Is our schools failing? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 AM
A couple things from my perspective of being a teacher--

Parents need to get involved. I see more and more parents acting like I'm supposed to be the one responsible for raising their child. Many parents don't want to force their children to do their homework and lay down the law. These are the parents who think "they won't like me" if they tell thier children to get off the playstation and do their work.

If we want a decent education system in the U.S., we'd better start paying for it. We want test scores to increase, we'd better start paying for it. Exactly how hard am I supposed to work as a teacher when I'm getting paid $27,500 this year? After taxes and union dues(which I'm forced to pay), that turns out to be about $750 to $800 every 2 weeks. Seriously, I made more money in college when I was a bartender.... On top of that, to keep my teaching license I need to take classes every summer which I also have to pay for. Keep in mind that on average throughout the year most good teachers(at least the ones I know) will spend about 60 hours per week with teaching, planning, researching and grading.

Don't get me wrong, I put every ounce of energy into teaching because I love it, but sometimes it gets frustrating putting in all this work for what seems like peanuts. Society is putting a value on my services, and it doesn't seem to be much value does it? A lot of teachers out there simply stop putting in the effort because they feel they are underappreciated and like they're not treated like professionals--which is part of the reason for failing schools.

Anyway, enough of my rant. There are obviously many other issues but I've gotta get going. I actually have the afternoon open and am gonna head to school and start planning some lessons because in only 2.5 weeks school starts!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
A couple things from my perspective of being a teacher--

Parents need to get involved. I see more and more parents acting like I'm supposed to be the one responsible for raising their child. Many parents don't want to force their children to do their homework and lay down the law. These are the parents who think "they won't like me" if they tell thier children to get off the playstation and do their work.
I agree with this! There is a certain amount of lipservice that SOME parents give, but they do not support when push comes to shove. Example, I received a letter this year explaining that baseball was starting along with the end of hockey, so I needed to be giving less homework since the demands of the baseball season were so high.

Quote:
If we want a decent education system in the U.S., we'd better start paying for it. We want test scores to increase, we'd better start paying for it. Exactly how hard am I supposed to work as a teacher when I'm getting paid $27,500 this year? After taxes and union dues(which I'm forced to pay), that turns out to be about $750 to $800 every 2 weeks. Seriously, I made more money in college when I was a bartender.... On top of that, to keep my teaching license I need to take classes every summer which I also have to pay for. Keep in mind that on average throughout the year most good teachers(at least the ones I know) will spend about 60 hours per week with teaching, planning, researching and grading.

I was so happy to be making that amount my first years of teaching. Getting your master's within the 1st five years should increase your salary faster, since you are taking classes anyways. Your union did not negotiate for courses? We are reimbursed for up to $1000 a year for courses. We as a profession, do put in a ton of hours that the public doesn't take into account. We also get more time off than ANYONE I know. As a young teacher I worked my other job. I have always worked in the summer to bring in a little extra in the summer.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I put every ounce of energy into teaching because I love it, but sometimes it gets frustrating putting in all this work for what seems like peanuts. Society is putting a value on my services, and it doesn't seem to be much value does it? A lot of teachers out there simply stop putting in the effort because they feel they are underappreciated and like they're not treated like professionals--which is part of the reason for failing schools.
Many of the problems with respect for the profession come from the difficulties in removing the VERY SMALL minority of people who do not do their job. It takes almost three years to remove a teacher in Massachusetts that is not doing their job. Administrators are letting crap teachers get through the window, instead of firing them in the first two years of their career.

We also get a TREMENDOUS retirement package(I will retire at 58 and get 80% of the average of my highest three years of Pay), that many people do not get as well as HEALTH insurance at a mcu lesser rate than ANYONE I know.

The other problem, is that EVERYONE has had at least one bad experience with a teacher. That carries over into adulthood. People remember their favorite teachers and their least favorites.

Quote:
Anyway, enough of my rant. There are obviously many other issues but I've gotta get going. I actually have the afternoon open and am gonna head to school and start planning some lessons because in only 2.5 weeks school starts!
I set my classroom up two weeks ago. I am sending a letter home to my new students this week.

Good luck on the upcoming school year.