Is our President for real? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #91
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:33 PM
And while I'm waiting for my ride to pick me up so I can go out dancing, let me look at a few of these:

Quote:
Originally posted by Discoteque
Sex outside of marriage brings:
- unwanted pregnancy which may lead to abortion
- a myriad of STDs, many of which have no cure, and can even kill you
- lots of guilt and shame
- plumetting self-esteem for some when a sexual relationship ends
- tendency to "compare" your mate with those who came before
- lack of trust between mates if they have both had sex before marriage

"Unwanted pregnancy": Yes, but you can be careful.

"A myraid of STDs": See above.

"Lots of guilt and shame": Not for everyone. Some people feel that sex, while a very special thing, is also quite natural. Personally, I think as long as both partners are ethical, honest, and careful, there's no shame in having sex.

"Plummeting self-esteem": FOR SOME, maybe, but in my experience there's no difference between ended relationships in which there was no sex and ended relationships in which there was. I mourn them depending on how much time there was put in and how much I cared for the person.

"Tendency to compare": Well, maybe, but my gut is giving me a resounding "So what?" on this one. You might compare, for example, your husband's cooking skills to that of an ex, or his ability to play basketball or whatever. Does this automatically make a relationship unhealthy?

"Lack of trust": If they've both had sex before marriage and have no deep-seated issues about it, why would there be a lack of trust? I've dated both virgin and non-virgin guys, and I trust them all equally (at least until they give me cause not to).

I think you might be making a lot of assumptions here, Discoteque--and at least a couple border on the offensive to me and, I suspect, to others here as well.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #92
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Discoteque

Sex outside of marriage brings:
- unwanted pregnancy which may lead to abortion
Does being married prevent this? If someone is irresponsible to begin with, a wedding ring and a marriage certificate isn't going to change that. Married women have unplanned pregnancies and abortions too.

Birth control fails for married women too.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Does being married prevent this? If someone is irresponsible to begin with, a wedding ring and a marriage certificate isn't going to change that. Married women have unplanned pregnancies and abortions too.

Birth control fails for married women too.

I know some real horror stories about birth control failing married women but I won't get into them. "Guilt and shame" happen both inside and outside of wedlock. Yes, married women have "unplanned pregnancies" and abortions. I'm Catholic and I believe that marriage is a sacrament, but honestly, there are some things marriage doesn't change.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:12 PM   #94
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The medical community is split wrt the links between breast cancer and birth control pills. Large numbers, if not the majority of practicing physicians find the links to be statistically insignificant.

Once again, I say, it is up to each individual to make their own choice after weighing all the risks. Surely, there are some (headaches, nausea, weight gain or loss, breast tenderness, potentially cancer links), but a lot of it is also fearmongering, and the line must be drawn someplace. Zooropa, remember when you're out there demonizing the pill, that many women who may be reading it depend on this medication daily and for them, it may have changed their lives infinitely for the better, risks and all.
You know, it's getting a little annoying. Does anyone even bother to read my posts? I've never demonized the pill... nevermind, if you don't understand me by now, whats the point...............