Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3 - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #646
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
That's almost as bad as being vague and unspecific.

and what more do u need from me as far as what I said..

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #647
Refugee

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Granted, yes that was a massive generalization. I'm just talking about the women I know, who although we agree on not liking the politics of Sarah Palin, when I or any other guy mentions her looks they all get pissed off even more. She does look like Lois Lane the sexy librarian Too bad about her politics.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #648
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:21 PM
I think if someone were to say "Well, I agree with Sarah Palin on x, y and z. Oh, and yeah, she's pretty cute, too" - that's a lot different than the doofuses (doofi?) who say "Who cares what her policies are - she's hot!"

Granted, I don't know that anyone actually thinks that, but the cynic in me thinks there probably are.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

from CNN:

Quote:
Palin hits Obama for 'terrorist' connection

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," Palin said at a fund-raising event in Colorado, adding, "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."
Old 10-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #650
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
and what more do u need from me as far as what I said..
Why the ? Just a little joke.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #651
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Thanks for that insight into the feminine psyche.

Every single woman that I've talked to who doesn't like Palin feels that way because she finds it offensive that a woman so unqualified and so dim is supposed to be someone we are excited about. It has nothing to do with her looks whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
No, it's because many women will only support a woman who's competent. An incompetent woman does not represent women -- or anyone -- well and will therefore not get the support of many of us. An incompetent man will also not get the support of many women for the same reason.

↑coming from voices of smart women
Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 AM   #652
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
The more and more you post, the more I realize you don't know what you are talking about, especailly when it comes to women.
Fascinating article on Time.com about this very subject...

Why Some Women Hate Sarah Palin - TIME
By Belinda Luscombe

...Here's why Palin doesn't make the grade:

1. She's too pretty. This is very bad news. At school, pretty girls tend to be liked only by other pretty girls. The rest of us, whose looks hover somewhere around underwhelming, resent them and whisper archly of their "unearned attention." So, if everyone calls your candidate "hot," you're in a whole mess of trouble. If the Pakistani head-of-state more or less hits on her, well, yes, she'll get a sympathy vote, but we're in Dukakis-in-the-tank territory. It's an admiration vaporizer. (Of course a candidate can't be too ugly, or it will scare the men, who are clearly shallow as a gender.)

2. She's too confident. This also bodes ill. Women have self-esteem issues. But they also have other-women's-esteem issues. As almost any woman — from the head of the Budgerigar Breeders association to Queen Elizabeth — can attest, it's almost impossible to get confidence right. Too timid and you're a pushover. Too self-aggrandizing and you're a bad word unless it's about a dog, or Project Runway's Kenley. Or Michelle, my best friend until 9th grade, after she won that debating prize and got cocky.

3. She could embarrass us. History is not on Palin's side. Every time a woman gets a plum job, be she Hewlett-Packard's ex-boss, Carly Fiorina, or CBS's Katie Couric, there's always that whispery fear that people will think she got the job just because she's a woman. So if things don't go well — and a couple of YouTube clips have suggested that they're certainly not going well for Palin — women are the first to turn on her for making it harder for the rest of us to louse up at work...
Old 10-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #653
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Fascinating article on Time.com about this very subject...

Why Some Women Hate Sarah Palin - TIME
By Belinda Luscombe

...Here's why Palin doesn't make the grade:

1. She's too pretty. This is very bad news. At school, pretty girls tend to be liked only by other pretty girls. The rest of us, whose looks hover somewhere around underwhelming, resent them and whisper archly of their "unearned attention." So, if everyone calls your candidate "hot," you're in a whole mess of trouble. If the Pakistani head-of-state more or less hits on her, well, yes, she'll get a sympathy vote, but we're in Dukakis-in-the-tank territory. It's an admiration vaporizer. (Of course a candidate can't be too ugly, or it will scare the men, who are clearly shallow as a gender.)

2. She's too confident. This also bodes ill. Women have self-esteem issues. But they also have other-women's-esteem issues. As almost any woman — from the head of the Budgerigar Breeders association to Queen Elizabeth — can attest, it's almost impossible to get confidence right. Too timid and you're a pushover. Too self-aggrandizing and you're a bad word unless it's about a dog, or Project Runway's Kenley. Or Michelle, my best friend until 9th grade, after she won that debating prize and got cocky.

3. She could embarrass us. History is not on Palin's side. Every time a woman gets a plum job, be she Hewlett-Packard's ex-boss, Carly Fiorina, or CBS's Katie Couric, there's always that whispery fear that people will think she got the job just because she's a woman. So if things don't go well — and a couple of YouTube clips have suggested that they're certainly not going well for Palin — women are the first to turn on her for making it harder for the rest of us to louse up at work...

Of course! Certainly can't be because we simply think she's incompetent.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #654
Refugee

Does anyone think that Obama's good looks get him any extra points?

We all know McCain aint scoring any beauty points (unless you have some fetish for old pale men or are 75) but Barrack is a very good looking man. He has good skin tone a bright smile, is in shape. Does this make some voters gravitate towards him? Ie. I've got a crush on Obama video? We know there aint any McCain/Crush videos.

I think it could be argued Obama's looks have got him places too. We live in a shallow world.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #655
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
Of course! Certainly can't be because we simply think she's incompetent.
exactly...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #656
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:21 PM
You know what, Sarah Palin looks very good for her age, especially having had 5 kids.

That said, at this point in my life I don't want to look like I'm 45, things are still north of the equator for me thank you very much. So no, I don't care one bit what the hell she looks like.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #657
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Things are north of the equator? Hmmmmm
Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #658
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Palin misquotes Albright, makes steam come out of my ears:

Palin Misquotes Albright: "Place In Hell Reserved For Women Who Don't Support Other Women"

Palin took the quote as "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women," but the quote is actually "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women."

Maybe she thought the two words were interchangable, but I sure think not.

There's no real context given in the article, but does anyone get the impression that she's referring to all the Mean Girls who don't want to vote for her? We're going to a special place in hell, ladies!

Governor Palin, I'm going to do what I can to help my fellow American women by not voting for you next month.

Edit: Maybe that was her way of "getting back" at Albright for supporting Obama/Biden. If that was her reason for (mis)quoting Albright's words (off a Starbucks cup, no less) back at her, then my above "maybe" seems pretty on the mark.

Quote:
Without calling the Republican vice presidential nominee by name, Albright was loudly applauded when she said to the nearly all-women audience, "I am not going to vote for plumbing," dismissing the idea that Hillary Clinton's supporters would shift to Sarah Palin simply because they are both women.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/denise..._b_124233.html
Old 10-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #659
Refugee

Thats a wicked quote by Albright.

Plumbing!!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #660
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Palin misquotes Albright, makes steam come out of my ears:

Palin Misquotes Albright: "Place In Hell Reserved For Women Who Don't Support Other Women"

Palin took the quote as "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women," but the quote is actually "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women."

Maybe she thought the two words were interchangable, but I sure think not.
Another shining example of Palin's poor listening comprehension.