Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Here it is...

Palin On Positions, Experience Video - CBSNews.com

The last 2 or 3 min made me cringe!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #272
Refugee

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
That wasn't the point, was it? I was responding to the person's post re: why she has/had such strong support, and why that has changed over time.

Context is your friend.

I was making my own point. She has done very well in Alaska, and I don't think the governors before her enjoyed the approval ratings that she has had.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #273
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
That's like saying the score doesn't matter in a baseball game. The passage of time (which is the opposite of simple) is the whole point. Completely different time period with totally different circumstances on pretty much every issue imaginable.
There are historical lessons to be learned and analogies than can be made to today with things that occured, 100, 500, or over a thousand years ago.

So, since you think Lincolns time is not relevant, you should be able to explain what type of experience was needed to be President in 1860 and why the experience needed today is completely different.

Yes, the political environment, issues, culture, technology, is different, but the system of government is not, and I don't think your going to find to much different in the record of experience Presidents and Vice Presidents had before taking office to today. Many of them had served as State Representitives and Senators, or Federal Representitives and Senators, Governors, just as we find today.

Since you think 1860 is to far back in time to look for lessons or analogies to today, whats the year that one can go back to look for such things?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #274
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Since you think 1860 is to far back in time to look for lessons or analogies to today, whats the year that one can go back to look for such things?
Black and White: The World According to Sting

Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #275
Refugee

Quote:
She was responding to the insinuation that Palin's poll numbers are extremely high by stating that they're falling and that there are reasons for them being high outside of her job performance. You apparently ignored this.

Context is lost on you, isn't it?

The only reason her poll numbers are falling now is because of the drag that national presidential campaign will often have on anyones approval rating. I was talking exclusively about her poll numbers prior to her being selected to be McCain's VP. They are high, and I think higher than any other Governor in Alaskan history and higher than most other politicians in the country.

I made my own point that every politician out there has someone that does not like them, so listing a blog of criticism is irrelevant.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
The only reason her poll numbers are falling now is because of the drag that national presidential campaign will often have on anyones approval rating.
So why isn't Biden plummeting?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #277
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Black and White: The World According to Sting

I don't think Sting is the topic of the thread.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Oh damn! That CBS video is no longer available!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #279
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Is the content of the criticism irrelevant as well?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #280
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
So why isn't Biden plummeting?
Because Biden has been on the national scene for nearly 40 years now. Everyone knows him inside and out relative to Palin. The Democrats and their allies have also decided to target Palin. Despite that, Palin still beats Biden in many of these polls.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #281
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This is almost identical to the ridiculous Kaine questions you asked Irvine repeatedly.

My response is identical to Irvine's.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #282
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Because Biden has been on the national scene for nearly 40 years now. Everyone knows him inside and out relative to Palin. The Democrats and their allies have also decided to target Palin. Despite that, Palin still beats Biden in many of these polls.
Is it not fair to say, based on this line of thinking, that Palin's numbers are falling because people are getting to know more about her and don't like what they are finding out?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #283
Refugee

Quote:
This is almost identical to the ridiculous Kaine questions you asked Irvine repeatedly.

My response is identical to Irvine's.
Thats what I thought.

How about answering this question then:

So, since you think Lincolns time is not relevant, you should be able to explain what type of experience was needed to be President in 1860 and why the experience needed today is completely different?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #284
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I made my own point that every politician out there has someone that does not like them, so listing a blog of criticism is irrelevant.
It's irrelevant if your discussion is only about whether or not they have people that don't like them. That's not why she referenced it, though. She referenced it for you to read it and analyze the criticism. And much of the criticism is valid.

God forbid people actually have reasons to criticize Republicans.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Thats what I thought.

How about answering this question then:

So, since you think Lincolns time is not relevant, you should be able to explain what type of experience was needed to be President in 1860 and why the experience needed today is completely different?
I can explain to you why the experience needed today is completely different: because the issues the executive dealt with then are totally different from the issues the executive deals with today. Foreign policy has evolved. Economics have evolved. Culture most definitely has evolved. Technology has evolved. That's why the experience needed today is different from the experience then.

I think experience, however, is best expressed through displaying knowledge and understanding of the issues. Lincoln did that in his time. Palin has not.