Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is so stupid. This isn't funny anymore. :huh:

YouTube - CBS Sarah Palin interview

having her lack of intelligence, insight, interest, and preparation exposed by Katie Couric and thusly writ large on the teevee was only the second biggest, "well, duh, obviously, everyone knew that" moment of the day today.

the first biggest, "well, duh, obviously, everyone knew that" moment was when Clay Aiken officially came out.

^I don't know. . .I don't think she came across as an idiot. I think she came across as someone saying a whole lot of nothing but then that's standard for most politicians on the campaign trail (Obama and McCain included). No one who is truly moronic would get very far at all in politics.

For me it's less about how much an idiot she is and more about why McCain chose her in the first place and what he's assuming (God-forbid, correctly) about how the electorate will make their voting decisions.

I see a lot of similiarities between Palin and Bush (and what people like about them) and THAT scares me.

After he was in office for four years, W got nearly 51% of the vote and was re-elected to another four years in office.

I don't know that this says anything about Bush's intelligence one way or the other. What it says about the 51% though? :ohmy:

^I don't know. . .I don't think she came across as an idiot. I think she came across as someone saying a whole lot of nothing but then that's standard for most politicians on the campaign trail (Obama and McCain included). No one who is truly moronic would get very far at all in politics.

For me it's less about how much an idiot she is and more about why McCain chose her in the first place and what he's assuming (God-forbid, correctly) about how the electorate will make their voting decisions.

I see a lot of similiarities between Palin and Bush (and what people like about them) and THAT scares me.

i really thought she came across as quite ill prepared and unable to not just think on her feet, but unable to effectively dodge questions and stonewall.

but i think your assessment is correct -- the person who comes off the worst here is McCain.

I don't know that this says anything about Bush's intelligence one way or the other. What it says about the 51% though? :ohmy:

it says that it was 2004, we were in the midst of a war that had yet to turn truly nasty and become a civil war, and that we had government officials amping up "orange" alerts and telling us we'd all be killed if we voted for the Democrats. and a rather uncompelling senator from massachusetts.

and i wish i had written this, but someone referred to her Couric interview as a real "moose in the headlights" moment.

i really thought she came across as quite ill prepared and unable to not just think on her feet, but unable to effectively dodge questions and stonewall.

That's exactly what I was saying. This is a sign of a lack of intelligence more than it is a sign of a lack of information. If you put in somebody who is sharp, say a Bill Clinton and ask him questions that he knows he can't answer, you would still get a better interview because he is quick enough on his feet that he can intelligently deflect or play off the questions. She cannot.

It is a little bit like watching a witness testifying at a trial. It's really easy to spot people like this and I guarantee you that most litigators could probably be very good at ascertaining a person's relative intelligence this way. You take two people equally uninformed and ask them the same questions and I guarantee you that you'll be able to spot the more intelligent one. It is actually very simple.

So I stand by my assertion - she's not bright. I haven't had one moment of doubt about that in all my time of watching her speak (not that it's been extensive, thanks for that McCain).

so it's a virtue to be able to dodge questions and stonewall if you don't have correct answers?

<>

it's what an intelligent moose will do when he's caught in the headlights.

it's the dumb ones that get hit by those Ice Road Trucker trucks.

so it's a virtue to be able to dodge questions and stonewall if you don't have correct answers?

Well it's certainly something, although I wouldn't call it virtue, to be able to read words such as "virtue" into sentences which do not refer to such a notion in any way whatsoever.

Katie Couric: If this doesn’t pass, do you think there’s a risk of another Great Depression?

Sarah Palin: Unfortunately, that is the road that America may find itself on. Not necessarily this, as it’s been proposed, has to pass or we’re gonna find ourselves in another Great Depression. But there has to be action taken, bipartisan effort – Congress not pointing fingers at this point at … one another, but finding the solution to this, taking action and being serious about the reforms on Wall Street that are needed.

but what about reforms that US Americans should make in The Iraq?

So... wrapping up.

Ford... a dolt and clumsy
Reagan... dumb when not napping
Bush, doesn't matter because Quayle... stupide
W... dumb, that is when not cleverly lying
McCain, doesn't matter because Palin... dim and a bad mother

And Republicans only win because:
1) they get the votes of rubes in Kansas and elsewhere who are hypnotized by "codewords" and "slogans."
2) they get the votes of bigots who respond to racist ads like Willie Horton and wedge-issues like Gay Marriage
3) they "swiftboat"
4) and if all else fails, they steal the election -- by chad or by diebold

Have I got it about right my fair-minded and issue-oriented Democratic friends.

So... wrapping up.

Ford... a dolt and clumsy
Reagan... dumb when not napping
Bush, doesn't matter because Quayle... stupide
W... dumb, that is when not cleverly lying
McCain, doesn't matter because Palin... dim and a bad mother

And Republicans only win because:
1) they get the votes of rubes in Kansas and elsewhere who are hypnotized by "codewords" and "slogans."
2) they get the votes of bigots who respond to racist ads like Willie Horton and wedge-issues like Gay Marriage
3) they "swiftboat"
4) and if all else fails, they steal the election -- by chad or by diebold

Have I got it about right my fair-minded and issue-oriented Democratic friends.

What the hell are you talking about? Did anybody say anything about Ford or Bush Sr? We had one guy mention Reagan (and that one guy is a known. . .wild card, shall we say).

And clearly it takes more than the votes of "rubes in Kansas" to win an election.

As to the Willie Horton, wedge-issue, "swiftboating" stuff. If that is not an effective means of winning votes why on earth were they used in the first place? To me it's obvious (and unfortunate) that these methods work.

On the other hand, if you think I have an issue with some of the 51% who voted for Bush in 04 and for some of the people who are going to vote McCain based on nonsense like "Palin's just like me" and "I like that McCains gonna roll up his sleeves and go to work" then you're damn right and bring it on. There are intelligent decent people out there who are making voting decisions based on the most shallow rationales. People aren't THINKING! They're going with their gut and McCain knows it. It's why he's making these kinds of risky campaign moves recently. I just think that kind of unthinking approach to the candidates should be challenged at every opportunity.

In 8 years I have honestly never heard Bush give a thoughtful and intelligent answer to a question. Ever. But he does have some savvy. He knows how to play off questions. She doesn’t even have that skill. She just starts talking. Some of it makes sense, although not necessarily in relation to the question asked, but mostly it’s just scattered rambling. I’m sure nerves play a big part – it is exactly what a lot of really nervous people do to cover, they babble nonsense – but I think it does definitely also show, if not a lack of intelligence, certainly that she is way over her head.

For the record, several times I’ve actually defended Bush in here by saying that I certainly don’t think he’s stupid. Just disinterested. The major difference between a George Bush and a Bill Clinton is not in the (perhaps large) intelligence gap, but in their intellectual interest. Bush might have been smart, just simplistic, and then on top of that just not interesting in testing that. He didn’t to me seem flat out dumb, or slow, just not interested. Even pro-Bush people, books, articles etc suggest that. He would have appointed his people, taken their advice on whatever topic, and never thought about it himself, simply because he didn’t care for it. There’s a difference between that and Clinton who was often critisised for being difficult in the level of involvement he wanted in everything, but also a big difference between being intellectually lazy and plain stoopid.

There’s no questioning Obama’s intelligence, and there’s no doubt that McCain is intelligent, involved and interested. To be honest, I don’t know a thing about Biden (totally off the radar to someone from Australia). But Palin, shit. Sorry, she’s out of her league. I can’t believe any of the smart conservatives in here honestly, privately, think otherwise. These interviews don’t just show a lack of education on national/international-stage issues that she can catch up on, or a lack of media ability that will come with time. She’s just talking crap. I bet she comes out of there not knowing what she just said, assuming she did real well, and then totally surprised by the reaction.

What the hell are you talking about? Did anybody say anything about Ford or Bush Sr?
I've been around long enough to remember.

People aren't THINKING! They're going with their gut and McCain knows it.

Well, you do have great political minds like Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O'Donnell, Sheryl "one square" Crow, Sharon Stone and Matt Damon backing your candidate. Maybe some of us listen to them talk and just figure doing the exact opposite is probably the right solution.

I've been around long enough to remember. .

I know, I know. I shall ever be the newbie here. . . That seven months you have on me. . .the wisdom of the ages was gleaned during that time, I'm sure.

Well, you do have great political minds like Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O'Donnell, Sheryl "one square" Crow, Sharon Stone and Matt Damon backing your candidate. Maybe some of us listen to them talk and just figure doing the exact opposite is probably the right solution.

Tell me this isn't seriously how you make your decisions about your stances. I mean surely not. I don't consider any of these people great political minds or credible sources of information for "my side." I'm amazed that you do.

So I stand by my assertion - she's not bright. I haven't had one moment of doubt about that in all my time of watching her speak (not that it's been extensive, thanks for that McCain).

So why did she have the highest approval rating of any politician in the country prior to being selected as McCain's running mate?

Has anyone in Alaska come out and said she was not very intelligent, people who have actually worked with her, know her, instead of those who think they can make such an incredible assessment from watching a few interviews?

So why did she have the highest approval rating of any politician in the country prior to being selected as McCain's running mate?

Has anyone in Alaska come out and said she was not very intelligent, people who have actually worked with her, know her, instead of those who think they can make such an incredible assessment from watching a few interviews?

the key to Sarah Palin's popularity in Alaska might have something to do with the fact that her administration gave every man, woman, and child in Alaska a $3,269 check. one can do this when one lives in a petro-state.

and, yes, lots and lots of Alaskans find her incompetent.

Mudflats

the key to Sarah Palin's popularity in Alaska might have something to do with the fact that her administration gave every man, woman, and child in Alaska a $3,269 check. one can do this when one lives in a petro-state.

and, yes, lots and lots of Alaskans find her incompetent.

Mudflats

so got the money by going after big oil, and making them pay more taxes

Show me a Democrat or Republican that accomplished that lately

there are always dissenters

Palin has an 80% approval rating

and yes those numbers may have slipped a bit
because many Democrats will have the Nov election on their mind, now

wind fall taxes on Oil (profiteers) Companies?

lee-raymond.jpg

oh for pete's sake.. her approval rating has NOTHING to do with her intelligence or lack there of.. :huh:

Well, I would assume her approval rating is probably based on a wide variety of things. I'm sure it does involve whether people think she is intelligent to some degree. Certainly, its a better indicator than some people who are foaming at the mouth waiting to see if they can find any Gaffe or near Gaffe from a couple of interviews. Alaska may have a lot of oil, but has any politician ever in Alaska had the approval ratings that she has had up there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom