Is it good to have enemies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

-Winston Churchill

Agree, disagree?

I dunno. I have at least one enemy at my work that I did nothing to deserve. They make my life and my job more difficult. I don't find it to be a good thing in the least. :|

Id rather NOT have enemies, and i think my life would be healthier without them to be honest...

A man in love with the sound of his own voice.

Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Winston Churchill

Eating words has never given me indigestion.
Winston Churchill

I always avoid prophesying beforehand, because it is a much better policy to prophesy after the event has already taken place.
Winston Churchill

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Winston Churchill

I cannot pretend to be impartial about the colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones, and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
Winston Churchill

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Winston Churchill

I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.
Winston Churchill

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

I don't know about enemies, but I think everyone should have a nemesis. You walk into a supermarket one day and there he is. Everything goes silent. No-one says a word. You haven't seen him since you battled at the theme park last spring. You drop the orange juice bottle in your hand. Everyone knows what has to happen now, except the girl your with, she whispers "Who's that?" and under your breath you say "My nemesis..." She backs away. Checkout girls spring out the door. It's on.

Earnie Shavers said:
I don't know about enemies, but I think everyone should have a nemesis. You walk into a supermarket one day and there he is. Everything goes silent. No-one says a word. You haven't seen him since you battled at the theme park last spring. You drop the orange juice bottle in your hand. Everyone knows what has to happen now, except the girl your with, she whispers "Who's that?" and under your breath you say "My nemesis..." She backs away. Checkout girls spring out the door. It's on.

Cue some Morricone music.......:love:

I dont think enemies are at all desirable or mean anything noble. The negatives of an enemy far outweigh any benefit by character building and other garbage, which is easily obtainable in less destructive ways.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't know if I've ever had a real enemy and I've stood up for a many things in my life...

I agree.

I'm a very outspoken person but I always try to get my point across without getting personal and trading insults.

There are people that I don't like and that don't like me too, but I would hardly call them ENEMIES. I don't wish them to come to any harm and I'm sure they feel the same.

I went to see the film 'the Libertine' recently and really loved this quote:

"You must acquire the trick of ignoring those who do not like you. In my experience those who do not like you fall into two catagories: the stupid and the envious. The stupid will like you in five years. The envious; never."

John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester (The Libertine, 2005)

:wink:

Nobody with a mind, body, and soul chooses to have enemies.

We should all know where we differ, otherwise we'd get stabbed in the back for trusting someone too much.

most of us will never get enemies because of our opinion
just because of the way we express this opinion

Earnie Shavers said:
I don't know about enemies, but I think everyone should have a nemesis.

America was certainly actively looking for one when the Soviet Union collapsed. It's actually kind of humorous when they were looking at puny third-world countries like North Korea and Iraq to fill the void, but I think the powers-that-be finally got what they wanted with the amorphous specter of terrorism.

Melon

What does it say about our society that having enemies can be considered a necessary part of a full life? It surely confirms that ours is a war-like species, throwing sticks at each other over the watering hole. Until we get these sort of ideas out of our collective conscience we'll stay that way.

melon said:

America was certainly actively looking for one when the Soviet Union collapsed. It's actually kind of humorous when they were looking at puny third-world countries like North Korea and Iraq to fill the void, but I think the powers-that-be finally got what they wanted with the amorphous specter of terrorism.

Melon
Really, now. Saddam never invaded Kuwait. He would never think of that.

America made the whole thing up.

Macfistowannabe said:
Really, now. Saddam never invaded Kuwait. He would never think of that.

America made the whole thing up.

You only care about that, because you were told to care about it. When Liberia destabilized Western Africa and contributed to a brutal war in Sierra Leone, where many civilians had limbs removed by the rebels, you probably only had a faint idea (if any at all) that it happened.

Because, really, Iraq invading Kuwait has as much bearing on you as Liberia destabilizing Sierra Leone. That is, it has no bearing on you personally at all.

It's certainly a far cry from the Soviet Union and its satellite nations.

Melon

Personally I don't care if I have enemies or not. What defines an "enemy" anyway? I am who I am and I choose who I befriend and trust or not. If people don't like me so be it, I don't need them in my life.

I think don't think the point is to strive to have enemies to "prove your moral integrity" in standing up for this or that righteous cause. I think it's more to just do what's right, regardless of what other people think, understanding that if you make a significant stand you may incur enemies, and that should not deter you in doing right.

I think Jesus is a good model for this (and I don't mean this in a strictly Christian religious sense. The same could be said of Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Aung Su Kyi (sp?) and others). Jesus just did what He did. At times everyone loved Him for it, at other times everyone hated Him for it. He didn't seek the approval of others, nor did He seek out disapproval and wear it as a "badge of righteousness" (as some Christians do today. They say things that hurt and anger others and then, with halo and angelic choir singing in the background say to themselves--"ah, well, Christ said "'The World' would hate us just as it hated Him.".)

Jesus just did what He felt was right, recognizing that incurring enemies might be part of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom