Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
another timely article:

In this election, putting gender first
By Lynette Long
September 14, 2008
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin knows what it is like to be a woman, a mother, a daughter, a sister - things the two men on the Democratic ticket can never fully understand. She knows what it is like to grow up invisible in an incredibly sexist society, to be stared at, groped and sexually harassed. She knows what it's like to worry that you are pregnant when you don't want to be or that you are not pregnant when you want to be.

Sarah Palin knows what it is to experience the joys and sorrows of motherhood, to nurse a baby while holding down a job, to leave for work in the morning with a toddler tugging at your pant leg, and to have your children calling you at work to defuse squabbles or ask for help with homework. She knows that once you get to work, you have to speak twice as loud and twice as often to be heard, and work twice a hard to go half as far.

Gender is the most fundamental human characteristic. From the nursery room to the board room, boys and girls are given different messages about their respective roles in the world. This differentiation extends through school, where girls are given less attention, picked less frequently to answer questions and placed less often in advanced science and math classes. Once in the work force, women are steered into lower-paying careers, paid less for the same work and forced to juggle the responsibilities of work and home.

You can't learn what it is to be a woman unless you are one. You can't have a government essentially devoid of women that knows what's best for women.

After the Democratic primaries, I and a small group of Hillary Clinton supporters met with Sen. John McCain. I explained to him that women comprise more than half of the population, yet are underrepresented in every branch of government. I asked him to choose a woman for the vice presidential slot and to increase the number of women in the Cabinet and on the Supreme Court. Mr. McCain listened respectfully to my request.

After the Democratic Primary, I was contacted by a member of Sen. Barack Obama's Finance Committee, and we had numerous contentious conversations. I finally told him I would be happy to vote for Mr. Obama and rally other Hillary Clinton supporters, but in return I wanted Mr. Obama to pledge gender parity in the Cabinet.

"What if there aren't qualified women - you still expect us to appoint half women to the Cabinet?" he replied. "There are 300 million people in this country; you're telling me you can't find 10 qualified women?" I said.

He responded, "You can't have that." We had no further conversations.

Yes, policy is important, but who decides and delivers that policy is even more important. Children incorporate many of their perceptions about gender by age 5. Little girls won't understand if Sarah Palin is pro-life or pro-choice, believes in gun control or is a member of the NRA, but they will know the vice president of the United States is a girl - and that alone will alter their perceptions of themselves.

I have given my loyalty to the Democratic Party for decades. My party, which is comprised primarily of women, has not put a woman on a presidential ticket for 24 years. My party stood silently by as Hillary Clinton was eviscerated by the mainstream media. My party and its candidate gave their tacit approval for the attacks on Mrs. Clinton (and, consequently, women in general).

I can vote for my party and its candidates, which have demonstrated a blatant disrespect for women and a fundamental lack of integrity. Or I can vote for the Republican ticket, which has heard our concerns and put a woman on the ticket, but with which I fundamentally don't agree on most issues.

Right now, for me, gender trumps everything else. If Democratic women wait for the perfect woman to come along, we will never elect a woman. I will vote for McCain-Palin. I urge other women to do the same. I promise to be the first person knocking on her door if Roe v. Wade or any other legislation that goes against the rights of women is threatened. But in Governor Palin, I find a woman of integrity, who not only talks the talk but walks the walk. I can work with that. I will work with that.

Lynette Long is a psychologist in Bethesda

and the author of 20 books. Her e-mail is

drlynettelong@aol.com.

By this line of reasoning, shouldn't every black man in America be voting for Obama regardless of what they think about him or his policies?

And while the Democrats haven't put a woman on the presidential ticket in 24 years, the Republicans never have until now.

Finally, Sarah Palin will be vice-president, not president so beyond the whatever stature comes wtih the title, her actual impact on policy is debatable. Far more impressive to the daughters of this country to see a woman president than a woman playing second fiddle to yet another old white guy. And in the meantime there models of women heads of state all over the world--Angela Merkel comes immediately to mind. Or does it "not count" if they're not the leader of our country.

Lynette Long sounds sincere enough but I don't find her argument compelling at all. (Granted I am a man, but still . . .)

Hillary Clinton knows all those things about being a woman too, and little girls would have known the President was a girl. She was often eviscerated around here. Yet no timely articles were posted about same by diamond (who did much of the..nevermind). Interesting.

But Hillary is a liberal woman, silly. That's means she's clearly a man-hating lesbian, which disqualifies her as being a role model. Sarah Palin, though....she's a hockey mom and shoots a gun. :up:

And Sarah Palin would never stay with a cheating husband for ambitious political purposes like that conniving Hillary did. She'd simply get her gun and shoot his manhood off, and then serve it for breakfast at the local diner in Wasilla. Or send it down the bridge to Nowhere. Or use it as a hockey puck.

Jacob Alperin-Sheriff: New Evidence: Palin Had Direct Role In Charging Rape Victims For Exams

Despite denials by the Palin campaign, new evidence proves that as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Sarah Palin had a direct hand in imposing fees to pay for post-sexual assault medical exams conducted by the city to gather evidence.

Palin's role is now confirmed by Wasilla City budget documents available online.

Under Sarah Palin's administration, Wasilla cut funds that had previously paid for the medical exams and began charging victims or their health insurers the $500 to $1200 fees. Although Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella wrote USA Today earlier this week that the GOP vice presidential nominee "does not believe, nor has she ever believed, that rape victims should have to pay for an evidence-gathering test...To suggest otherwise is a deliberate misrepresentation of her commitment to supporting victims and bringing violent criminals to justice," Palin, as mayor, fired police chief Irl Stambaugh and replaced him with Charlie Fannon, who with Palin's knowledge, slashed the budget for the exams and began charging the city's victims of sexual assault. The city budget documents demonstrate Palin read and signed off on the new budget. A year later, alarmed Alaska lawmakers passed legislation outlawing the practice.

By this line of reasoning, shouldn't every black man in America be voting for Obama regardless of what they think about him or his policies?

And while the Democrats haven't put a woman on the presidential ticket in 24 years, the Republicans never have until now.

Finally, Sarah Palin will be vice-president, not president so beyond the whatever stature comes wtih the title, her actual impact on policy is debatable. Far more impressive to the daughters of this country to see a woman president than a woman playing second fiddle to yet another old white guy. And in the meantime there models of women heads of state all over the world--Angela Merkel comes immediately to mind. Or does it "not count" if they're not the leader of our country.

Lynette Long sounds sincere enough but I don't find her argument compelling at all. (Granted I am a man, but still . . .)

ok, let's not jump the gun here.. :huh: the election is 2 months away yet...

diamond - Who gives a rat's ass if she's a feminist or not? Or female for that matter. She's unqualified to be VP of the U.S.A. End of story.

:angry:

Last edited:
So, as mayor, she attempted to ban a book written by a local reverend that teaches acceptance of homosexuality, she tried to stack the local school board with other creationists, she believes in the end of days, and that humans roamed with dinosaurs.

Palin’s Revelations. Repent! The End is Near. ? Mudflats

Palin’s Revelations. Repent! The End is Near.
15 09 2008

If you’re wondering why I wasn’t compulsively posting yesterday, it’s because I got a wonderful invitation to attend a dinner for some of Alaska’s greatest bloggers, and other members of the community. Also invited were a freelance writer who’s doing a piece for The Nation, and a film crew from the UK, working on the Sarah Palin story. So, off I went on a beautiful drive to the Mat-Su Valley, through the golden fall foliage that has suddenly emerged in the last two weeks while I haven’t been looking.

It was great fun to talk with this fascinating group of individuals over some of the best fresh local foods I’ve had in a long time. For someone who has been glued to the screen, and eating cereal because it’s easy, this was a lovely treat - fresh pesto potato salad, beets & goat cheese, copper river red salmon, and communicating without using a keyboard. What a novelty!

In addition to bloggers and media, were other dinner guests I didn’t expect, a local baptist minister, the Rev. Howard Bess, and his wife Darlene. Bess is responsible for writing one of the books that Sarah Palin wanted banned from the Wasilla Public Library while she was mayor. The title of the book? Pastor, I am Gay. The book is so bold as to suggest that gay people are not sinners, nor are they diseased. Well, they don’t like talk like that in the Valley. After the book was written, Rev. Bess was targeted by conservative churches, his book was rejected or pulled off the shelves by bookstores, his long-running column in the local newspaper was terminated, and mayor Palin tried to get the book yanked from the shelves of the public library.

