Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I'm sure he is. But then, he's white, so, does it even matter?

Re: the happy father to be, his my space pages was suddenly taken down a couple of days ago, but not before many took screen shots. He's a self-proclaimed "fuckin redneck."

Poor kid. I'm sure he's so not ready to be thrust upon the national stage, trotted out by the campaign.
The kid came. That's it. He came. The decision to keep the baby...maybe it was the daughter's, maybe it was the family's, maybe it was both, but I can't conceive that he had any significant part in that decision. And because of it, they want to parade him around as part of the pro-life part of this narrative that's been constructed for Palin. Kid probably doesn't have an opinion one way or another on the issue. I'd put money down that his reaction when told he was going to be a father was probably something like, "oh...shit...so...I mean...what...how..."

So absurd.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm sure he is. But then, he's white, so, does it even matter?

the right wing media was ready with the Michelle-Obama-as-Black-Panther comparisons,

so why not the Todd-Palin-as-Timothy-McVeigh?

maybe there's a white equivalent of a terrorist fist bump?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the right wing media was ready with the Michelle-Obama-as-Black-Panther comparisons,

so why not the Todd-Palin-as-Timothy-McVeigh?

maybe there's a white equivalent of a terrorist fist bump?
Because he's white, and that's not fair.

namkcuR, the kid's My Space also said "Does not want kids." But in all fairness, what 18 year old boy does? I sincerely do feel bad for this kid.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quote:
Because he's white, and that's not fair.

namkcuR, the kid's My Space also said "Does not want kids." But in all fairness, what 18 year old boy does? I sincerely do feel bad for this kid.

I feel for him too. I wonder, do these kids really want to get married? What an awful position to be put in.

Why would he agree to appear at the RNC?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

If even 1/10 of what that article VP posted has truth to it, Palin loses her "breath of fresh air" credentials pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post
I feel for him too. I wonder, do these kids really want to get married? What an awful position to be put in.

Agree? Do you honestly think this kid was asked a question? He was given an order. Just my gut feeling here.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Agree? Do you honestly think this kid was asked a question? He was given an order. Just my gut feeling here.
The kid made a choice

now he gets to live with it.

and the shotgun marriage may or may not last

he can always walk away
and go back to Kenya Alaska

And Bristol and his baby can go on food stamps will manage just fine.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The kid made a choice

now he gets to live with it.

and the shotgun marriage may or may not last

he can always walk away
and go back to Kenya Alaska

And Bristol and his baby can go on food stamps will manage just fine.
Sure, the kid made a choice, and he should share in the responsibility/consequences of that choice, which, in a pro-life environment, generally entails supporting and helping to raise the child. I doubt he anticipated being trotted out for the consumption of the American public as being part of those responsibilities, though.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post

Do you really feel for him?

or

Are you just projecting?

Quote:
Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., center, greets Levi Johnston, left boyfriend of Bristol Palin, second left, as vice presidential candidate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, right, looks on as he arrives in Minneapolis, Minn., where he will attend the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Wednesday, Sept. 3, 2008.

There is no where for them to go right now.

Except to face it square on.

Kind of like when Tom Cruise and Katie Holms chose to release their baby's pictures so they would not be hounded.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM   #55
She's the One

There would be few things worse for me than being in the public eye. :shudder: I don't understand the craving to be famous in any way. This isn't a reflection on the boy, but geez, I would be screaming if something put me in the public eye.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

More on 'Troopergate':

ABC News: 'October Surprise' Over Palin Investigation?

'October Surprise' Over Palin Investigation?
"Likely Damaging" Report on Governor Scheduled for Release Days Before November Election
By BRIAN ROSS and LEN TEPPER
Sept. 2, 2008

Is the McCain campaign afraid of an 'October surprise' involving vice-presidential pick Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska?

The Alaska state senator running an investigation of Gov. Palin says the McCain campaign is using stall tactics to prevent him from releasing his final report by Oct. 31, four days before the November election.

"It's likely to be damaging to the Governor's administration," said Senator Hollis French, a Democrat, appointed the project manager for a bi-partisan State Senate Legislative Counsel Committee investigation of claims that Palin abused her office to get the Alaska public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, fired.

Palin, who has denied any wrongdoing and has said she has nothing to hide, hired private lawyers on Saturday, the day after Sen. McCain announced her as his running mate.

"Until then, the Governor used state lawyers and everything was fine," said Sen. French.

"That's wrong," said a spokesperson for the McCain campaign, Brian Rogers.

"The attorney was hired by the state Department of Law weeks ago, as part of the official duty to defend the governor," said Roger, and "obviously had nothing to do with either the McCain campaign."

A team of McCain campaign operatives arrived in Anchorage over the weekend "to help coordinate" her vice-presidential campaign, according to a McCain campaign official.

In a letter sent on Friday, Gov. Palin's new lawyer, Thomas V. Van Flein, requested a full list of documents, other evidence and witness statements from the Senate's investigation.

Senator French responded "it would be highly unusual for an investigator to share information with one of the targets of the investigation."

French said he still wanted to take testimony from Governor Palin sometime in September about allegations she wanted the public safety commissioner to fire her ex-brother-in-law following a messy divorce to her sister.

"The Governor first issued a blanket denial but now she's had to back down and that's a problem," said French. "She has a credibility problem," he said.

French says the investigation will also seek to learn how the Governor's office obtained confidential information from her ex-brother-in-law's personnel file.

"If she was involved, it would be a violation of state law," said French.

The controversy over the firing of public safety commissioner Monegan has been simmering for months in Alaska. Monegan has alleged he was fired because he rebuffed pressure from the Governor and her husband to dismiss her brother-in-law who served as a state trooper.

Palin says that she dismissed Monegan over an honest disagreement over budget priorities.

French says the McCain campaign failed to contact any of the Senators involved in the investigation during the vetting process of Gov. Palin.

"If they had done their job they never would have picked her," said French. "Now they may have to deal with an October surprise," he said, referring to the scheduled release Oct. 31 of the committee's final report.

Meanwhile, at a campaign stop today in Philadelphia, McCain told reporters that Palin was thoroughly checked out by his staff before being tapped.

"My vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," said McCain.

The report is a preliminary step prior to any effort to impeach the Governor, said French.

"That will be for the legislature to decide," he said.

McCain campaign officials say they were aware of the "trooper thing" but did not consider it an impediment to her selection as the running mate.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't think I'm projecting. I work with teenagers. I know how intensely private they can be, especially with matters that are serious. I see 17 year old boys every day that have gotten their girlfriends pregnant but they won't be appearing in prime time or need their parents' permission to marry their girlfriend. I feel for both of them.
I can't imagine having a famous parent. I would have been a disaster.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #58
Refugee

The public eye. Palin and Obama. "Lies and Scandal" versus "Love."
Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
What does Sarah Palin think of the new U2 album being pushed to 2009?

She just hopes Bono is okay.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Maybe I am late to the party but I think I've finally wrapped my head around this choice.

McCain didn't pick her because she would attract the disenfranchised women from HRC's camp, which was a rather asanine proposition to begin with (aside from anecdotal bits about select voters here and there, it would take MILLIONS of her 18 million 'cracks in the glass ceiling' to matter).

He picked her because she would be a sympathetic punching bag and he could turn a lot of 'middle' voters against the media first and then by proxy against Obama.

Her qualifications are almost off the table right now.
First of all you have the Obama experience issue, not the most impressive resume.
"How can you attack her resume with a similar one?"
It doesn't merely take the issue of experience off the table FOR Obama, it makes her nearly impervious to the charge as well. A charge they KNOW will be made. Hence=punching bag

Then you have the idea that there is a vicious and ugly Far Left (examples" the slimey attack blogs like Daily Kos and the nutjob protesters who have showed up at BOTH conventions) They make her sympathetic to a lot of mothers with their attacks. The protesters work to turn middle American by themselves and their "unAmericanism" this doesn't have to do with the Palin selection directly but it works to form the "Far Left" narrative, as in, "they are all against us!!!" And then the flag waving begins...

Then you have the perception that the media was always in the tank for Obama.
It's made all attacks against her specious. They made the pregnant daughter thign an issue and it (IMO) has backfired.

Brilliant.

Now, does that mean it will change the election? Maybe not.
However, strategically speaking, I think it was a bold, smart move.

They've gone from the damage of Obama's inxperience, in which this well has run pretty dry to turn the tables and make this about the media being unfair to the poor mother whos' become a punching bag.

And we wonder why Republicans win elections.