Is it possible? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:24 AM
I'm Catholic and I never go to confession, I confess my sins during Mass and privately w/ God.

Honestly confession w/ a Priest in church in the confessional, the whole thing intimidates me. When I had to make First Confession I was scared to death. I think I said I lied to my Mother, which I'm sure was true

Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Sarcasm duly noted, Melon, but let's try to be helpful to clarity here.
Well, I guess it sounds sarcastic, but that really wasn't my intention. Catholicism makes confession and forgiveness very simple, compared to how Protestantism deals with the issue.

Melon

Old 05-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, I guess it sounds sarcastic, but that really wasn't my intention. Catholicism makes confession and forgiveness very simple, compared to how Protestantism deals with the issue.

Melon
Really? Do you know what I, as a Protestant, do to get forgiveness for my sins, melon? Nothing, anymore. I've already done that when I was reborn. All my sins, past, present and future were forgiven at that point. When I confess my sins now, it is for the sake of admitting guilt; it's not to get forgiveness again. That was taken care of at the cross.

That is not just my view, but the Protestant view.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually 80s, you still need to ask for forgiveness even though you're a Christian now. It's one thing to admit guilt -- it's another to say your sorry. That's what asking for forgiveness is.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Actually 80s, you still need to ask for forgiveness even though you're a Christian now. It's one thing to admit guilt -- it's another to say your sorry. That's what asking for forgiveness is.
This is a theological argument that has gone on for ages. I agree with the side that says once you are reborn, your past, present, and future sins are forgiven.

Otherwise, what if you die right after sinning but before confessing? Are you not saved? Do you go to Heaven? If dying before confessing means you lose your salvation, then that puts us right back in the days of the law, before Christ's sacrifice, when people had priests sacrifice animals for them, and the person hoped they didn't commit another sin before they could do the sacrificing again the next week.

I agree with the need to confess your sin, but it is not necessary for salvation once you have been reborn. It is for our own benefit; it restores the fellowship.

I confess and say I'm sorry, but in so doing, but that doesn't grant me forgiveness. I've already been granted forgiveness.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 05-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think we're kind of talking about the same thing in different ways. When I say forgiveness I'm not talking about salvation. I'm just saying there's a difference between admitting guilt and repenting.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:24 AM
As a Catholic I don't see confession as any sort of necessity. I do it by choice, not by coercion. It can be very helpful with guilt, and for some, no doubt, it is simply a way to deal with guilt. Heck, the guy who sponsored me through catechism never goes to confession either although I think that has something to do with his work schedule.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

verte76, I didn't mean to offend you with my post earlier. I hope it didn't come across wrong. I'm glad you don't see confession as something that you have to do to be forgiven. I disagree with us having to go through someone else to get to God. God doesn't want it that way. He wants a relationship with us. I'm not going to have a good relationship with my dad if I'm only talking to him through my mom, you know? While I don't agree with it in those terms, I do agree it's good to be held accountable. I'm just rambling thoughts here.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think we're kind of talking about the same thing in different ways. When I say forgiveness I'm not talking about salvation. I'm just saying there's a difference between admitting guilt and repenting.
That, there certainly is.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 09:24 AM
This is what my mother can't stand about Catholicism. Because confession and forgiveness are obtained so quickly and easily, someone can just say, "Oh, I'm forgiven now, so I can go out, commit the same sin again, and then find a priest, bing, confess, and I'm scot free again." You actually learn to devalue sinning more.

Personally I like the way the Armenian Apostolic Chrurch handles this. There is no individual confession, no private one-on-one jazz. No embarrassment .guilt confessing to a priest..ESP a celibate one fi the sin is a desicetionary one. If you want to confess something, you do it Sunday morning, during the Badarak (Mass). Before Communion, the priest does a ritual call to confess sins. Everyone who feels they have the need to confess something comes to kneel at the altar, and the priest does his little ritual symbolic cleansing. You recite after him that "I confess that I am guilty of the seven deadly sins and all their forms: namely pride, envy, ager, sloth, covetnousess, gluttony and lust." (This is also great b/c the formula is in Armenian, and it's the one part of the mass where you have to know Armenian, so every one knows a bit of the language. )You repeat a formula that asks for forgiveness, the priest absolves and you and tells you to sin no more. etc. Then you rise and are free to take communion. If you don''y confess, you can still take communion, or course. But it;s a compromise: You don't have to tell the priest exactly what your sin is--only God knows that. If you don't want to confess your sin before the congregation, you don't. But if you sincerely feel the need to confess and ask forgiveness, you go in front of the whole congregation and make a generic confession, and the public knows you haven't been a good little boy or gal that week. So it's like a compromise, before God, but entirely voluntary. YOu can make it a public spectacle before the Church, OR you can keep it private before God, if that's your choice. If you feel the need to confess to the CHURCH and not just to God, everyone will know, though not know all.

Personally, I agree with Coemgen. When I became a Christian I'll never forget that prayer I had to recite, asking God to cleanse me and make me whiter than snow. It was like a instant change...I actually felt the brden of sin being physically lefted freom me. There are other physical aspects of being Baptized I;d rahte rnot get into. But I'll say that in the end, the only true confession is between you and Him. Ands in the end it;s what matters.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks for sharing that Teta040. I don't think, at least I hope, that Catholics and all Christians would simply ask for forgiveness and use it as a free way to sin. That's not biblical. In fact, the Bible warns us against doing that.
I'm not familiar with your church. Are you saying you have to go to church to be forgiven? I'm sorry, but with all due respect that's not biblical. There's no formula that has to be repeated either. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to understand more about your denomination.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that Teta040. I don't think, at least I hope, that Catholics and all Christians would simply ask for forgiveness and use it as a free way to sin. That's not biblical. In fact, the Bible warns us against doing that.
The Bible even says that when you become a Christian, the old sin nature is crucified, and it is replaced with a new nature. That new nature stirs up the desire in the Christian to be in God's will, and not to sin. Frankly, if someone told me that he is a Christian, yet doesn't feel conviction when he sins, and he actually wants to live a life of sin, I have to say that I would wonder if he really ever made a committment to the Lord in the first place.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Right on.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Really? Do you know what I, as a Protestant, do to get forgiveness for my sins, melon? Nothing, anymore. I've already done that when I was reborn. All my sins,
past,
present

and future

were forgiven at that point.
This is great news for you.

Forget about the celibacy.

Go for it.

Sex is great!

You will be glad you did.

And you are already forgiven.

Katie bar the door

take the phone off the hook,