Palin now denies that she wanted to censor library books, but Bess insists that his book was on a “hit list” targeted by Palin. “I’m as certain of that as I am that I’m sitting here. This is a small town, we all know each other. People in city government have confirmed to me what Sarah was trying to do.”

Bess was able to tell his compelling story to the film crew for use in their upcoming project. They also spoke with local bloggers including yours truly. They wouldn’t let me put a bag over my head, so after some desperate negotiating, we settled for a shot from behind, silhouetted by the backlighting of a window, and voice distortion. It made me laugh. Mudflats’ Deepthroat Moment!

Bess was not the only man in the room who has had firsthand knowledge of how Palin’s evangelical views color her world view and therefore, potentially, her policy-making decisions. Phil Munger, our host and author of the Progressive Alaska blog is also a noted local musician and has had many dealings with Sarah Palin in the past.

[He] says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. “She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board,” said Munger, a music composer and teacher. “I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, ‘Sarah, how can you believe in creationism — your father’s a science teacher.’ And she said, ‘We don’t have to agree on everything.’

“I pushed her on the earth’s creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she’d seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them.”

Munger also asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. “She looked in my eyes and said, ‘Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.’”

As the days go by, more and more brave and principled people are standing up and speaking out. Every time someone does, it involves some measure of courage. Alaska is a small town, and opinions that go against the powers that be are not always welcomed. Everyone in that room last night recognized that suddenly, speaking out about Sarah Palin has become an act of sobering and great importance.

David Talbot of Salon.com was supposed to have attended the dinner last night, but was unable to make it. His article that came out today is mandatory reading, and the source of the quotes above. The article goes on further to discuss Sarah Palin’s personal involvement in heated anti-abortion protests that physically disrupted the practice of a local physician.

The convention euphoria is wearing off and the can of worms is being opened.

Yeah, but maybe they weren't (literally) a heartbeat away from the presidency.
McCain is a 72 year old man with several illnesses, and won't disclose his health records publicly, albeit for a 3 hour period in May without being allowed to copy or use the internet

Last edited:
Yeah, but maybe they weren't (literally) a heartbeat away from the presidency.
McCain is a 72 year old man with several illnesses, and won't disclose his health records publicly, albeit for a 3 hour period in May without being allowed to copy or use the internet

True. This one is weird. And McCain doesn't seem like he's in good health does he??

Can you imagine McCain/Palin winning, something happening to McCain, and her honestly being your President? Can you imagine the reaction to that? All over the world, 4 or 5 times a day, other leaders right now are having a little chuckle to themselves at the thought of that. Talk about a fast track path to absolutely zero respect.

To people in here like Diamond or Sting – to throw a little hypothetical out there, I know it’s a ridiculous suggestion/situation, and I have no idea what ‘rules’ might come into play, but, say McCain were to curl over tomorrow and either die or have to pull out, and somehow Sarah Palin was installed at the top of the ticket, would you vote Palin for President? Honestly?

Since I asked the question the other week and learned that the respective parties would be responsible for moving forward, I don't honestly think Palin would be the nominee if McCain popped his clogs before the election.

Can you imagine McCain/Palin winning, something happening to McCain, and her honestly being your President? Can you imagine the reaction to that? All over the world, 4 or 5 times a day, other leaders right now are having a little chuckle to themselves at the thought of that. Talk about a fast track path to absolutely zero respect.

To people in here like Diamond or Sting – to throw a little hypothetical out there, I know it’s a ridiculous suggestion/situation, and I have no idea what ‘rules’ might come into play, but, say McCain were to curl over tomorrow and either die or have to pull out, and somehow Sarah Palin was installed at the top of the ticket, would you vote Palin for President? Honestly?

There's no point in asking fervent do or die Republicans whether or not they would vote for Sarah Palin if McCain died or dropped out. They would rather vote for a legless beetle before voting for Obama.

And no I didn't call Sarah Palin a legless beetle. :wink:

Too bad the same question can't be asked of the Democrats because Biden actually wanted to be president instead of having the opportunity thrown upon him.

The more I read about Sarah Palin, the more she reminds me of some of the small town mayors I've known through working in the newspaper business. Although the great majority of small-town politicians I've known are lovely people doing a difficult job for very little pay, the job also attracts some power-mad individuals who make things miserable for anyone who dares to disagree with them. And they do it all while masquerading as "just plain folks" who are only looking out for the best interests of the citizens.

Here we go, finally somebody interviewed the former Alaska Public Safety Commissioner (the dude who got fired):

She's not telling the truth when she told ABC neither she nor her husband pressured me to fire Trooper Wooten," said Walt Monegan, the Alaskan official whose dismissal by Sarah Palin is the focus of a state investigation known as "Troopergate". "And she's not telling the truth to the media about her reasons for firing me."

ABC News: Fired Official: Governor Sarah Palin Did Not Tell the Truth to ABC

Lipstick, pigs, beetles, legless things, what else is taboo in this election? :angry:

Edit: It would be awesome if someone answered that with "truth" :lol:

Here we go, finally somebody interviewed the former Alaska Public Safety Commissioner (the dude who got fired):

ABC News: Fired Official: Governor Sarah Palin Did Not Tell the Truth to ABC

Nice. Finally, people are starting to talk to mainstream media.

This is taken from that article:

Monegan said he tried to persuade the first couple to drop the matter. "As a cop for 35 years I'm pretty familiar with issues that come up in divorce cases," and said his argument to both Todd and Sarah was, "if this was so egregious, why didn't you bring it up sooner? Why did you wait until several years later?"

Monegan, who gave sworn testimony behind closed doors for nearly eight hours last week, said he also provided the State's investigator with copies of e-mails he received from the Governor in which she referred in disparaging terms to her former brother-in-law.

"This is not a 'he said she said' situation. Others were contacted by Todd and Sarah as well," according to Monegan, who said he was confident the investigation would find adequate documentation to corroborate his testimony.

By now, everyone has read what the trooper/brother-in-law has allegedly done or threatened to do to Palin's family. I'm not sure if so many of us know that he was also investigated by his department for all of the allegations made against him, and if I can remember correctly, I think he may have been fined for a hunting incident, but everything else was dropped. This isn't so surprising, given that there is a bias within law enforcement, that they need to protect their own. I've seen it - I have extended family in law enforcement, and I used to date one.

However, very recently, I was reading somewhere about the judge's ruling in Palin's sister's custody case (can't remember where, but if I find the link, I'll certainly post it), and the judge apparently warned Palin's sister that the badmouthing she and her family are doing to her former husband is akin to emotional abuse to their children, and that she was to warn the rest of her family to knock it off, or that he would be more than willing to revisit custody arrangements in the future, in a way that would weigh them in favour of her former husband.

Anitram, I'm not sure if you have any experience in family law at all, but does this sound like something a judge would tell a parent in a custody hearing?

ETA: Found it. The source cited is Newsweek.

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/newsweek-sinks-its-teeth-into-troopergate/

Newsweek Sinks its Teeth into Troopergate.
10 09 2008

Count among the few things that have cheered me recently, this excellent article in Newsweek on the Troopergate scandal. Despite the fact that I have been following every aspect of this sordid tale available in the Anchorage media, there were a couple things I didn’t know.

Court documents show that Judge Suddock was disturbed by the alleged attacks by Palin and her family members on Wooten’s behavior and character. “Disparaging will not be tolerated—it is a form of child abuse,” the judge told a settlement hearing in October 2005, according to typed notes of the proceedings. The judge added: “Relatives cannot disparage either. If occurs [sic] the parent needs to set boundaries for their relatives.”

and later in the article:

As the divorce case dragged on, the judge’s concern about family “disparagement” appeared to deepen. In an order signed Jan. 31, 2006, which granted Palin’s sister and Wooten a final divorce decree, Judge Suddock continued to express concern about attacks by Palin’s family on Wooten. The judge even threatened to curb Palin’s sister’s child custody rights if family criticism of Wooten continued.

In monitoring how a joint-custody arrangement worked out, the judge said in his order that he would pay particular attention to problems noted by a “custody investigator,” specifically “the disparagement of the father [Wooten] by the mother [Molly Hackett, Sarah Palin's sister] and her family members.”

“It is the mother’s [Hackett's] responsibility to set boundaries for her relatives and insure [sic] they respect them, and the disparagement by either parent, or their surrogates is emotional child abuse,” Judge Suddock wrote. He added that: “If the court finds it is necessary due to disparagement in the Mat-Su Valley [the area north of Anchorage where Palin and her extended family live], for the children’s best interests, it [the court] will not hesitate to order custody to the father and a move into Anchorage.”

