Is it possible for any human being to stay celibate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
To be blunt, you can have an orgasm from an inanimate object- you can't get real, true love from one of those. For some people real, true love is necessary before they are comfortable having sex with someone. Maybe their desire for that love is stronger for them than the desire for a temporary good feeling. I think humans are also "hardwired" to want real, true love.

It's a personal decision for each person how they choose to deal w/ sex and their sexual desires.

Good point, as usual. In a sea of madness, I can always count on you to swim in calmer seas.

Did that make sense? If not, please excuse it as being a product of 6:46 AM "Brain not quite awake" syndrome.

MrsSpringsteen said:
To be blunt, you can have an orgasm from an inanimate object- you can't get real, true love from one of those.

while it has never given me an orgasm, i sometimes think Achtung Baby gives me real, true love.

;)

Irvine511 said:
(assuiming, of course, that married people actuall have sex ... by some accounts, getting married is the best way to kill your sex life ;)

To the contrary, like fine wine, it just keeps getting better....

Has anyone studied something called sexual addiction, or am I the only one who has heard of it? Our society provides a playground for sexual addicts (with TV, internet, video games, etc.), but there is a cost when you play the game too much. I saw a TV special on sexual addiction once, and it was very sad. These people weren't even living their lives, they were just spending all their time thinking about and seeking out their next sexual act. Since one of the chemicals released in the brain during orgasm (PEA) is also released in high quantities during a cocaine high, there were numerous parallels drawn between sex and drug (esp. cocaine) addiction). Well, I guess that will serve as my comments on the subject, along with this definition of sexual addiction:

No form of sexual behavior in itself constitutes sexual addiction. Whether a pattern of sexual behavior qualifies as sexual addiction is determined not by the type of behavior, its object, its frequency or its social acceptability, but by the relationship between this behavior pattern and an individual's life. The key features that distinguish sexual addiction from other patterns of sexual behavior are: 1) the individual is not reliably able to control the sexual behavior, and 2) the sexual behavior has significant harmful consequences and continues despite these consequences.

2Hearts said:
Has anyone studied something called sexual addiction, or am I the only one who has heard of it?

I'm sure we've all heard of it but why do you bring it up here (aside from the fact that it's an interesting subject)?

adam's_mistress said:

Hmm. Could be true with some married folks, I guess. I've been married for 10 and a half years.

In my opinion (and my husband's, teehee ;) ) at least for us the sex does better and better. Sex has... well, since the very very beginning, been a very large and important part of our relationship. Over time we have become so familiar with each other, so in tune with what makes each other tick and so familiar with our needs and desires, that the level of understanding we achieve through unspoken words in the sexual realm have transgressed out of the bedroom. To me sex is more than the act of screwing, it's an ultimate expression of communication and love.

This doesn't go without saying that there are lulls of sexual activity in marriage. Like everything else, it comes and goes in waves. Sometimes you go for a while without sex, and you get through it. During those times, I think (maybe even subconsciously) we've used the understanding and communication we've learned with each other in the most intimate of situations to carry us through those dry spells. And eventually things come around full circle. :)

yah...ive been married over 11 yrs now and id have to say that our sex life is better now than it was in the beginning....there is a sense of trust and comfort and freedom of expression that had to develope as we went along also.

does staying celibate mean no masturbation? does it mean no orgasm........? im guessing it cant cuz when ya sleep it can just happen automatic like. i guess if ya dont mind pleasin yourself for a time than your celibate........

Last edited:
I find it really odd (and interesting) that so many people can't seem to comprehend that some people have no sex drive or how people with a sex drive could resist acting on it.

joyfulgirl said:

I'm sure we've all heard of it but why do you bring it up here (aside from the fact that it's an interesting subject)?

Although some may say that 'sex addict' is just a synonym for 'man', I just wanted to point out that sex can become a dependancy with real consequences. Maybe it wasn't completely on topic. :shrug:

2Hearts said:

Although some may say that 'sex addict' is just a synonym for 'man',

:lmao:

taking a bit of a lighter view on this, there is a point here.

for myself, i'd say that the bigger struggle for me is not finding available sexual partners, but in making good decisions regarding willing sexual partners.

anyone who says that men can't control their urges is making an excuse for bad behavior.

but anyone who says that the male sex drive isn't very different from the female sex drive is also kidding themselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4185498.stm

BBC show sets teen sex challenge

In No Sex Please, We're Teenagers, two Christian youth workers tried to get participants to swap "casual sex for old-fashioned courting rituals".

They said the young people would be happier if they were in long-term, serious relationships.

"This is not a reality show in the Big Brother sense," a BBC spokeswoman said. "It is a three-part observational documentary series."

The teenagers, aged between 15 and 17 and from Harrow, north-west London, attended weekly "Romance Academy" sessions with the youth workers.

'Life-changing'

They also spent a weekend sharing a house with two rules - girls and boys were not allowed in each other's bedrooms and no alcohol.

The youngest participant was Wesley, 15, who lost his virginity at the age of 12. The parents of the 12 teenagers agreed to the project.

The BBC spokeswoman said the youngsters were not chosen for their promiscuity.

"Some of them haven't had sex at all - it's a complete cross-section," she said. "They're all from Harrow but they all go to different schools and they're all from different cultures and different religions."

The youths described the Romance Academy as "life-changing", she said.

No Sex Please, We're Teenagers is on BBC Two from 6 September.

So if you're having sex, you're not in a long-term relationship? Does that mean that people in long-term relationships don't have sex?

Melon

Let's not forget...having sex and having an orgasm are two different things. You don't neccessarily have to have sex to experience an orgasm. It is my belief that any 16 year old male who says he hasn't serviced himself is more than likely fibbing.

As for asexualality...I would think there are people that for one reason or another aren't interested in relationships and would rather service themselves for all eternity. That is, unless servicing yourself is still considered a sexual activity.

namkcuR said:

As for asexualality...I would think there are people that for one reason or another aren't interested in relationships and would rather service themselves for all eternity. That is, unless servicing yourself is still considered a sexual activity.

Asexuality isn't necessarily being uninterested in relationships. Not feeling sexual attraction doesn't equate not feeling romantic attraction. Also, most asexual people aren't interested in "servicing" themselves because they have no sex drive to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom