Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2 - Page 51 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #751
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
another timely article:

In this election, putting gender first
By Lynette Long
September 14, 2008
Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin knows what it is like to be a woman, a mother, a daughter, a sister - things the two men on the Democratic ticket can never fully understand. She knows what it is like to grow up invisible in an incredibly sexist society, to be stared at, groped and sexually harassed. She knows what it's like to worry that you are pregnant when you don't want to be or that you are not pregnant when you want to be.

Sarah Palin knows what it is to experience the joys and sorrows of motherhood, to nurse a baby while holding down a job, to leave for work in the morning with a toddler tugging at your pant leg, and to have your children calling you at work to defuse squabbles or ask for help with homework. She knows that once you get to work, you have to speak twice as loud and twice as often to be heard, and work twice a hard to go half as far.

Gender is the most fundamental human characteristic. From the nursery room to the board room, boys and girls are given different messages about their respective roles in the world. This differentiation extends through school, where girls are given less attention, picked less frequently to answer questions and placed less often in advanced science and math classes. Once in the work force, women are steered into lower-paying careers, paid less for the same work and forced to juggle the responsibilities of work and home.

You can't learn what it is to be a woman unless you are one. You can't have a government essentially devoid of women that knows what's best for women.

After the Democratic primaries, I and a small group of Hillary Clinton supporters met with Sen. John McCain. I explained to him that women comprise more than half of the population, yet are underrepresented in every branch of government. I asked him to choose a woman for the vice presidential slot and to increase the number of women in the Cabinet and on the Supreme Court. Mr. McCain listened respectfully to my request.

After the Democratic Primary, I was contacted by a member of Sen. Barack Obama's Finance Committee, and we had numerous contentious conversations. I finally told him I would be happy to vote for Mr. Obama and rally other Hillary Clinton supporters, but in return I wanted Mr. Obama to pledge gender parity in the Cabinet.

"What if there aren't qualified women - you still expect us to appoint half women to the Cabinet?" he replied. "There are 300 million people in this country; you're telling me you can't find 10 qualified women?" I said.

He responded, "You can't have that." We had no further conversations.

Yes, policy is important, but who decides and delivers that policy is even more important. Children incorporate many of their perceptions about gender by age 5. Little girls won't understand if Sarah Palin is pro-life or pro-choice, believes in gun control or is a member of the NRA, but they will know the vice president of the United States is a girl - and that alone will alter their perceptions of themselves.

I have given my loyalty to the Democratic Party for decades. My party, which is comprised primarily of women, has not put a woman on a presidential ticket for 24 years. My party stood silently by as Hillary Clinton was eviscerated by the mainstream media. My party and its candidate gave their tacit approval for the attacks on Mrs. Clinton (and, consequently, women in general).

I can vote for my party and its candidates, which have demonstrated a blatant disrespect for women and a fundamental lack of integrity. Or I can vote for the Republican ticket, which has heard our concerns and put a woman on the ticket, but with which I fundamentally don't agree on most issues.

Right now, for me, gender trumps everything else. If Democratic women wait for the perfect woman to come along, we will never elect a woman. I will vote for McCain-Palin. I urge other women to do the same. I promise to be the first person knocking on her door if Roe v. Wade or any other legislation that goes against the rights of women is threatened. But in Governor Palin, I find a woman of integrity, who not only talks the talk but walks the walk. I can work with that. I will work with that.

Lynette Long is a psychologist in Bethesda

and the author of 20 books. Her e-mail is

drlynettelong@aol.com.
By this line of reasoning, shouldn't every black man in America be voting for Obama regardless of what they think about him or his policies?

And while the Democrats haven't put a woman on the presidential ticket in 24 years, the Republicans never have until now.

Finally, Sarah Palin will be vice-president, not president so beyond the whatever stature comes wtih the title, her actual impact on policy is debatable. Far more impressive to the daughters of this country to see a woman president than a woman playing second fiddle to yet another old white guy. And in the meantime there models of women heads of state all over the world--Angela Merkel comes immediately to mind. Or does it "not count" if they're not the leader of our country.

Lynette Long sounds sincere enough but I don't find her argument compelling at all. (Granted I am a man, but still . . .)

Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #752
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Hillary Clinton knows all those things about being a woman too, and little girls would have known the President was a girl. She was often eviscerated around here. Yet no timely articles were posted about same by diamond (who did much of the..nevermind). Interesting.
But Hillary is a liberal woman, silly. That's means she's clearly a man-hating lesbian, which disqualifies her as being a role model. Sarah Palin, though....she's a hockey mom and shoots a gun.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #753
Blue Crack Addict

And Sarah Palin would never stay with a cheating husband for ambitious political purposes like that conniving Hillary did. She'd simply get her gun and shoot his manhood off, and then serve it for breakfast at the local diner in Wasilla. Or send it down the bridge to Nowhere. Or use it as a hockey puck.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Jacob Alperin-Sheriff: New Evidence: Palin Had Direct Role In Charging Rape Victims For Exams

Despite denials by the Palin campaign, new evidence proves that as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, Sarah Palin had a direct hand in imposing fees to pay for post-sexual assault medical exams conducted by the city to gather evidence.

Palin's role is now confirmed by Wasilla City budget documents available online.

Under Sarah Palin's administration, Wasilla cut funds that had previously paid for the medical exams and began charging victims or their health insurers the $500 to $1200 fees. Although Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella wrote USA Today earlier this week that the GOP vice presidential nominee "does not believe, nor has she ever believed, that rape victims should have to pay for an evidence-gathering test...To suggest otherwise is a deliberate misrepresentation of her commitment to supporting victims and bringing violent criminals to justice," Palin, as mayor, fired police chief Irl Stambaugh and replaced him with Charlie Fannon, who with Palin's knowledge, slashed the budget for the exams and began charging the city's victims of sexual assault. The city budget documents demonstrate Palin read and signed off on the new budget. A year later, alarmed Alaska lawmakers passed legislation outlawing the practice.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #755
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
By this line of reasoning, shouldn't every black man in America be voting for Obama regardless of what they think about him or his policies?

And while the Democrats haven't put a woman on the presidential ticket in 24 years, the Republicans never have until now.

Finally, Sarah Palin will be vice-president, not president so beyond the whatever stature comes wtih the title, her actual impact on policy is debatable. Far more impressive to the daughters of this country to see a woman president than a woman playing second fiddle to yet another old white guy. And in the meantime there models of women heads of state all over the world--Angela Merkel comes immediately to mind. Or does it "not count" if they're not the leader of our country.

Lynette Long sounds sincere enough but I don't find her argument compelling at all. (Granted I am a man, but still . . .)

ok, let's not jump the gun here.. the election is 2 months away yet...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #756
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
And Sarah Palin would never stay with a cheating husband for ambitious .

Not only that, Sarah didn't ride on her husband's coattails to get where she's at-the mark of a true feminist.

maycocksean-

you forgot to mention Lady Thacther.

<>
Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #757
Blue Crack Distributor

diamond - Who gives a rat's ass if she's a feminist or not? Or female for that matter. She's unqualified to be VP of the U.S.A. End of story.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #758
ONE
love, blood, life

i disagree.

<>
Old 09-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #759
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
diamond - Who gives a rat's ass if she's a feminist or not? Or female for that matter. She's unqualified to be VP of the U.S.A. End of story.

amen to that! she most definitely IS NOT qualified to be VP.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #760
Blue Crack Distributor

So, as mayor, she attempted to ban a book written by a local reverend that teaches acceptance of homosexuality, she tried to stack the local school board with other creationists, she believes in the end of days, and that humans roamed with dinosaurs.

Palin’s Revelations. Repent! The End is Near. Mudflats

Palin’s Revelations. Repent! The End is Near.
15 09 2008

If you’re wondering why I wasn’t compulsively posting yesterday, it’s because I got a wonderful invitation to attend a dinner for some of Alaska’s greatest bloggers, and other members of the community. Also invited were a freelance writer who’s doing a piece for The Nation, and a film crew from the UK, working on the Sarah Palin story. So, off I went on a beautiful drive to the Mat-Su Valley, through the golden fall foliage that has suddenly emerged in the last two weeks while I haven’t been looking.

It was great fun to talk with this fascinating group of individuals over some of the best fresh local foods I’ve had in a long time. For someone who has been glued to the screen, and eating cereal because it’s easy, this was a lovely treat - fresh pesto potato salad, beets & goat cheese, copper river red salmon, and communicating without using a keyboard. What a novelty!

In addition to bloggers and media, were other dinner guests I didn’t expect, a local baptist minister, the Rev. Howard Bess, and his wife Darlene. Bess is responsible for writing one of the books that Sarah Palin wanted banned from the Wasilla Public Library while she was mayor. The title of the book? Pastor, I am Gay. The book is so bold as to suggest that gay people are not sinners, nor are they diseased. Well, they don’t like talk like that in the Valley. After the book was written, Rev. Bess was targeted by conservative churches, his book was rejected or pulled off the shelves by bookstores, his long-running column in the local newspaper was terminated, and mayor Palin tried to get the book yanked from the shelves of the public library.

Palin now denies that she wanted to censor library books, but Bess insists that his book was on a “hit list” targeted by Palin. “I’m as certain of that as I am that I’m sitting here. This is a small town, we all know each other. People in city government have confirmed to me what Sarah was trying to do.”

Bess was able to tell his compelling story to the film crew for use in their upcoming project. They also spoke with local bloggers including yours truly. They wouldn’t let me put a bag over my head, so after some desperate negotiating, we settled for a shot from behind, silhouetted by the backlighting of a window, and voice distortion. It made me laugh. Mudflats’ Deepthroat Moment!

Bess was not the only man in the room who has had firsthand knowledge of how Palin’s evangelical views color her world view and therefore, potentially, her policy-making decisions. Phil Munger, our host and author of the Progressive Alaska blog is also a noted local musician and has had many dealings with Sarah Palin in the past.

[He] says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. “She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board,” said Munger, a music composer and teacher. “I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, ‘Sarah, how can you believe in creationism — your father’s a science teacher.’ And she said, ‘We don’t have to agree on everything.’

“I pushed her on the earth’s creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she’d seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them.”

Munger also asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. “She looked in my eyes and said, ‘Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.’”

As the days go by, more and more brave and principled people are standing up and speaking out. Every time someone does, it involves some measure of courage. Alaska is a small town, and opinions that go against the powers that be are not always welcomed. Everyone in that room last night recognized that suddenly, speaking out about Sarah Palin has become an act of sobering and great importance.

David Talbot of Salon.com was supposed to have attended the dinner last night, but was unable to make it. His article that came out today is mandatory reading, and the source of the quotes above. The article goes on further to discuss Sarah Palin’s personal involvement in heated anti-abortion protests that physically disrupted the practice of a local physician.

The convention euphoria is wearing off and the can of worms is being opened.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #761
Refugee

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Fanatic4ever View Post
amen to that! she most definitely IS NOT qualified to be VP.
And neither were most of the bums you guys have had as Vice-Presidents in my lifetime.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #762
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, but maybe they weren't (literally) a heartbeat away from the presidency.
McCain is a 72 year old man with several illnesses, and won't disclose his health records publicly, albeit for a 3 hour period in May without being allowed to copy or use the internet
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #763
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Yeah, but maybe they weren't (literally) a heartbeat away from the presidency.
McCain is a 72 year old man with several illnesses, and won't disclose his health records publicly, albeit for a 3 hour period in May without being allowed to copy or use the internet
True. This one is weird. And McCain doesn't seem like he's in good health does he??
Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #764
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Lynette Long sounds sincere enough but I don't find her argument compelling at all.
It's the "I don't agree with a thing she stands for, but she does have a vagina" argument. Perfectly rational.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM   #765
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Can you imagine McCain/Palin winning, something happening to McCain, and her honestly being your President? Can you imagine the reaction to that? All over the world, 4 or 5 times a day, other leaders right now are having a little chuckle to themselves at the thought of that. Talk about a fast track path to absolutely zero respect.

To people in here like Diamond or Sting – to throw a little hypothetical out there, I know it’s a ridiculous suggestion/situation, and I have no idea what ‘rules’ might come into play, but, say McCain were to curl over tomorrow and either die or have to pull out, and somehow Sarah Palin was installed at the top of the ticket, would you vote Palin for President? Honestly?