Judges and custody investigators don’t threaten things like that lightly.

It’s fascinating as stories begin to emerge from the national media. Alaskans are gasping a bit. They’re not used to the national attention, and they’re not used to what it sounds like to get an objective opinion. As an Anchorage resident, I can tell you it’s hard to be objective in a town with only 94,000 households. Everyone knows everyone, or knows someone who knows them.

There were a couple things, though, that the story didn’t say. One has to do with the infamous tasering incident in which Trooper Wooten is accused of ‘tasering his 11-year old son’. When you hear about someone tasering an 11-year old, or even ‘allegedly’ tasering an 11-year old, it’s pretty hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. That’s why I was glad that the head of the Public Safety Employees Association, John Cyr, was interviewed two days ago on KUDO radio, and explained the seemingly unforgivable tasering event.

First, the incident happened when the boy asked to see what it felt like, and prove to his friends that he wasn’t a “Mama’s Boy”. Wooten agreed to do it. According to Cyr, Wooten was a taser instructor, and used a training cartridge on the lightest setting and used alligator clips on the boys shirt, rather than the usual skin contacts. The burst was less than one second. Wooten’s wife was in the room at the time, and the entire family knew of the incident. It became an issue ONLY when divorce papers were filed. Wooten acknowledged bad judgment and was disciplined.

Another accusation that gets mentioned frequently is that Wooten was drinking beer in his squad car. This charge was investigated by an independent investigator who found the charge to be “unsustained”. However, Colonel Julia Grimes, who reviewed the investigation, decided to change the finding of the report to “sustained”. She changed the report on her own and gave no reason. When John Cyr, who, in 30 years, had never seen a member of the command staff change the report asked her why she did it. She replied, “Are you willing to call Sarah Palin a liar?” He said, “yes”. She didn’t respond, and the report stayed changed.

It’s interesting to note that Grimes had received a two page typed email from Palin in 2005, calling Wooten a ‘loose canon’ and a ‘ticking timebomb’, discussing his marital infidelity and a host of accusations which have since been investigated. All allegations were settled in 2006 after a thorough investigation. The investigation resulted in a misdemeanor game violation, and improper use of state equipment. No charges or complaints have ever been filed against Wooten by any member of the public, other than the Palin family and friends, according to Cyr.

Read the email Palin sent to Col. Julia Grimes - HERE.

Anitram, I'm not sure if you have any experience in family law at all, but does this sound like something a judge would tell a parent in a custody hearing?

Couple of courses I took in the past, that's it.

But it certainly doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me. Judges are particularly sensitive to badmouthing of one parent, and it is definitely a factor that they would consider (among many others) in determining the best interest of that child.

wow! Sarah Palin is just like me!

A tanning bed in the Governor's Mansion

Sarah Palin brought one unusual accessory to the Alaska Governor's mansion after moving in last year: A tanning bed.

Al Giordano's NarcoNews first reported that Palin had the apparatus installed in the mansion in Juneau, and a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, Roger Wetherell, confirmed the account to Politico.

"She paid for it with her own money," Wetherell said in an email.

It does get awful dark up there in Alaska, but health authorities like the American Cancer Society generally frown on tanning beds as cancer risks.

The McCain-Palin campaign didn't have an immediate comment on the purchase.

as America burned, Palin tanned?

now, let it be said that there is 22 hours of darkness to deal with in Alaska in the winter. you can be sure that if i could afford it, i'd have one of these things if i lived there. not to tan, per se, but to get some semblance of sunlight.

but, really. how kooky must this seem? and they say Barack is "cosmopolitan" or "elitist" or whatever?

why can't we just say that there are a lot of white people who don't want to vote for a black person?

wow! Sarah Palin is just like me!

In this regard Palin reminds me of what people liked about our current president. I don't think it's any way to pick the leader of our country, frankly. My sense is that if she were president she might approach to the job much way the Bush has.

Not only that, Sarah didn't ride on her husband's coattails to get where she's at-the mark of a true feminist.:up:

maycocksean-

you forgot to mention Lady Thacther.
:angry:

<>

I didn't forget. I just didn't mention her. I suppose I should have though.

harry-doyle.jpg

Dynamite drop-in there, Monty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom