Is our President for real? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa
PLUS....
CONDOMS ARE SAFER.

Are all you people condomophobes????
What I don't understand is why are pills OK for married women but not for single women? That certainly indicates his belief that married women can have as much sex as they want, while single women better be sitting around with their chastity belts.

Condoms may be safer in terms of side effects, but I'd like to know which studies you're citing that state they are more effective in preventing pregnancy?

Old 03-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:

PLUS....
CONDOMS ARE SAFER.

Are all you people condomophobes????
People have latex allergies. Condoms break. Unmarried couples might feel that a condom impairs intimacy. Condoms combined with birth control are more effective in preventing pregnancies than either method alone.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:49 PM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

You're not supposed to use condoms. You're supposed to have faith, read the Bible, and pray to Jesus so that the sperm won't hit the egg.

Melon
The one thing I hate about being a Republican, is trying to defend the religious right, for even when they are right in principle, their execution and religious fanatism are so hard to get around.

Ay Carumba.........
Old 03-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
A married couple generally knows far more about their partners sexual history, than an unmarried couple.
A ring doesn't have the power to automatically give you wisdom.

You've read way too much Tolkein!

Marriage had nothing to do with this, faithfullness does. And there are a lot more faithful non married couples out there than you are giving credit for.

The problem is the religious right has no place in our political system. Bush has let them trickle in from all angles and I find it odd that there are some seemingly intelligent Republicans that defend these moves. But the only reason is because it's Bush. It turns into a dangerous trip of the blind leading the blind
Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:25 AM

People seem to be forgetting that you can be in a long term relationship without being married, or ever wanting to get married. If it were up to this guy, those people wouldn't be allowed to have the savest form of sex (if you are smart, you use a condom as well a medical contraceptive).

The assumption that a married couple know more about each others sexual history is nothing more than that..., an assumtion.

And when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:57 PM   #51
Acrobat

ARGHHHH!!!! so much to say, not enough time. Gotta go to work. I will return tomorrow, if the thread is still going....
Old 03-06-2003, 07:05 PM   #52
New Yorker

This has sort of already been said, but i just have to reiterate the point about married v. unmarried. If we assume that someone can decide married couples should get contraception but not unmarried couples, then you'd necessarily have to look at the state of the marriage too. There's no way to enforce that married couples are honest and open to each other, therefore the idea of giving contraceptives JUST to them is misguided. We aren't going to start legislating fidelity and monogamy, so it seems rather off-base.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #53
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:

That said, condoms are by far the most effective form of birth control, including prescription contraceptives. So theoretically, if you regularly use a condom, you won't need any other form of birth control.
I'd like to know where you're getting this information. I was always told that it's best to use 2 forms of contraception: a condom (primarily to prevent STDs) and something like the Pill or the diaphragm to prevent pregnancy.

Planned Parenthood's website gives condoms 86-98% success rate in preventing pregnancy (which, admittedly, goes up near 100% IF THE MAN WITHDRAWS--and, ladies, how often does that happen? ). Meanwhile, the Pill (the combination Pill, *not* the progestin-only pill, made a mistake) is 95-99.9% effective ALL BY ITSELF. (I also checked WebMD--the link is listed a few posts later--which gives a success rate of 97& to the Pill, so PP isn't inflating its numbers.)

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/bc/cchoices.html

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #54
Ghost of Love

Quote:

condoms are by far the most effective form of birth control, including prescription contraceptives. So theoretically, if you regularly use a condom, you won't need any other form of birth control.
What??!?!

Most of what has been said made sense up to this point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my information tells me the most effective forms of contraception are, in this order:

1. Abstinence
2. the "pill"
3. IUD

The condom is way down the list as far as I know.

Interesting link I I found:

http://www.helioshealth.com/birth_co...ess_chart.html

Discusses all different forms from the main page..

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 09:06 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

It should be noted that while I say these things, I'm a virgin, engaged to be married, and absolutely TERRIFIED of using the pill because of side effects. I mean VERY VERY VERY scared. I have no intention of ever using it. Also, I would never use mifepristone because I believe life begins at conception, AND I don't think it should be an OTC drug and that regulations for its administration should be revised and physicians should play an active roll after mifepristone has been prescribed because many of the complications mimic acceptable effects of the drug.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:09 PM   #56
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, Zooropa, where's your stats on the amazing effectiveness of the condom as compared to the Pill? We're waaaaaaaaitiiiiiinnnnng...

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

You're not supposed to use condoms. You're supposed to have faith, read the Bible, and pray to Jesus so that the sperm won't hit the egg.

Melon
Now I am confused. Is this the Republican position? The Religious Right position? The Christian position? The Catholic position? The missionary position?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #58
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Meegannie: while I'm not disputing that sometimes some pills can have adverse effects, I'm not sure why you're *quite* so scared. The first time I tried the Pill, I was on Triphasil, which is (shockingly enough) a triphasic pill regimen (meaning you take a few different kinds of pills with different kinds and amounts of hormones at different times during the month). BIG mistake: I gained weight, became severely depressed, couldn't concentrate on anything, cried for hours at a time...okay, it was not a fun time in my life.

So I went back to my doctor and explained everything that was happening. They had me go off the Pill entirely for two months to "clean house," so to speak. Then they started me on Alesse (also known as Aviane, the generic), which is a low-dose pill (so it doesn't freak out your body as much). The result? I've been on this pill now for almost three years (with a few breaks when I wasn't sexually active). It helped clear up my skin, lightened my periods, and (best of all!) helped to set my mind at ease about pregnancy.

Here's what WebMD has to say about the Pill, incidentally--the most common side effects ain't nothing to worry about:

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwi...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Well, the money is one BIG issue, especially since I won't have health care in a couple of months, but I also have a massive fear of gaining ANY weight. I'm just afraid it would screw up my metabolism forever.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:29 PM   #60
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Many women's health clinics offer oral contraceptives for free or on a sliding scale (basically, you pay what you can afford--Planned Parenthood works that way, for example). And with a low-dose pill, you're much less likely to experience significant metabolic changes.

Join Amnesty.