Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 3 - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:42 AM
So... wrapping up.

Ford... a dolt and clumsy
Reagan... dumb when not napping
Bush, doesn't matter because Quayle... stupide
W... dumb, that is when not cleverly lying
McCain, doesn't matter because Palin... dim and a bad mother

And Republicans only win because:
1) they get the votes of rubes in Kansas and elsewhere who are hypnotized by "codewords" and "slogans."
2) they get the votes of bigots who respond to racist ads like Willie Horton and wedge-issues like Gay Marriage
3) they "swiftboat"
4) and if all else fails, they steal the election -- by chad or by diebold

Have I got it about right my fair-minded and issue-oriented Democratic friends.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

no, but that's probably how you need to see it in order to get in bed with Palin.

so to speak.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
So... wrapping up.

Ford... a dolt and clumsy
Reagan... dumb when not napping
Bush, doesn't matter because Quayle... stupide
W... dumb, that is when not cleverly lying
McCain, doesn't matter because Palin... dim and a bad mother

And Republicans only win because:
1) they get the votes of rubes in Kansas and elsewhere who are hypnotized by "codewords" and "slogans."
2) they get the votes of bigots who respond to racist ads like Willie Horton and wedge-issues like Gay Marriage
3) they "swiftboat"
4) and if all else fails, they steal the election -- by chad or by diebold

What the hell are you talking about? Did anybody say anything about Ford or Bush Sr? We had one guy mention Reagan (and that one guy is a known. . .wild card, shall we say).

And clearly it takes more than the votes of "rubes in Kansas" to win an election.

As to the Willie Horton, wedge-issue, "swiftboating" stuff. If that is not an effective means of winning votes why on earth were they used in the first place? To me it's obvious (and unfortunate) that these methods work.

On the other hand, if you think I have an issue with some of the 51% who voted for Bush in 04 and for some of the people who are going to vote McCain based on nonsense like "Palin's just like me" and "I like that McCains gonna roll up his sleeves and go to work" then you're damn right and bring it on. There are intelligent decent people out there who are making voting decisions based on the most shallow rationales. People aren't THINKING! They're going with their gut and McCain knows it. It's why he's making these kinds of risky campaign moves recently. I just think that kind of unthinking approach to the candidates should be challenged at every opportunity.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:42 PM
In 8 years I have honestly never heard Bush give a thoughtful and intelligent answer to a question. Ever. But he does have some savvy. He knows how to play off questions. She doesn’t even have that skill. She just starts talking. Some of it makes sense, although not necessarily in relation to the question asked, but mostly it’s just scattered rambling. I’m sure nerves play a big part – it is exactly what a lot of really nervous people do to cover, they babble nonsense – but I think it does definitely also show, if not a lack of intelligence, certainly that she is way over her head.

For the record, several times I’ve actually defended Bush in here by saying that I certainly don’t think he’s stupid. Just disinterested. The major difference between a George Bush and a Bill Clinton is not in the (perhaps large) intelligence gap, but in their intellectual interest. Bush might have been smart, just simplistic, and then on top of that just not interesting in testing that. He didn’t to me seem flat out dumb, or slow, just not interested. Even pro-Bush people, books, articles etc suggest that. He would have appointed his people, taken their advice on whatever topic, and never thought about it himself, simply because he didn’t care for it. There’s a difference between that and Clinton who was often critisised for being difficult in the level of involvement he wanted in everything, but also a big difference between being intellectually lazy and plain stoopid.

There’s no questioning Obama’s intelligence, and there’s no doubt that McCain is intelligent, involved and interested. To be honest, I don’t know a thing about Biden (totally off the radar to someone from Australia). But Palin, shit. Sorry, she’s out of her league. I can’t believe any of the smart conservatives in here honestly, privately, think otherwise. These interviews don’t just show a lack of education on national/international-stage issues that she can catch up on, or a lack of media ability that will come with time. She’s just talking crap. I bet she comes out of there not knowing what she just said, assuming she did real well, and then totally surprised by the reaction.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Did anybody say anything about Ford or Bush Sr?
I've been around long enough to remember.

Quote:
People aren't THINKING! They're going with their gut and McCain knows it.
Well, you do have great political minds like Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O'Donnell, Sheryl "one square" Crow, Sharon Stone and Matt Damon backing your candidate. Maybe some of us listen to them talk and just figure doing the exact opposite is probably the right solution.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I've been around long enough to remember. .
I know, I know. I shall ever be the newbie here. . . That seven months you have on me. . .the wisdom of the ages was gleaned during that time, I'm sure.

Quote:
Well, you do have great political minds like Lindsay Lohan, Rosie O'Donnell, Sheryl "one square" Crow, Sharon Stone and Matt Damon backing your candidate. Maybe some of us listen to them talk and just figure doing the exact opposite is probably the right solution.
Tell me this isn't seriously how you make your decisions about your stances. I mean surely not. I don't consider any of these people great political minds or credible sources of information for "my side." I'm amazed that you do.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #233
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

So I stand by my assertion - she's not bright. I haven't had one moment of doubt about that in all my time of watching her speak (not that it's been extensive, thanks for that McCain).
So why did she have the highest approval rating of any politician in the country prior to being selected as McCain's running mate?

Has anyone in Alaska come out and said she was not very intelligent, people who have actually worked with her, know her, instead of those who think they can make such an incredible assessment from watching a few interviews?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
ronald reagan had press conferences. .
really?

when he ran for vp?

<>
Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
So why did she have the highest approval rating of any politician in the country prior to being selected as McCain's running mate?

oh for pete's sake.. her approval rating has NOTHING to do with her intelligence or lack there of..
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #236
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post

Has anyone in Alaska come out and said she was not very intelligent, people who have actually worked with her, know her, instead of those who think they can make such an incredible assessment from watching a few interviews?

the key to Sarah Palin's popularity in Alaska might have something to do with the fact that her administration gave every man, woman, and child in Alaska a $3,269 check. one can do this when one lives in a petro-state.

and, yes, lots and lots of Alaskans find her incompetent.

Mudflats
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the key to Sarah Palin's popularity in Alaska might have something to do with the fact that her administration gave every man, woman, and child in Alaska a $3,269 check. one can do this when one lives in a petro-state.

and, yes, lots and lots of Alaskans find her incompetent.

Mudflats
so got the money by going after big oil, and making them pay more taxes

Show me a Democrat or Republican that accomplished that lately

there are always dissenters

Palin has an 80% approval rating

and yes those numbers may have slipped a bit
because many Democrats will have the Nov election on their mind, now
Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #238
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
so got the money by going after big oil, and making them pay more taxes

Show me a Democrat or Republican that accomplished that lately

the rest of America doesn't live in a petro state.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
wind fall taxes on Oil (profiteers) Companies?

Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #240
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
oh for pete's sake.. her approval rating has NOTHING to do with her intelligence or lack there of..
Well, I would assume her approval rating is probably based on a wide variety of things. I'm sure it does involve whether people think she is intelligent to some degree. Certainly, its a better indicator than some people who are foaming at the mouth waiting to see if they can find any Gaffe or near Gaffe from a couple of interviews. Alaska may have a lot of oil, but has any politician ever in Alaska had the approval ratings that she has had up there?