Is it starting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownEyedBoy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I keep reading all these posts about political correctness and how some schools are banning all sorts of things regarding the belief of God.

The Bible does say that believers will be pursued for their beliefs and that the existance of God will be denied.

This seems like it is the beginning of it all.

...or maybe I'm just crying wolf.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I keep reading all these posts about political correctness and how some schools are banning all sorts of things regarding the belief of God.

The Bible does say that believers will be pursued for their beliefs and that the existance of God will be denied.

Yeah you're crying wolf. No one is denying the existence of God. People are just going to extreme measures to make sure everyone feels safe. That's all.

It's probably a good thing. When belief becomes less commercialized thats when people really start to test their own faiths.

It worries me in a way, because I don't know how far it will go. I'm not sure if it's already gone too far or not.

Macfistowannabe said:
It worries me in a way, because I don't know how far it will go. I'm not sure if it's already gone too far or not.

It hasn't gone that far, really. I mean, as stupid as the whole thing was, it WAS a public school. It's not like private education is about to be banned. There are always other options.

In a sense, it's exaggerated, by those who strongly die-hardly believe in God. I just wonder if it will get to the point where the average person has to freak out about it.

I think it's because too many people want to force their belief into the public schools even as this country is getting an increasingly diverse population. I think religion should be taught at home or at whatever religious institution a family is affiated with (if any). It should not be taught in public schools.

The history of religion, like the reformation, I think is a good thing to teach. The influence of religion that impacted our founding fathers could be tought as well. But it's nobody's job to force feed their beliefs into or out of our schools.

"The Bible does say that believers will be pursued for their beliefs and that the existance of God will be denied."

I believe that one day Christians will be enemies of the state.

Christians will be viewed as fools in their opposition to the "great leader" and the peace.

the iron horse said:
"The Bible does say that believers will be pursued for their beliefs and that the existance of God will be denied."

I believe that one day Christians will be enemies of the state.

Christians will be viewed as fools in their opposition to the "great leader" and the peace.

:lmao:

Yes Christians are so persecuted these days...:huh:

Whether or not God exists or doesnt exist SHOULD NOT be taught in school.

Personal discussion among friends is ok..

A official discussion is also ok..but the school management shouldnt take one side or the other.

The best is to AVOID it..and do such things in religious institutions or at home.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I've said I won't post in Free Your Mind again, but I woudl like to amke a comment about this.

While it's true Christians aren't really persecuted in America these days, the same can not be said for Christians living in China, certain 3rd world countries, and Islamic Theocracies. Christians in those places are constantly being jailed and even excuted.

On a sidenote... we had a group of Christian Peace group people come and give a lecture tonight. They had been in Iraq for the last 3 years, and said that even under Saddam Hussein, the Christians over there had been treated more fairly than they have been since the invasion. (80s, I understand Iraq was not a theocracy but a dictatorship, but I think it's an interesting counterpoint). I am not glorifying Hussein; he was still a sick bastard that needed to be removed. But from what Christians who were living over there said (they make up 5 % of the Iraqi population), they did not feel as persecuted as the Muslims within the nation.

pre-emptive knicker untwisting - this is tongue in cheek

martha said:
And why would a guy from Honduras be all weirded out by stuff that's happening in the US?

Life forms have actually been found outside the US, and this PC horseshit is actually happening everywhere.

...And whether Christians are being persecuted might depend a bit on your definition of persecution.

...Did I just stick up for Christianity?
:confused:

you know something? i live in amherst, MA. this town strives to be the msot politically correct town on the face of the earth, and it's quite sickening (which is another story unto itself). but even here, they aren't completely banning bibles and refusing the idea of god in a christian sense. i took a bible & related literature class in high school. sure, it was supposed to have nothing to do with religion, and it wasn't a class designed to teach people how to be good christians or anything, but it was clearly based on reading the bible as literature and looking at what interpretations people get from certain parts of it.

holy crap, did i just stick up for the amherst school system?

80sU2isBest said:

I've said I won't post in Free Your Mind again, but I woudl like to amke a comment about this.

While it's true Christians aren't really persecuted in America these days, the same can not be said for Christians living in China, certain 3rd world countries, and Islamic Theocracies. Christians in those places are constantly being jailed and even excuted.

The fact that my quote is the first you commented on is flattering. But this is exactly my point. People here in the states have no clue as to what persecution is. They are whining about Christmas carols and monuments, while the rest of the world still has real issues. Christians here in the states have lost sight.

UnforgettableLemon said:
On a sidenote... we had a group of Christian Peace group people come and give a lecture tonight. They had been in Iraq for the last 3 years, and said that even under Saddam Hussein, the Christians over there had been treated more fairly than they have been since the invasion. (80s, I understand Iraq was not a theocracy but a dictatorship, but I think it's an interesting counterpoint). I am not glorifying Hussein; he was still a sick bastard that needed to be removed. But from what Christians who were living over there said (they make up 5 % of the Iraqi population), they did not feel as persecuted as the Muslims within the nation.

Hiya UnforgettableLemon,

You must mean the non-Sunni muslims I take it?

Angela Harlem said:
...And whether Christians are being persecuted might depend a bit on your definition of persecution.

...Did I just stick up for Christianity?
:confused:

hehe...

But seriously, persecution could be verbal, and that is something that I would say has been going on in the US since the late 1950's. The verbal persecution is of such little consequence when compared to the physical and mental forms of persecution, such as what is happeneing in China. I mean considering the source there, durning the Boxer Rebellion which led to the existing communist state, something like 20 or 30 thousand christians were killed because of their faith. But yeh, at present, in China, Bibles are outlawed by the government, and christians are killed simply because they are christians. So has it started? In some parts of the world, I would say yes, most definitely.

Carrie

BrownEyedBoy said:

Hiya Browneyed Boy,

I should have actually commented on your post first seeing as how it starts the thread. You are in no way crying wolf.

However, I think it is more of a question of WHEN it started as opposed to whether or not it actually has. It, I think, would depend on your view of say, the relevance of Israel becoming a nation almost 60 years ago. That in my opinion would have more to do with when things really started to be set in motion. Everything else such as the persecution of Christians (be it verbally or physically) is just part of the many things that are happening and the many more soon to come.

Carrie

indra said:
I think it's because too many people want to force their belief into the public schools even as this country is getting an increasingly diverse population. I think religion should be taught at home or at whatever religious institution a family is affiated with (if any). It should not be taught in public schools.

Hiya Indra,

Would that mean all religions? Or would it just be things associated with one certain one? Should copies of the Quran be removed from school libraries, or maybe Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha"?

Last edited:
martha said:
And why would a guy from Honduras be all weirded out by stuff that's happening in the US?

Hiya martha,

Maybe because possibly he is a christian, and reads the Bible and watches the news and is using logic to make conclusions in regards to prophecy?

Also, with my living in the United States, does that mean I should not be concerned with what is happening elsewhere in the world?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Hiya BVS,

You don't think that is true?

Also, isn't there a way to consolidate quotes while I am posting? Like quote more than one person's post on a thread and address them seperately in a single post? I am responding to everyone's post nearly and as a result I have posted like 5 or 6 times?

Carrie

I don't see what the fuss is all about. Believers have been persecuted (i.e. killed) for centuries (usually by other believers) and now just because some schools take their job a bit too seriously we should be worried? And about what exactly, the end of times?

Last edited:
thacraic said:

Hiya BVS,

You don't think that is true?

Also, isn't there a way to consolidate quotes while I am posting? Like quote more than one person's post on a thread and address them seperately in a single post? I am responding to everyone's post nearly and as a result I have posted like 5 or 6 times?

Carrie
Christians today are generally not persecuted like they were thousands of years ago - THANK GOD. However, it bothers me to think that perhaps groups like the ACLU are getting too powerful, and all you have to do to take God out of the country altogether is hire one of their lawyers who can find an unconstitutional judge to throw out any reference to God. Sounds pretty Marxist to me. We all have freedom OF religion, not necessarily freedom FROM religion.

Many might counter that by using Separation of Church and State - which I actually believe is a very beautiful amendment - but it's been taken out of context. Separation of Church and State protects you from having ONE denomination of Christianity - or any other faith for that matter - FORCED ON YOU. Without this amendment, there would be potential danger in becoming the equivalent of a Middle Eastern country, where the government can KILL you for not following their belief system.

Back
Top Bottom