Is it possible for the US to go home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
Paul Bremer:

If the provisional government asks us to leave we will leave

... and ...

I don't think that will happen but obviously we don't stay in countries where we're not welcome

Well the US is obviously not welcome in Iraq but i don't hope they will leave in chaos.
I was against this invasion but i think once it's started you can't leave before suceeding in the transformation of Iraq into a stabile democracy.

And i don't think Mr. Bush could afford leaving Iraq before reelection.

I agree. I didn't want us to go in the first place but now that we've done all of this stuff we need to stay and clean up. "Get out now" isn't realistic. I personally think it's politics.

Klaus said:

and I don't think he can afford not to.

I do not believe he will be reelected unless the troops are brought home before election day and I predict they will be.

If we stay to sort out the mess, it will be longer and worse than Viet Nam.

Is it possible for the US to go home? Yes.

Is it possible for the US to go home and not be criticized? No.

Is the US welcome in Iraq? Depends on who you ask.

Klaus said:
Paul Bremer:

... and ...

Well the US is obviously not welcome in Iraq but i don't hope they will leave in chaos.
I was against this invasion but i think once it's started you can't leave before suceeding in the transformation of Iraq into a stabile democracy.

All Opinion polls show that the MAJORITY of Iraqi citizens WANT coalition forces to STAY in the country.

The coalition could leave Iraq this year, but the danger of leaving so early is that it makes the probability of another war 10 years from now much more likely.

The Coalition should stay to establish a effective Iraqi police and security force that can deal with any terrorist or insurgent element.

The Coalition should stay to provide security while the training of Iraqi Security forces continues and the interim government is established and elections are held for a democratically elected government in 2005.

With a trained Iraqi police and Security force, a democratically elected and functioning government, the coalition will then be able to start withdrawing troops. I think once there is a democratically elected government, and Sunni's see politics as a way to express and achieve their goals, you will see the insurgency element from the Sunni population decrease as well as support for foreign terrorist.

The US Military plans to keep 140,000 US troops in Iraq all the way to the end of 2005. By the start of 2006, with a democratically elected government, a larger and better trained Iraqi police and Security force, you should see the coalition begin to withdraw troops.

This does not mean the insurgency and terrorism would have been completely ended, but that the new Iraqi Government and Iraqi Security forces were strong enough to sustain themselves and combat the problems.

As the coalition withdraws, foreign aid should continue to flow to Iraq until, Iraq is capable of utilizing the full potential of its oil resources which should be 5 to 10 years from now.

Wow, I actually agree with STING and nbc! ;)

I don't think a pullout is feasible, either logistically or ethically, right now. We really do need to finish what we started, whether you agree with the war or not. And I do believe our troops are capable of finishing that job thoroughly and honorably.

Back
Top Bottom