Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with FYM being an 80 % Obama fan base

this is a bit of an echo chamber

Harry at least, writes about his concerns

instead of his leanings or bias'

The Secret

may be a popular book (thanks Oprah)

hoping for something, is mostly harmless

unless it is the mainstay of an election strategy

Harry at least, writes about his concerns

instead of his leanings and bias'

That's hilarious given his postings on Hillary Clinton earlier in the year. I guess you've forgotten those.

Charming and empty?

She was a pageant queen.:shrug:

Speaking of charming and empty (but not really), I'm going to say good-night. I'm about to go have a "Sex and The City" DVD marathon with my girlfriends.:love: Please don't let the threads get too long. It's so hard to do all that reading at once.:sad:

From what I've watched, Palin was picked to stir up the conservative base. Done. With an explanation point.

McCain's job is to win back the independent vote he used to own. Not so certain.

how do you feel about an individual who could become president as early as January 21st who will not be taking any questions from the press?

how do you feel about an individual who could become president as early as January 21st who will not be taking any questions from the press?

Who says she won't be addressing the press?

And if she didn't, who can blame her after the way they've treated her so far?

conservative commentor icon is disgusted by the Palin pick (and manages to toss many cheap shots at Obama):

Palin's Problem

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, September 5, 2008; A21

"There are two questions we will never have to ask ourselves, 'Who is this man?' and 'Can we trust this man with the presidency?' "

-- Fred Thompson on John McCain, Sept. 2

This was the most effective line of the entire Republican convention: a ringing affirmation of John McCain's authenticity and a not-so-subtle indictment of Barack Obama's insubstantiality. What's left of this line of argument, however, after John McCain picks Sarah Palin for vice president?

Palin is an admirable and formidable woman. She has energized the Republican base and single-handedly unified the Republican convention behind McCain. She performed spectacularly in her acceptance speech. Nonetheless, the choice of Palin remains deeply problematic.

It's clear that McCain picked her because he had decided that he needed a game-changer. But why? He'd closed the gap in the polls with Obama. True, that had more to do with Obama sagging than McCain gaining. But what's the difference? You win either way.

Obama was sagging because of missteps that reflected the fundamental weakness of his candidacy. Which suggested McCain's strategy: Make this a referendum on Obama, surely the least experienced, least qualified, least prepared presidential nominee in living memory.

Palin fatally undermines this entire line of attack. This is through no fault of her own. It is simply a function of her rookie status. The vice president's only constitutional duty of any significance is to become president at a moment's notice. Palin is not ready. Nor is Obama. But with Palin, the case against Obama evaporates.

So why did McCain do it? He figured it's a Democratic year. The Republican brand is deeply tarnished. The opposition is running on "change" in a change election. So McCain gambled that he could steal the change issue for himself -- a crazy brave, characteristically reckless, inconceivably difficult maneuver -- by picking an authentically independent, tough-minded reformer. With Palin, he doubles down on change.

The problem is the inherent oddity of the incumbent party running on change. Here were Republicans -- the party that controlled the White House for eight years and both houses of Congress for five -- wildly cheering the promise to take on Washington. I don't mean to be impolite, but who's controlled Washington this decade?

Moreover, McCain was giving up his home turf of readiness to challenge Obama on his home turf of change. Can that possibly be pulled off? The calculation was to choose demographics over thematics. Palin's selection negates the theme of readiness. But she does bring important constituencies. She has the unique potential of energizing the base while at the same time appealing to independents.

This is unusual. Normally the wing-nut candidate alienates the center. Palin promises a twofer because of her potential appeal to the swing-state Reagan Democrats that Hillary Clinton carried in the primaries. Not for reasons of gender -- Clinton didn't carry those voters because she was a woman -- but because more culturally conservative working-class whites might find affinity with Palin's small-town, middle/frontier American narrative and values.

The gamble is enormous. In a stroke, McCain gratuitously forfeited his most powerful argument against Obama. And this was even before Palin's inevitable liabilities began to pile up -- inevitable because any previously unvetted neophyte has "issues." The kid. The state trooper investigation. And worst, the paucity of any Palin record or expressed conviction on the major issues of our time.

McCain has one hope. It is suggested by the strength of Palin's performance Wednesday night. In a year of compounding ironies, the McCain candidacy could be saved, and the Palin choice vindicated, by one thing: Palin pulls an Obama.

Obama showed that star power can trump the gravest of biographical liabilities. The sheer elegance, intelligence and power of his public presence have muted the uneasy feeling about his unreadiness. Palin does not reach Obama's mesmeric level. Her appeal is far more earthy, workmanlike and direct. Yet she managed to banish a week's worth of unfriendly media scrutiny and self-inflicted personal liabilities with a single triumphant speech.

Now, Obama had 19 months to make his magic obscure his thinness. Palin has nine weeks. Nevertheless, if she too can neutralize unreadiness with star power, then the demographic advantages she brings McCain -- appeal to the base and to Reagan Democrats -- coupled with her contribution to the reform theme, might just pay off. The question is: Can she do the magic -- unteleprompted extemporaneous magic, from now on -- for the next nine weeks?

This is Getting Ugly. New Palin Rumors Fly. � Mudflats

This is Getting Ugly. New Palin Rumors Fly.
5 09 2008

It’s hopeless. Just when you think you’ll get a few minutes to eat, or work, or have a life, more cars on the train wreck that is the McCain-Palin ticket derail.

The latest story the National Enquirer is working on is that Palin had an affair with Todd’s ex-business partner in an Anchorage Car Wash venture. This was an interesting twist because it was also rumored that Todd Palin had an “Edwards problem”. Maybe he has an Elizabeth Edwards problem. I generally try to resist getting too caught up in the smarminess, unless it becomes impossible. It just did.

Two days ago, Todd’s ex-business partner filed an emergency motion to have his divorce papers sealed. Yesterday the motion was DENIED.

Buckle up. I’ll post updates and links…unless the entire intertube network collapses first.

Regarding this post, I've since read another explanation as to why Todd Palin's business partner, Scott Richter, filed a motion a few days ago, which was denied, to have his divorce papers sealed. While not as damaging to SP personally, this second version is probably more damaging politically.

In short, a former friend and advisor to Governor Palin, John Bitney, was found to be dating the soon to be ex wife of Richter. So what happened to Bitney after this was discovered? He was unceremoniously fired, with no reason given. SP's office reported that he resigned, and left his position amicably. It's assumed that Richter's divorce papers make some mention of Bitney, thus the sudden motion to seal them.

Public Access - Docket List

Full story about the Palin/Richter/Bitney debacle:
Shadow Governor? | AndrewHalcro.com

So, while SP probably didn't have an affair with this man (there still are questions about another man, a hockey coach :huh: ), this story does show that both Palins used her position to exact personal revenge on people who had wronged them.

These people are living in a friggin' soap opera world. :crazy:

And if she didn't, who can blame her after the way they've treated her so far?

well she is on record as saying that female candidates should not runaway/complain, but instead confront sexism and the media by trying even harder to prove themselves. fielding a few questions certainly falls within that framework, i think.

well she is on record as saying that female candidates should not runaway/complain, but instead confront sexism and the media by trying even harder to prove themselves. fielding a few questions certainly falls within that framework, i think.

We'll see. I'd like to see her make the rounds on some shows, except I know that every other question will either be about Bristol and some irrelevant nonsense, or it will be "Who's the president of Botswana?"

At least give the woman a week. Her son leaves for Iraq on Thursday. At least be decent and let her spend as much time with her son as she wants. After the week is over, then you can say what you want about her public appearances.

We'll see. I'd like to see her make the rounds on some shows, except I know that every other question will either be about Bristol and some irrelevant nonsense, or it will be "Who's the president of Botswana?"

i honestly think it will be more along the lines of Iraq, Iran, Russia, Georgia, Israel, Palestine, etc.

she has no record, at all, of speaking on these issues. she said that she heard about the Surge on "the news."

i assume she's studying right now.

terrifying.

I heard that luxury jet she referenced in her speech (and which was repeated again) was indeed put on ebay, but apparently it didn't sell. It did sell to an Alaskan businessman. I believe I heard the original price was 2.7 million, and sold for about 2.1.

\random

I heard that luxury jet she referenced in her speech (and which was repeated again) was indeed put on ebay, but apparently it didn't sell. It did sell to an Alaskan businessman. I believe I heard the original price was 2.7 million, and sold for about 2.1.

\random

See, and why lie about something as inconsequential as that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom