Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures?

John 14
Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Acts 4
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

1 Corinthians 8
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

(Forgot the exact scripture)
I tell you the truth. The man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and out and find safe pasture.

This is directed to those of you whop believe in the Bible of course. I don't want a bunch of "The Bible is just an outdated book about an angry God" BS. I just want to hear what you have to say about these pastures.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Re: Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures?

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
(Forgot the exact scripture)
I tell you the truth. The man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and out and find safe pasture.
John 10

And, yes, Jesus is the only way.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

no

just the scaredy-cats
Old 12-01-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
no

just the scaredy-cats
What do you mean.

I asked what you think of the scriptures.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Re: Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures?

Quote:

1 Corinthians 8
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
I think that is the crux of the matter. "Yet *for us*"

I refuse to believe that Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and all of the world's assorted tribal faiths, plus every ancient who came along prior to the New Testament, are all condemned because they do not follow one particular version of the truth.

Ultimately, that is what I believe--that we follow the same thing, under different names. And that it matters more what kind of person you are, and the life you lead, than what church you pray in or what book you read.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
No, I believe there are multiple paths to the truth.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

What do you mean.

I asked what you think of the scriptures.

scriptures are used to devide

to separate

us / them

it is not good

these scriptures are just words

serving the purposes of the writers
Old 12-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #8
She's the One

Re: Re: Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures?

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

I refuse to believe that Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and all of the world's assorted tribal faiths, plus every ancient who came along prior to the New Testament, are all condemned because they do not follow one particular version of the truth.

Ultimately, that is what I believe--that we follow the same thing, under different names. And that it matters more what kind of person you are, and the life you lead, than what church you pray in or what book you read.
Nicely said.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Re: Re: Is Jesus the only way to Heaven? How do you interpret these scriptures?

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

Yes. Very well said (as Martha already mentioned).

And I do think you have to question of the validity of the Bible...why would you base your entire life (and even your possible afterlife) on anything without some sort of verification...at least for each individual? Some people question and decide it works for them quite quickly, but for others it is a lifelong process (and some fine that it is not valid for them at all).
Old 12-01-2004, 05:42 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

ditto. the word "faith" is predicated upon doubt. otherwise you'd know, and there ain't nobody who *knows* God, or that Jesus is the Son of God, or whether or not the Bible was written by a bunch of dudes tripping on milennia old acid.

they *choose* to believe. hence, they have faith. faith strikes me as much more powerful and worthy should it arrive after years of innter struggle, discussion, debate, etc. faith handed down by culture and family without reflection and with passive acceptance means little more than the paper a bible was printed on.

not that any FYMers who believe do that. to the contrary, i am (mostly) quite impressed with the depth of reflection in the posts i read --- it's given me a new perspective on those who do call themselves Christian, since they are so different from the ones i've encountered thus far in my life.

but what else should we expect from U2 fans?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
Babyface

you either believe Jesus is the only way to a relationship with God or he was a liar or an idiot. what kind of person you are and the life you lead is not the path that Jesus offers through Him. It's your acceptance of His grace. You accept it or you don't. If you don't believe it that's fine, but it is not the same thing as other religions that do require certain behavior and actions on your behalf to have a relationship with God or some other spiritual entity or entities.

I agree with Deep, these verses are used by humans to divide, control and brain wash, but if you take out the human's nature to distort these verses for power, control, etc; they're simple, clear and profound. You accept them as Truth or you don't. If you don't, that doesn't necessarily make the one's that do accept them as Truth as divisive, seperatists or elitists. Sadly, "religion" has been used for the greatest tragedies in human history. Being a follower of Christ is not about a religion (i.e. you and I doing things to have a relationship with God), but rather an acceptance of Jesus's claims that He was the Son of God. If you believe Him then you follow what He says, but following what He says out of some "religious traditionalism" does nothing in regards to trusting Him and His offering of Grace as the only bridge to a relationship with a righteous God.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I believe the only way to Heaven is to recognize and accept God's Grace. The easiest way to recognize God's Grace is through Jesus, b/c he was a human manifestation of that Grace so it makes it a bit easier for us to understand. Anyone can accept God's Grace a go to Heaven. You can be a Christian all your life or not at all - as long as you have that faith in something larger than yourself and acknowledge that YOU cannot get yourself into Heaven. To me, the word "Christianity" (or Jew, or Muslim, or Hindu, or whatever) is just a way to categorize. "Christian" describes my lifestyle, my worship habits, and my values; it doesn't mean I've got a pre-paid ticket to Heaven.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:14 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by softhackle
you either believe Jesus is the only way to a relationship with God or he was a liar or an idiot.
Not true. Jesus said through him. I have never taken this as "you must know me to get to heaven." I have gone through many paths in life through doors people have opened for me without me having a relationship with them or even meeting them.

There's no way a loving God would deny heaven to any of his children just because they lived in a certain part of the world and have never heard of Jesus.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
you either believe Jesus is the only way to a relationship with God or he was a liar or an idiot.
Um.....I don't think so. Read my post above ^
Old 12-01-2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Jesus claimed he was the only way to the father. I don't think you can compromise on that. Some found him to be just a good moral teacher. I think that either he had to be the messiah, or he was a liar. I don't see much of an in-between.