Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the best thing that comes to mind about a VP, then either the mind it's coming to ain't too bright, or the VP ain't too great.

Or could it be both???

:hmm:

I suppose you would prefer a VP that says the following?

When we kicked -- along with France, we kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon, I said and Barack said, "Move NATO forces in there. Fill the vacuum, because if you don't know -- if you don't, Hezbollah will control it."

Now what's happened? Hezbollah is a legitimate part of the government in the country immediately to the north of Israel.

Appearing on a friendlier news outlet, Gov. Sarah Palin said she was "annoyed" with the way Katie Couric handled their interview and complained that the CBS Evening News host failed to give her the opportunity to take a proverbial axe to Barack Obama.

In a portion of her sit-down with Fox News correspondent Carl Cameron, Palin claimed that Couric's questions -- which produced a series of staggeringly embarrassing responses -- put her in a lose-lose position.

"The Sarah Palin in those interviews was a little bit annoyed," she said. "It's like, man, no matter what you say, you are going to get clobbered. If you choose to answer a question, you are going to get clobbered on the answer. If you choose to try to pivot and go to another subject that you believe that Americans want to hear about, you get clobbered for that too."

For the record, Couric asked her, among other things, what type of news sources she turns to for information, which Supreme Court decisions she disagreed with, why Alaska's proximity to Russia gave her foreign policy experience, her opinion of the bailout package for Wall Street, and where she thought Vice President Dick Cheney erred. Which one of those questions was designed to trip her up (as opposed to, say, give viewers a better sense of her character and views) is tough to ascertain.

Later in her interview with Cameron, Palin offered a sense of what she thinks would have been a fairer set of questions. Unsurprisingly, they all would have provided her the opportunity to rail against Obama.

"In those Katie Couric interviews, I did feel that there were lot of things that she was missing in terms of an opportunity to ask what a VP candidate stands for, what the values are represented in our ticket. I wanted to talk about Barack Obama increasing taxes, which would lead to killing jobs. I wanted to talk about his proposal to increase government spending by another trillion dollars. Some of his comments that he's made about the war, that I think may, in my world, disqualify someone from consideration as the next commander in chief. Some of the comments that he has made about Afghanistan -- what we are doing there, supposedly just air raiding villages and killing civilians. That's reckless. I want to talk about things like that. So I guess I have to apologize for being a bit annoyed, but that's also an indication of being outside the Washington elite, outside of the media elite also. I just wanted to talk to Americans without the filter and let them know what we stand for."

time.com

Thursday, Oct. 02, 2008
Poll: Palin Less Popular with Women Voters Than with Men
By Massimo Calabresi

As Sarah Palin braces for her vice-presidential debate tonight with Joe Biden, a new TIME poll shows the Alaska Governor is surprisingly unpopular among likely women voters.

Overall, Palin is viewed favorably by 47% of likely voters and unfavorably by 40%. But her numbers are worse among women than men: 45% of all women surveyed have a negative opinion of Palin, compared to 42% who view her positively. Fifty-two percent of men have a favorable opinion, while 35% are in the unfavorable camp.

Those numbers do not compare well with those of her direct competitor in the general election, Joe Biden. Among women, the Democratic candidate for vice president is viewed positively by 51% and negatively by 27%. Biden has an overall favorable to unfavorable split of 50%-31%, while McCain's is 54%-38% and Obama's rests at an enviable is 60%-33%.

Palin's unpopularity with women may prove a drag on the ticket with the very constituency she initially inspired. Obama now leads McCain by 17 points among likely female voters, 55%-38%. Just after the Republican convention, a TIME poll had the two candidates virtually tied among women, 48% for Obama and 47% for McCain.

The poll of 1,133 likely voters was conducted Sept. 26-29 and has a margin of error of +/- 3 percentage points.

Palin has perhaps her best opportunity of the campaign to reverse her slide tonight. A strong showing could convince women that she represents a historic opportunity to break the political glass ceiling. And expectations for her performance couldn't be much lower; after her unsteady performance in interviews with Katie Couric (including an apparent inability to name any Supreme Court cases other than Roe v. Wade that she disagreed with), Palin could go a long way to restoring her credibility with a strong showing in an unstructured format.

Biden and the Democrats, meanwhile, will continue to try and exploit Palin's troubles with voters — especially women. In his own interview with Couric, Biden responded to the same question about disagreements with the Supreme Court by targeting a key issue for women: domestic violence.

Biden, who for years chaired the Senate Judiciary committee, went on at length about his authorship of the Violence Against Women Act and how the Court had ruled against him on a particular provision. Expect to see more of that tonight at the debates.

time.com

Thursday, Oct. 02, 2008
Poll: Palin Less Popular with Women Voters Than with Men
By Massimo Calabresi

As Sarah Palin braces for her vice-presidential debate tonight with Joe Biden, a new TIME poll shows the Alaska Governor is surprisingly unpopular among likely women voters.

Overall, Palin is viewed favorably by 47% of likely voters and unfavorably by 40%. But her numbers are worse among women than men: 45% of all women surveyed have a negative opinion of Palin, compared to 42% who view her positively. Fifty-two percent of men have a favorable opinion, while 35% are in the unfavorable camp.

Those numbers do not compare well with those of her direct competitor in the general election, Joe Biden. Among women, the Democratic candidate for vice president is viewed positively by 51% and negatively by 27%. Biden has an overall favorable to unfavorable split of 50%-31%, while McCain's is 54%-38% and Obama's rests at an enviable is 60%-33%.

Palin's unpopularity with women may prove a drag on the ticket with the very constituency she initially inspired. Obama now leads McCain by 17 points among likely female voters, 55%-38%. Just after the Republican convention, a TIME poll had the two candidates virtually tied among women, 48% for Obama and 47% for McCain.

The poll of 1,133 likely voters was conducted Sept. 26-29 and has a margin of error of +/- 3 percentage points.

Palin has perhaps her best opportunity of the campaign to reverse her slide tonight. A strong showing could convince women that she represents a historic opportunity to break the political glass ceiling. And expectations for her performance couldn't be much lower; after her unsteady performance in interviews with Katie Couric (including an apparent inability to name any Supreme Court cases other than Roe v. Wade that she disagreed with), Palin could go a long way to restoring her credibility with a strong showing in an unstructured format.

Biden and the Democrats, meanwhile, will continue to try and exploit Palin's troubles with voters — especially women. In his own interview with Couric, Biden responded to the same question about disagreements with the Supreme Court by targeting a key issue for women: domestic violence.

Biden, who for years chaired the Senate Judiciary committee, went on at length about his authorship of the Violence Against Women Act and how the Court had ruled against him on a particular provision. Expect to see more of that tonight at the debates.

That's mostly to do with the fact that she's HOT. Women are jealous creatures. At least most of them. I guess there are exceptions.

Here's another Palin prediction: She'll make a surprise appearence on Saturday Night Live!!! I say tonight but let's say before the end of October.

That's mostly to do with the fact that she's HOT. Women are jealous creatures. At least most of them. I guess there are exceptions.

The more and more you post, the more I realize you don't know what you are talking about, especailly when it comes to women.

You were just saying a few weeks ago that Hillary supporters would vote for her just because she's a woman.:huh:

Thanks for that insight into the feminine psyche.

Every single woman that I've talked to who doesn't like Palin feels that way because she finds it offensive that a woman so unqualified and so dim is supposed to be someone we are excited about. It has nothing to do with her looks whatsoever.

Okay, so let's see.

Liberals are jealous of Palin because it ain't a Democrat that has a woman on the ticket.

Women are jealous of Palin because she's hot.

That's why we don't like her. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Women are jealous of Palin because she's hot.

Who says she's hot ???

art.biden.ap.jpg

“There’s a gigantic difference between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” Biden said at an outdoor rally Sunday, getting ready to hit the GOP ticket for their economic policies.

“She’s good-looking,” he quipped.

and what makes you the expert on what women think? IMO I don't think u really do.. You are making a generalization here and grouping all under one umbrella..:huh:

No, it's because many women will only support a woman who's competent. An incompetent woman does not represent women -- or anyone -- well and will therefore not get the support of many of us. An incompetent man will also not get the support of many women for the same reason.

Granted, yes that was a massive generalization. I'm just talking about the women I know, who although we agree on not liking the politics of Sarah Palin, when I or any other guy mentions her looks they all get pissed off even more. She does look like Lois Lane the sexy librarian:drool: Too bad about her politics.

I think if someone were to say "Well, I agree with Sarah Palin on x, y and z. Oh, and yeah, she's pretty cute, too" - that's a lot different than the doofuses (doofi?) who say "Who cares what her policies are - she's hot!"

Granted, I don't know that anyone actually thinks that, but the cynic in me thinks there probably are. :(

from CNN:

Palin hits Obama for 'terrorist' connection

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," Palin said at a fund-raising event in Colorado, adding, "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

Thanks for that insight into the feminine psyche.

Every single woman that I've talked to who doesn't like Palin feels that way because she finds it offensive that a woman so unqualified and so dim is supposed to be someone we are excited about. It has nothing to do with her looks whatsoever.

No, it's because many women will only support a woman who's competent. An incompetent woman does not represent women -- or anyone -- well and will therefore not get the support of many of us. An incompetent man will also not get the support of many women for the same reason.

↑coming from voices of smart women :yes:

The more and more you post, the more I realize you don't know what you are talking about, especailly when it comes to women.

Fascinating article on Time.com about this very subject...

Why Some Women Hate Sarah Palin - TIME
By Belinda Luscombe

...Here's why Palin doesn't make the grade:

1. She's too pretty. This is very bad news. At school, pretty girls tend to be liked only by other pretty girls. The rest of us, whose looks hover somewhere around underwhelming, resent them and whisper archly of their "unearned attention." So, if everyone calls your candidate "hot," you're in a whole mess of trouble. If the Pakistani head-of-state more or less hits on her, well, yes, she'll get a sympathy vote, but we're in Dukakis-in-the-tank territory. It's an admiration vaporizer. (Of course a candidate can't be too ugly, or it will scare the men, who are clearly shallow as a gender.)

2. She's too confident. This also bodes ill. Women have self-esteem issues. But they also have other-women's-esteem issues. As almost any woman — from the head of the Budgerigar Breeders association to Queen Elizabeth — can attest, it's almost impossible to get confidence right. Too timid and you're a pushover. Too self-aggrandizing and you're a bad word unless it's about a dog, or Project Runway's Kenley. Or Michelle, my best friend until 9th grade, after she won that debating prize and got cocky.

3. She could embarrass us. History is not on Palin's side. Every time a woman gets a plum job, be she Hewlett-Packard's ex-boss, Carly Fiorina, or CBS's Katie Couric, there's always that whispery fear that people will think she got the job just because she's a woman. So if things don't go well — and a couple of YouTube clips have suggested that they're certainly not going well for Palin — women are the first to turn on her for making it harder for the rest of us to louse up at work...

Fascinating article on Time.com about this very subject...

Why Some Women Hate Sarah Palin - TIME
By Belinda Luscombe

...Here's why Palin doesn't make the grade:

1. She's too pretty. This is very bad news. At school, pretty girls tend to be liked only by other pretty girls. The rest of us, whose looks hover somewhere around underwhelming, resent them and whisper archly of their "unearned attention." So, if everyone calls your candidate "hot," you're in a whole mess of trouble. If the Pakistani head-of-state more or less hits on her, well, yes, she'll get a sympathy vote, but we're in Dukakis-in-the-tank territory. It's an admiration vaporizer. (Of course a candidate can't be too ugly, or it will scare the men, who are clearly shallow as a gender.)

2. She's too confident. This also bodes ill. Women have self-esteem issues. But they also have other-women's-esteem issues. As almost any woman — from the head of the Budgerigar Breeders association to Queen Elizabeth — can attest, it's almost impossible to get confidence right. Too timid and you're a pushover. Too self-aggrandizing and you're a bad word unless it's about a dog, or Project Runway's Kenley. Or Michelle, my best friend until 9th grade, after she won that debating prize and got cocky.

3. She could embarrass us. History is not on Palin's side. Every time a woman gets a plum job, be she Hewlett-Packard's ex-boss, Carly Fiorina, or CBS's Katie Couric, there's always that whispery fear that people will think she got the job just because she's a woman. So if things don't go well — and a couple of YouTube clips have suggested that they're certainly not going well for Palin — women are the first to turn on her for making it harder for the rest of us to louse up at work...

Of course! Certainly can't be because we simply think she's incompetent. :rolleyes:

Does anyone think that Obama's good looks get him any extra points?

We all know McCain aint scoring any beauty points (unless you have some fetish for old pale men or are 75) but Barrack is a very good looking man. He has good skin tone a bright smile, is in shape. Does this make some voters gravitate towards him? Ie. I've got a crush on Obama video? We know there aint any McCain/Crush videos.

I think it could be argued Obama's looks have got him places too. We live in a shallow world.

You know what, Sarah Palin looks very good for her age, especially having had 5 kids.

That said, at this point in my life I don't want to look like I'm 45, things are still north of the equator for me thank you very much. So no, I don't care one bit what the hell she looks like.

Palin misquotes Albright, makes steam come out of my ears:

Palin Misquotes Albright: "Place In Hell Reserved For Women Who Don't Support Other Women"

Palin took the quote as "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women," but the quote is actually "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women."

Maybe she thought the two words were interchangable, but I sure think not.

There's no real context given in the article, but does anyone get the impression that she's referring to all the Mean Girls who don't want to vote for her? We're going to a special place in hell, ladies! :hyper:

Governor Palin, I'm going to do what I can to help my fellow American women by not voting for you next month.

Edit: Maybe that was her way of "getting back" at Albright for supporting Obama/Biden. If that was her reason for (mis)quoting Albright's words (off a Starbucks cup, no less) back at her, then my above "maybe" seems pretty on the mark.

Without calling the Republican vice presidential nominee by name, Albright was loudly applauded when she said to the nearly all-women audience, "I am not going to vote for plumbing," dismissing the idea that Hillary Clinton's supporters would shift to Sarah Palin simply because they are both women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/denise-dennis/madeleine-albright-we-nee_b_124233.html

Palin misquotes Albright, makes steam come out of my ears:

Palin Misquotes Albright: "Place In Hell Reserved For Women Who Don't Support Other Women"

Palin took the quote as "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't support other women," but the quote is actually "There's a place in Hell reserved for women who don't help other women."

Maybe she thought the two words were interchangable, but I sure think not.

Another shining example of Palin's poor listening comprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom