Is loyalty bound to a nation? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:58 AM
Is loyalty bound to a nation?

I've been living in Canada now since last spring, moving here for love and career, but I was born and raised in the southern US. Some people ask me whether I think of myself as Canadian or American but I don't think I should have to choose one or the other. I don't think its disloyal to my birthplace to have Canada as my adopted country, neither do I think I should have to give up my heritage as an American. Is this trying to have my cake and eat it too or is it perfectly acceptable? I prefer to put my beliefs behind ideas- like democracy, human rights- rather than under a particular flag.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Although my heart will always belong to Canada.. I stand as a Global Citizen, concerened not just for what is right for Canada.. but for humanity in general.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Is loyalty bound to a nation?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGenericPoet
Is this trying to have my cake and eat it too or is it perfectly acceptable? I prefer to put my beliefs behind ideas- like democracy, human rights- rather than under a particular flag.

Nah, I think what you said about ideas is great! and many nations can have those same ideas.

This is a bit different, but what I DON'T like is when people living in the US complain about EVERYTHING here, and it gets to a point where I just want to scream THEN GET THE FUCK OUT!!!

For example, one of my good friends in high school was raised in Hong Kong, Thailand and Bangladesh b/c her parents were missionaries. Her and her mom would complain endlessly about all of the flaws in the US and how much better life is in Hong Kong, or how Michigan is so drab and Thailand is so beautiful, on and on and on.

They had this attitude that it was OK for them to put us down because my other friends and I haven't been priviledged enough to live or visit anywhere else in the world and that somehow I am stupid because I actually prefer the United States to any other country. It just got so annoying! and it's not like I sat there preaching about the US and my patriotism, I never said anything to set them off.

It just brings to mind this one day we went shopping and my friend bought a pair of flip-flops that were navy blue with a white and red stripe and her mom got mad b/c she thought we were being too patriotic.

If they don't like it here, they why don't they LEAVE already??
Old 01-29-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Re: Re: Is loyalty bound to a nation?

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

If they don't like it here, they why don't they LEAVE already??
I'm desperately trying to stay out, and know people who want to leave, but it's not always possible.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Katey
Although my heart will always belong to Canada.. I stand as a Global Citizen, concerened not just for what is right for Canada.. but for humanity in general.
That's how I feel about being an American.

My officemate is Australian but she's been living here for 25 years. She considers herself an Australian, would never give up her Australian passport, but loves living here and now that the US is offering dual citizenship, she's going to go for it mainly so she can vote in the upcoming election but also because of the Patriot Act which makes her feel vulnerable.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:58 PM
I would have problem with giving up my passport for one of another country (by choice of course)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:58 AM

Quote:
I prefer to put my beliefs behind ideas- like democracy, human rights- rather than under a particular flag.

Here here. National ideology has been one of the most desctructive forces of the past couple of centuries.

sd
Old 01-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Mother Teresa once said:

Quote:
"By blood, I am Albanian. By my citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus."
I like that.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
LCK
Acrobat

Awwww Matt- just declare allegiance to your own mini country like Peter on Family Guy and piss both sides off.

Seriously, ideas over flags is an admirable notion.

And anitram, love the Mother Theresa quote.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LCK
Awwww Matt- just declare allegiance to your own mini country like Peter on Family Guy and piss both sides off.

Seriously, ideas over flags is an admirable notion.

And anitram, love the Mother Theresa quote.
I love that quote. I'm going to put that in my next picture!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I've been living in Canada now since last spring, moving here for love and career, but I was born and raised in the southern US. Some people ask me whether I think of myself as Canadian or American but I don't think I should have to choose one or the other. I don't think its disloyal to my birthplace to have Canada as my adopted country, neither do I think I should have to give up my heritage as an American. Is this trying to have my cake and eat it too or is it perfectly acceptable? I prefer to put my beliefs behind ideas- like democracy, human rights- rather than under a particular flag.
I like what you say here, and I agree with it wholly.

And, since there's a good chance that I'll be living in Toronto by this time next year, it's also somewhat applicable to me.

Melon
Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Like Salome, I could never give up my citizenship of my country. You can take me out of here, but I will always be an Aussie. I reckon dual citizenships are a great thing though and agree completely with you all.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:34 AM   #13
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:58 PM
oops, I meant "NO problem"

same kind of reasoning actually though
though it just sort of makes sense to me to have the nationality of the country where you have decided that you want to live I ended up being the person that I am now because of growing up here in the netherlands
and being in another country with a different passport could not change that

it's just a piece of paper anyway
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #14
The Fly

Thanks for all the input and support everybody
Old 01-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #15
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Hehe I doubt I was any help, but I now kinda disagree with Salome, but kinda not. I guess we can only ever be what we feel. If that means becoming what your adopted country is its great, if not, well great too.
Having your cake and eating it too.