Is it possible to see a 3 party system in the US ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rono

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Sorry for my ignorence but after reading about the Green party and the knowledge that there is a liberal party and even a comunist party in the usa, i just like to know. Is it possible in the American democratic system to see a differend party beside the democrates and republicans in congress ( ore senat )?

Wthe election system seems to favor the strong parties - so it is not easy, but in Germany (i know the system is different) nobody believed that a 3rth Party could establish itself. And.. in the 80ies the Green party did not make it into the Bundestag - now they are part of the Government coalition. (Green/Socialdemocratic government)

Klaus

It will take some big changes in the political environment and the electoral process for this to ever happen. Ideally in a truly democratic country we should already have more than a two party system.

I wish we could have more parties in Congress. But with our system it'd be difficult, maybe impossible, to have another strong party. I sometimes get frustrated with the two-party system. But since we don't have a parliamentary form of government like you do in Europe I'm not sure we'll ever have another party in Congress. The White House? Forget it. I am not exactly overjoyed with this situation. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored:

The first-past-the-post system of elections tends to encourage two-party systems so from that perspective I'd say it's unlikely. I also think that the lack of restriction on election spending which means it's extremely expensive to have a successful campaign, probably works against the development of a third party. The Republicans and Democrats already have a huge fundraising machine behind them but any third party would probably find it hard to raise sufficient funds to have a successful election campaign.

Here's a few suggestions off the top of my head:

campaign finance reform could help to equalize the situation and take corporate interests out of politics

allowing third parties to actually participate in debates, which would require the current bipartisan commission that regulates them to be disbanded in favor of a nonpartisan entity

attempting to make incomes more equal, which may allow the average person to actually have enough time to care and be poltically active rather than having to work multiple jobs. It does not make sense to me how in a democracy only half the eligible population votes and is able to have their voice heard.

then are we saying that are govt. is essentially corrupt and incapable of real change. now i am not proposing that change should occur overnight, but it seems that the real reasons for the status quo are never divulged and we are led to believe in unwritten laws that almost everyone or least those that matter, seem to understand. however, i think that eventually the majority of the country, the poor and downtrodden, will not understand the rules and will begin to fight back. if we are to prevent a future bloody revolution, we need to put the focus back on more civilized methods of change now.

It is thanks to one party in particular that we have GW Bush. It was thanks to the rise of Ross Perot that we had President Clinton.

We have multiple parties.....just none that has won anything major.

Dreadsox said:
It is thanks to one party in particular that we have GW Bush. It was thanks to the rise of Ross Perot that we had President Clinton.

We have multiple parties.....just none that has won anything major.

Are there any 3rd parties that are actually representing people? Not just in running.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Are there any 3rd parties that are actually representing people? Not just in running.

The Libertarian Party seems to be fairly popular in my area. Not huge, but they have sponsored candidates in many races in the region.

Peace

It's a difficult thing to approach. If polypartisanship were more widely practiced and accepted on the levels of debates and primaries, then it would be more likely that a diverse voice was being represented. That could appease those that hold the belief that the current binary system is too canabalistic in nature, where it is centrally focused.

Then again, if there is some unification of ideas under fewer parties... a clearer decision might be derived in the electoral process. Much like the past election.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

The Libertarian Party seems to be fairly popular in my area. Not huge, but they have sponsored candidates in many races in the region.

Peace

But have they won anything?

It seems like the third parties are always the guys who show up year after year trying out for the team but never make it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But have they won anything?

It seems like the third parties are always the guys who show up year after year trying out for the team but never make it.
But what can they win ? Can a liberal can become senator ?

I think enough people would vote for a differend party when there is a chance for them to get in congress.

Back
Top Bottom