Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But she specifically left out the part about it not selling on eBay. She intentionally made it sound like she had sold the plane on eBay. That's a lie.

Yes, it's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but that's my point: why lie about something so inconsequential?

But she specifically left out the part about it not selling on eBay. She intentionally made it sound like she had sold the plane on eBay. That's a lie.

Yes, it's irrelevant and doesn't matter, but that's my point: why lie about something so inconsequential?

Weak.

She's consistently said "put in on Ebay", not "sold." The point is she decided to get rid of something wasteful and unnecessary, and eventually sold it for close to what was paid for it. I still see no lie.

...I don't really agree that it's an out and out "lie" though. All she said is "I put it on eBay." Which is completely true. I don't think it sounds likes she intentionally trying to make it sound like it sold on eBay, only that she's trying to get across that she wanted to sell it, which she did.

...I don't really agree that it's an out and out "lie" though. All she said is "I put it on eBay." Which is completely true. I don't think it sounds likes she intentionally trying to make it sound like it sold on eBay, only that she's trying to get across that she wanted to sell it, which she did.

It's a lie of omission. She could have easily said, "I put it on eBay, but it didn't sell there, but I didn't give up, and I eventually sold it this way[whatever way she ended up selling it]", but she didn't. By saying, "I put it on eBay", she is clearly implying that it resulted in a sale.

Saying the rest wouldn't have done any damage whatsoever to her, so why omit it?

I understand that it is an unimportant issue - she is the one making a big deal of it in the first place - but my point is that if she is willing to lie about this, even an unimportant, trivial, lie of omission, what else is she willing to lie about?

It's a lie of omission. She could have easily said, "I put it on eBay, but it didn't sell there, but I didn't give up, and I eventually sold it this way[whatever way she ended up selling it]", but she didn't. By saying, "I put it on eBay", she is clearly implying that it resulted in a sale.

Saying the rest wouldn't have done any damage whatsoever to her, so why omit it?

Because she wasn't trying to tell a story. She used that anecdote as an example of her cutting things that are wasteful and giving that money back to the people. I can't believe we're even having a discussion about this...

but my point is that if she is willing to lie about this, even an unimportant, trivial, lie of omission, what else is she willing to lie about?

Please. Your partisanship is blinding you to common sense and rationality. Get some fresh air.

Attention gays and lesbians, good news, Palin's church thinks it can cure you.

"At the 11:15 a.m. Sunday service, hundreds sit in folding chairs, listening to a 20-minute sermon about the Book of Malachi and singing along to alt-rock praise songs. The only sign of culture warring in the whole production is an insert in the day's program advertising an upcoming Focus on the Family conference on homosexuality in Anchorage called Love Won Out. The group promises to teach attendees how to "respond to misinformation in our culture" and help them "overcome" homosexuality."

Time.

I understand that it is an unimportant issue - she is the one making a big deal of it in the first place - but my point is that if she is willing to lie about this, even an unimportant, trivial, lie of omission, what else is she willing to lie about?

Come on, man. It was one line meant to illustrate a point. It was not a lie of omission. The main point she was making is that she wanted to sell the jet, not that she put it on Ebay (besides "I put it on eBay" is almost synonymous with "I sold it" anyway). She omitted the rest because what she should was sufficient, imo. I don't think by not completely filling in the story she created any false premise. Watching the speech and reading the speech, the only clear implication I get is that she sold it.

And honestly I think you're reeeeally stretching if you're going to use this perceived lie of omission as an opening to ponder what else she'd lie about.

Use her lies about earmarks and the Bridge to Nowhere to do that. :wink:

Because she wasn't trying to tell a story. She used that anecdote as an example of her cutting things that are wasteful and giving that money back to the people. I can't believe we're even having a discussion about this...

Please. Your partisanship is blinding you to common sense and rationality. Get some fresh air.

Everything I've heard and read about her and from her has made me distrust her intensely on a gut level. It is scary to think of her ascending to the presidency in the event of McCain's demise. Perhaps this intense distrust of mine is causing me to be overly sensitive to anything she says that could even remotely be the smallest of lies.

Everything I've heard and read about her and from her has made me distrust her intensely on a gut level. It is scary to think of her ascending to the presidency in the event of McCain's demise. Perhaps this intense distrust of mine is causing me to be overly sensitive to anything she says that could even remotely be the smallest of lies.

Palin scares me too. I don't know what McCain was thinking in this. I actually liked him until a few days ago.

September 6, 2008
Obama: Republicans must think you’re stupid
Posted: 03:30 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Sen. Obama mocked the McCain-Palin ticket for casting themselves as mavericks.
TERRE HAUTE, Indiana (CNN) – Since leaving their convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, John McCain and Sarah Palin have tried to cast themselves as mavericks, Washington outsiders, the real agents of change.

Barack Obama isn’t buying it and wants the label for himself.

“Everywhere I go we’ve been talking about change, that’s been the theme of this campaign,” Obama told supporters in a show barn in Indiana. “And we must be on to something, because I notice now everyone’s talking about change now.”

“Suddenly [McCain’s] the change agent!” Obama laughed. “He says, “I’m going to tell those lobbyists that their days of running Washington are over.” Who’s he going to tell? Is he going to tell his campaign chairman who’s one of the biggest corporate lobbyists in Washington? Is he going to tell his campaign manager who was one of the biggest corporate lobbyists in Washington? Is he going to tell all the folks who are running his campaign who are the biggest corporate lobbyists in Washington?”

“Who is it that he’s going to tell that change is coming?” he added, “I mean come on, they must think you’re stupid!”

Obama said Thursday that he’ll focus on McCain because he’s running against McCain and not his running mate Sarah Palin. But Saturday Obama singled out Palin for the first time for flip-flopping on earmarks while governor of Alaska.

“She is a skillful politician,” said Obama, “but when you’ve been taking all these earmarks when it is convenient and then suddenly you’re the champion anti-earmark person, that is not change, come on. I mean, words mean something. You can’t just make stuff up. You can’t just make stuff up.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Filed under: Barack Obama • John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin

129 Comments | Permalink

Palin: Biden isn't an agent of change
Posted: 03:15 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Gov. Palin said Sen. Biden isn't capable of transforming Washington.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) – Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin attacked her Democratic counterpart for the first time on Saturday, accusing Sen. Joe Biden of being a creature of Capitol Hill incapable of transforming Washington.

“You know, the choices that presidential nominees make for running mate they say a lot about them,” Palin told an audience of 12,000 flag-waving Republicans who had gathered in a jet hangar here.

“When our opponent made his choice, he went for a fine man,” she said. “A decent man. Sen. Biden can claim many chairmanships across many, many years in Washington, and certainly many friends in the Washington establishment. But even those admirers would not be able to call him an agent of change.”

Meanwhile, she said, “Sen. McCain has called the two of us a team of mavericks. John McCain knows that we’ve done some shaking up in Alaska.”

Palin ventured briefly into the world of economic policy during her remarks, calling for reform at mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which are now facing the prospect of a government bailout. Palin has largely avoided policy discussions on the campaign trail thus far, instead focusing on her own biography and emphasizing her reformer credentials.

Read the rest of this entry »

Filed under: Barack Obama • Sarah Palin

124 Comments | Permalink

Palin scares me too.

:up:

Barracudas voracious predators!

Nothing, no one is safe around them !!!

(moose, polar bears?, reindeer, caribou, pristine natural open spaces)

fish-great-barracuda.jpg

Image:Barracuda_with_prey.jpg

Barracudas are elongated fish with powerful jaws.
The lower jaw of the large mouth juts out beyond the upper.
Barracudas possess strong, fang-like teeth.

Seems like some Christian leaders were none too thrilled about Palin's knocks against community organizers.

Very well-known Jim Wallis wants an apology:

"The convention crowd in St. Paul thought that was very funny. But it wasn't. It was actually quite insulting to the army of community organizers who work in the most challenging places across the country and have such a tremendous impact on the everyday lives of millions of people. I guess Palin and her fellow Republican delegates don't know much about that. The "actual responsibilities" of community organizers literally provide the practical support, collective strength, and hope for a better future that low-income families need to survive."

"Community organizers are now most focused in the faith community, working with tens of thousands of pastors and laypeople in thousands of congregations around the country. Faith-based organizing is the critical factor in many low-income communities in the country's poorest urban and rural areas, and church leaders are often the biggest supporters of community organizers."

"And when you put the accomplishments of politicians alongside those of community organizers for poor families, it isn't even close. Without the pressure from community organizers and the movements they lead, there would often be nobody to hold politicians accountable."

"Palin's effort to attack the experience of Barack Obama, a former community organizer in Chicago, turned into a bad joke and an insult. Palin owes a lot of good people an apology."

Then there is the Bishop of the Church of God in Christ (as an aside, this is the FASTEST growing pentecostal church in America):

"As a lifelong Republican, the comments I heard last night about community organizing crossed the line. It is one thing to question someone's experience, another to demean the work of millions of hardworking Americans who take time to get involved in their communities. When people come together in my church hall to improve our community, they're building the Kingdom of God in San Diego. We see the fruits of community organizing in safer streets, new parks, and new affordable housing. It's the spirit of democracy for people to have a say and we need more of it," Bishop Roy Dixon, prelate of the Southern California 4th ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Church of God in Christ"

As soon as I heard this comment come out of Palin's mouth, it struck me as completely inappropriate, and I did think of faith-based community organizing. Also, as somebody who was raised a Catholic, community outreach and work is such a staple that I thought those Catholic independents would pick up on the offensive nature of the comment as well.

I'm glad that she is being called out on it by very prominent members of the Christian faith community.

Palin is now going to be fearfully hiding and studying and being tutored by Joe Lieberman who now seems like he might be her puppetmaster which is what McCain almost sort of originally wanted unavailable to the press for what's looking like 2 weeks now.

because that's totally fine. it's not at all third world or anything.

i'm sorry i've been so sexist demanding that she speak to the press and tell us her positions on issues and how she's arrived at them and how she'll act as VP and how she would govern if she were to somehow wind up with the presidency.

no one would ever ask a man that question.

Palin is now going to be fearfully hiding and studying and being tutored by Joe Lieberman who now seems like he might be her puppetmaster which is what McCain almost sort of originally wanted unavailable to the press for what's looking like 2 weeks now.

because that's totally fine. it's not at all third world or anything.

i'm sorry i've been so sexist demanding that she speak to the press and tell us her positions on issues and how she's arrived at them and how she'll act as VP and how she would govern if she were to somehow wind up with the presidency.

no one would ever ask a man that question.

VERY NICE!!!!!

lg_a-borat2.jpg

I'm a bit fearful of Palin as VP, but not because of this discrepancy over her sale of the plane. Probably because what few views she's expressed (it's OK to use your position of power to fire people on shaky grounds, community organizers don't hold value, etc.) are the opposite of what I believe.

Seems like some Christian leaders were none too thrilled about Palin's knocks against community organizers.

Very well-known Jim Wallis wants an apology:

Then there is the Bishop of the Church of God in Christ (as an aside, this is the FASTEST growing pentecostal church in America):

As soon as I heard this comment come out of Palin's mouth, it struck me as completely inappropriate, and I did think of faith-based community organizing. Also, as somebody who was raised a Catholic, community outreach and work is such a staple that I thought those Catholic independents would pick up on the offensive nature of the comment as well.

I'm glad that she is being called out on it by very prominent members of the Christian faith community.
I think it is promising that the GOP is trying to separate itself from something faith based (irony).

Obamas campaigning on the power of faith based organisations is unsettling to me and it would be an important reason not to vote for him (seriously - and that logic would exclude the GOP with a few magnitudes more issues).

I think it is promising that the GOP is trying to separate itself from something faith based (irony).

But they are not.

Community organizing is not, by definition, faith-based. In fact, most of it is actually secular. To demean it is really strange, especially by the GOP which runs on a platform of "you shouldn't expect the government to take care of you." So they should be rather pleased that there are non-profit organizations that step in and lift the social burden.

The reason I brought in the faith-based commentary is that it seemed particularly contrary to Christian teachings and Christian activities carried out in the US, so that it was nice to see some representatives of this community express that thought as well.

When I listened to the snarky and demeaning and condescending remarks of former beauty pageant loser Sarah Palin at the Republican National Convention Wednesday night, I could scarcely believe what I was hearing:

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

Ooo-oooh, Caribou Barbie makes a funny, hardee-har-har. Well yuk it up now, little miss former junior college baby machine, because your sarcastic attempt to belittle America's community of hardworking professional community organizers is about to backfire -- big time. Because, for your information, I am America's community organizer community.

By now most of you know I am a candidate for President of the United States. What you may not know is that for the past 4 months, I have also been a proud member of Campaign For a Better Humanity, a non-profit community outreach program I created with a joint grant from Johnson County Community Services and the Iowa State Work Release Program.

What do community organizers do? As you know, Americans today are struggling with problems. These problems include rising unemployment, energy cost, alienation, animosity, corporations, and increased death. Like no other time in our history, Americans are staring into an abyss of a hellhole of helplessness. And this is where community organizers like me come in and provide needed solutions. Specifically, America's community organizers:

reach out and work with communities in various ways.
liaison with, and for, community agencies for service within affected areas.
fight to make a difference.
raise awareness.
deal with community issues.
raise awareness in the community of how we are making differences about undealt-with issues .
when necessary, refer inquiries to outreach coordinators.
Help coordination agency administrators identify and address outreach opportunities.
model timetables and conceptualize benchmarks.
issue guidelines for poster contests and interpretive dance festivals.
Gather voter registrations, win valuable prizes.
And that's just the beginning. Let me give you some specific examples of how community organizer organizations like CFBH are making a difference right here in Majestic Oakewoods, a subdivision off exit 242. As you know, in the year since I moved here my community has experienced a rash of crime, despair, and abandoned homes. To address these community problems, I reached out to local groups of disaffected dropout youths who were struggling with unemployment. During a rap-session kegger at my home, I spoke with them about ways they could get involved with the community and help protect the environment. Together we organized an innovative free community bicycle / metal recycling program. I am proud to say that it has been so successful that our private sector partner, Kyle's Salvage, has encouraged us to create an expanded free community car program.

I am also proud to report that my outreach efforts have also helped get local disadvantaged youths involved in the community through politics. We met with local elected officials and showed them how successful programs piloted by ACORN in Chicago and Milwaukee could be adapted to keep local youths off the streets. The result is CFBH's wildly popular Beer and Smokes for Votes program.

But it's not just young people who benefit through community organizing efforts. For example I also make frequent visits to Whispering Acres, the senior assisted living center across from Hy-Vee. Like many elderly people across America, the residents there often struggle with forgetfulness and confusion. As a community organizer, I listen to their concerns and boring, meandering stories about the Depression. Then, when they eventually fall asleep, I help by checking their mail and storage areas and medicine cabinets to see what needs organizing. If they suddenly wake back up, I enjoy helping them fill out various legal and financial forms, and voter registrations. I'm proud to say that through efforts like these, many of these seniors have come to think of me as family. And dude, I mean totally convinced.

So yes, Sarah Palin, you igloo-dwelling ignoramus, I am a Community Organizer - and damned proud of it. And I will be proud to bring my community organizing skills to the White House while you snowmobile in shame back to your stupid Alaska podunk moose meth lab. Speaking for America's dedicated community organizers and the hundreds of millions of Americans whose very lives depend on us -- we will not sit here while you badmouth the United States of America.
iowahawk: When America's Communities Need Organizing, America's Community Organizers Will Be There to Organize Them

Economic Development
Palin Announced the City Was Trying to Woo Kinetic Aviation. “At the July 26 meeting of the
Wasilla City Council, Mayor Sarah Palin revealed that Ric Davidge, economic developer and planner for
the city, has been working to woo the Livermore, Calif.-based Kinetic Aviation to the Valley.”
[Frontiersman, 8/10/99] DID THEY ACTUALLY GET THIS COMPANY
Palin Announced Kinetic Aviation Would Locate its Aircraft Production Facility in Wasilla. “In a
press release received Tuesday, Mayor Sarah Palin announced that Kinetic Aviation Mountain Goat
(KAI) has chosen to locate its aircraft production facility in Wasilla.” [Frontiersman, 10/1/99]
Palin Signed Resolution Supporting Building Municipal-Owned, State-Operated Prisons In Alaska.
In 2002, Palin signed a resolution in support of the concept of establishing multiple, municipal owned,
state operated prisons, which “would benefit Alaskans by providing much needed construction and
permanent, year-round prison jobs.” [Resolution 02-06, 3/11/2002]
Palin Signed Resolution To Bring Youth Detention Facility to Wasilla. In 1998, Palin signed a
resolution asking the state of Alaska to consider Wasilla as a location site for a youth detention facility. In
1998, she signed another resolution that said the Council “continues to support the State’s Youth
Detention Facility and requests that it be located in or near Wasilla City Limits.” [Resolution 97-49 (am),
1/26/1998; Resolution 98-08, 3/9/1998]

Bloody hell. This is her idea of economic development? :doh:

sure

make light of serious things

I watched the movie

Brideshead Revisited

it had a factual accounting of how wrong choices
can destroy a young man's life

Off topic, but I've heard that this movie is not faithful to the book.

In the book, it is clearly implied that it is Sebastian's alcoholism and rejection of Catholicism that destroy his life. His possible homosexuality is not of central importance to the tale.

I don't understand why some movie-makers decide to re-write perfectly good novels to suit prevailing mores and passing trends.

Link

The lie about Palin selling the plane was actually McCain's doing:

"You know what I enjoyed the most, she took the luxury jet bought by her predecessor and sold it on eBay," he said. "And made a profit."

Just totally inventing things now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom