesn't involve a loss of altitude.

Just ask Barack Obama.

i suppose this downward trend is only due to bad economic news?

I remember when John McCain was determined to be the republican nominee. So many right wingers were besides themselves and one of the most vocal was Ann Coulter. She couldn't stand him. Now with Sarah Palin that gives the right something to cling to because they know McCain can't stand alone. Recently when they have town hall meetings people leave after hearing Palin speak, that tells me they could care less about McCain. Palin even went as far making the slip tuesday evening by saying the Palin McCain administration, McCain has lost total control of his campain if you ask me. The media is just feeding off of this newcomer Palin and its just sickening. On the Fox news channel the program Americas Newsroom has a host named Megan Kelly and a few weeks past she was outraged that people would ask Palin sexist questions that she said they would never ask a man yet on the thursday program her show went as far to interview Sarah Palins hairdresser in Wasilla AK. now thats what I call newsworthy! Where was her sexism rant with that. I feel like calling SNL to give them some material that I've been seeing the media reporting about. God help us all.

Hi sharon :wave:

:slant:

Dispatches from the Culture Wars: Palin the Young Earth Creationist

This is hardly a shock, since most Pentecostals are YECs, but a Wasila resident says that Palin has told him she believes the earth is only a few thousand years old and that humans and dinosaurs lived together:

Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. "She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board," said Munger, a music composer and teacher. "I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, 'Sarah, how can you believe in creationism -- your father's a science teacher.' And she said, 'We don't have to agree on everything.'

"I pushed her on the earth's creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she'd seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them."

Sarah Palin is vacant up there.

Which thankfully people are recognizing anyway.

In a New York Times/CBS News poll conducted this week 77 percent of Republicans said that they had a favorable opinion of Palin. But when asked what specifically they liked about her, their top five reasons were that she was honest, tough, caring, outspoken and fresh-faced. Sounds like a talk-show host, not a vice president. (By the way, her intelligence was in a three-way tie for eighth place, right behind "I just like her.")

Sounds about right!

Sounds like even FOXNews is getting a bit impatient?

Where’s Sarah? - FOX Embeds - FOXNews.com
Sarah Palin is spending her weekend in Orlando and for most of that time she has no schedule. On the campaign trail it is called down time and due to the maddening pace of covering a presidential campaign it is usually a welcome relief for their harried press corps. But, the Alaska governor has a lot of down time–-the campaign usually says she is in meetings or prepping, but no real specifics on what she is exactly doing. Most of this weekend she will be off the trail in Orlando.

The campaign says she will be in meetings with staff and a senior advisor described her weekend this way, “The governor is a hard working candidate for office doing what candidates for national office do–-working hard.”

Palin advisors were also asked about the lack of press access to the Vice-Presidential candidate. Palin has now done two television interviews: with Charlie Gibson and Sean Hannity, but has yet to hold a single press conference since her selection. The advisors said they would “let us know” when Palin will talk to us and said that at some point in the 46 days of the campaign “somebody will get to the front” of the plane.

Asked why Palin has yet to address the media the advisor responded, “She’s focused on taking her message of reform directly to the voters and don’t forget she sat down with almost an hour with Charlie Gibson and almost an hour with Sean Hannity.”

I wonder if she can see Bono from Alaska...

abcnews.com

Palin to Meet World Leaders, Bono

September 22, 2008 9:02 AM

ABC News' Imtiyaz Delawala Reports: Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin will participate in a series of meetings with foreign leaders gathered this week for the U.N. General Assembly in New York, according to the McCain campaign.

Serving as an introduction of Palin to the types of foreign leaders she would regularly interact with as vice president, on Tuesday, Palin will meet Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai and Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, as well as former US Secretary of State Dr. Henry Kissinger. On Wednesday, Palin will meet with Iraq President Jalal Talabani and Pakistan's newly-elected President Asif Ali Zardari.

Palin has not met any foreign heads of state in her capacity as governor of Alaska, and has been criticized for her lack of foreign policy experience. She first received a passport two years ago, before visiting American troops in Kuwait and Germany in 2007.

Palin will be joined by Sen. John McCain for joint meetings on Wednesday with the presidents of Georgia and the Ukraine, as well as with the prime minister of India. The Republican running mates will also meet Wednesday with U2 lead singer Bono, who has been active in international humanitarian issues.

When asked by ABC News' Charlie Gibson whether she had ever met a foreign head of state, Palin responded, "I have not and I think if you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you. But, Charlie, again, we've got to remember what the desire is in this nation at this time. It is for no more politics as usual and somebody's big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they've had opportunities to meet heads of state."

In fact, every vice president over the last 30 years had met with foreign heads of state before being elected.

"It is for no more politics as usual and somebody's big, fat resume maybe that shows decades and decades in that Washington establishment, where, yes, they've had opportunities to meet heads of state."

So I guess she's saying we shouldn't elect John McCain. :hmm:

In fact, every vice president over the last 30 years had met with foreign heads of state before being elected.

Oh, Sarah... at least you're trying. :hug:

How many foreign heads of state did Lincoln meet with before becoming President?

OMG, You're totally right, Sting! The world today (including the political, economic and security landscape) is soooooo much like the world of Lincoln's time! Like how it could take weeks for foreign heads of state to actually make it to America, and then the days of travel it might take for them get to Illinois from the coast.

You showed me! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom