Is it naive... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
No - because this is an absolute statement.
It's known as the paradox within postmodernism. However, most academics just chuckle and walk away.

In other words, this point is duly noted, but not seen as important or discrediting of the underlying philosophy.

Melon

Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's known as the paradox within postmodernism. However, most academics just chuckle and walk away.

Which is part of the problem with most academics - they thrive off contradiction,

Old 09-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Contradiction is balance...
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Which is part of the problem with most academics - they thrive off contradiction.
Well, to be more specific, postmodernism thrives off of contradiction. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that postmodernism was embraced heavily by academics who also had embraced semiotics. As such, there's an awful lot of word play in this philosophy that can easily alienate the average person.

I think that's the main reason why so many people misunderstand postmodernism and its philosophy opposing "absolute truth." However, I do believe that, with an open mind and plenty of study, postmodernism has an awful lot of offer to public discourse. Once I began to understand all the paradoxes and wordplay, I really started to appreciate it.

Melon
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:58 AM
Quote:
As such, there's an awful lot of word play in this philosophy that can easily alienate the average person.
Oh dear.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

However, I do believe that, with an open mind and plenty of study, postmodernism has an awful lot of offer to public discourse.
I think that history will look upon Post -Modernism and laugh. Just my opinion. Sort of how "Waiting for Goto" and "Theater of the Absurd" are already dated and laughable.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Once I began to understand all the paradoxes and wordplay, I really started to appreciate it.
There just seems something inherently wrong with this idea, in a universal sense.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Contradiction is balance...
No it isn't, contradiction means that one view best represents the facts and another does not.

Newtons ideas about gravity are contradicted by General Relativity, but they are not equally valid or balanced.

Objective truth does exist and there are times when people are simply wrong.

I maintain the internet is the pinnacle of the information age, ultimately a product of modernism.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No it isn't, contradiction means that one view best represents the facts and another does not.

Newtons ideas about gravity are contradicted by General Relativity, but they are not equally valid or balanced.

Objective truth does exist and there are times when people are simply wrong.

I maintain the internet is the pinnacle of the information age, ultimately a product of modernism.
The law of non-contradiction is one of the foundations of logic. If you throw it out, you might as well sew up your mouth and hack off your fingers because anything that came from them would be utterly meaningless.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:01 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Do you think that also applies to the idea of special creation? Which is more false than instantaneous gravitation.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Re: Re: Is it naive...

Quote:

Well, you have to keep in mind that both of these quotes are knee-deep in the modernist era. Orson Welles also has an interesting quote around this mindset:

"I have a great love and respect for religion, great love and respect for atheism. What I hate is agnosticism, people who do not choose."-- Orson Welles

While postmodernism--and what you'd probably call "indecisiveness"--arrived around 1968, it has been my personal belief that it has been in decline since 9/11, with a return to modernism.

But here's the catch: with the return to modernism, expect a return to fanaticism and conflict. Modernism ushered in a whole bunch of rather wacky and generally incompatible belief systems, such as communism, fascism, eugenics, Ayn Rand, and Keynesian capitalism.

While decisiveness has its place, it also can quickly give in to a steadfast stubbornness and refusal to adapt and/or compromise. Much of the success of America has been centered around the ability to compromise, but with today's polarized world, "compromise" is a bad word. That tends to tell me that we're heading for a world of trouble in the coming decades, and we're about to repeat all the mistakes of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

At the very least, "decisiveness," in itself, isn't a bad thing. However, I believe that it should always be tempered with a good dose of "inherent uncertainty." It has served the scientific community well for centuries, as it is one of the few institutions that is able to be decisive and quickly adapt to change when real-world evidence and research proves pre-existing theory wrong. The world could learn an awful lot from the scientific process.

Melon
So your quote defines modern liberalism. And yes, it has a lot to do with taking sides, so thank you for participating. But I'd be careful - some of us see moral relativism as an outlet to push moral confusion over moral clarity.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:22 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Well, to be more specific, postmodernism thrives off of contradiction. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that postmodernism was embraced heavily by academics who also had embraced semiotics. As such, there's an awful lot of word play in this philosophy that can easily alienate the average person.

I think that's the main reason why so many people misunderstand postmodernism and its philosophy opposing "absolute truth." However, I do believe that, with an open mind and plenty of study, postmodernism has an awful lot of offer to public discourse. Once I began to understand all the paradoxes and wordplay, I really started to appreciate it.

Melon
If you really believed that there are no absolutes, your loyalty to your views would not be so unshakable.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

In other words, this point is duly noted, but not seen as important or discrediting of the underlying philosophy.

Melon
They walk away because they cannot make sense out of their own unshakable beliefs.

And I was told that logic and reason is the basis for progressive thought?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Is it naive...

Quote:
So your quote defines modern liberalism. And yes, it has a lot to do with taking sides, so thank you for participating. But I'd be careful - some of us see moral relativism as an outlet to push moral confusion over moral clarity.
The term, "moral relativism," is utter nonsense. I think this term should be abolished, along with "reductio ad Hitlerum" arguments.

Melon
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
If you really believed that there are no absolutes, your loyalty to your views would not be so unshakable.
Frankly, I've argued this debate so many times that I'm at peace with my stance. I don't believe that "absolute truth" exists; what we have, instead, is "subjective consensus" that we masquerade as "absolute truth." However, as I've also stated, whether you want to call it "subjective consensus" or "absolute truth" tempered with inherent uncertainty is of absolutely no consequence to me. I don't care anymore, as I consider it a completely semantical distinction.

Since we have so many self-proclaimed "absolutists" in this world, I'm no longer willing to abdicate decisiveness to the far-right.

Melon