Is Hollywood About To Shatter A "Taboo"? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Is Hollywood About To Shatter A "Taboo"?

The movie Brokeback Mountain w/ Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal is coming out this Fall. Their characters have a love/sexual relationship, how explicit it gets I have no idea(my hunch is not very explicit). I saw the trailer yesterday and you can't determine from that. I've read rumors but they are probably just that. Maybe it's based upon a book (I don't know) so in that case they can't exactly avoid the subject, but the question is how far will it go and how comfortable will the audience be with that?

Have there ever been any other mainstream Hollywood movies that portrayed men in a relationship in an explicit fashion? Not that I can think of..

Then there's the issue of having two very good looking men (well in my humble opinion ) portraying that, and somehow does that make it more "attractive" for people?

Would women be more comfortable seeing this movie than men would be, in general?

They must have a web site for it, so maybe we can check that out.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 11:17 PM
I wont watch it. Although even if I was gay I wouldnt watch it, both actors are ugly IMO and Heath Ledger is a complete bell end (I've met him).

Give me some Tom Cruise and Rupert Everett Loving.

However, such a film wouldn't make me uncomfortable as I am very open minded, but I doubt I'd watch it as it would probably have no appeal.

(shouldn't this be in Zoo Station?)

Old 09-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Old 09-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Did anyone see "The Velocity of Gary?" The make-out scenes between Vincent D'onofrio and Thomas Jane are totally hot!!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Tom Cruise....ick

the guy is whacked in the head to boot. lol
Old 09-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
Did anyone see "The Velocity of Gary?" The make-out scenes between Vincent D'onofrio and Thomas Jane are totally hot!!!!
Vincent D'Onofrio

Old 09-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I put it here in an attempt to have a serious discussion about it and about whether people are willing to accept this in a movie in 2005, have we honestly reached that point yet.. Maybe that's pointless these days in FYM

It's not about what you think of Heath Ledger or any other actor in this type of movie palace hero, you can discuss that in Zoo Station
Old 09-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
is that out on DVD?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I put it here in an attempt to have a serious discussion about it and about whether people are willing to accept this in a movie in 2005, have we honestly reached that point yet.. Maybe that's pointless these days in FYM

It's not about what you think of Heath Ledger or any other actor in this type of movie palace hero, you can discuss that in Zoo Station
I contributed to the thread in a serious manner.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

is that out on DVD?
I'm pretty sure it is. The HOYAY is off the charts!!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm excited to see it.

doubt it will go much further beyon the art house set, but that's probably it's intended audience.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It's also directed by Ang Lee, I found this on imdb.com - the trailer is there as well

Heath Ledger has a nude scene in which he jumps into a lake. The director intends to edit any actual frontal nudity out of the film, but a paparazzi took photos of Ledger with a digital camera. The photos have appeared on the internet and in some press publications.

According to reports, Heath Ledger nearly broke co-star Jake Gyllenhaal's nose while filming a kissing scene.

Two Men In Love at the Venice Film Festival, 3 September 2005
10/10

Author: bethlambert117 from United States

"It was a real ordeal to get into the screening. The anticipation was palpable. The film arrived surrounded by a plethora of innuendo. "A gay western" "Heath and Jake's hot scenes" As soon as the film started every imaginable preconception flew out of the auditorium. This is a remarkable, moving and powerful love story. The setting is that of a modern western "The Last Picture Show" comes to mind. Ang Lee's attention to detail verges on science fiction. You can actually smell the place. Extraordinary. I'm not going to reveal anything about the story - Gian Luigi Rondi a legendary Italian film critic, revealed the ending to a television audience, what was he thinking?! - The film will be enjoyed much more allowing to story unfold without having passages underlined and attention drawn to this or that particular. I felt compelled to write this comment because I'm overwhelmed. It has changed my perception, I must confess, about certain aspect of same sex love because I didn't think of same sex when I was watching it, I saw two human beings (amazing performances by both actors)I have the feeling "Brokeback Mountain" will make history, deservedly so. "
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:17 AM
I know I'd certainly be quite interested to see people's reactions to this when this movie's released. I don't know if I'll be seeing the movie, just for the sole reason that I don't get a chance to see a lot of new movies nowadays, but if I come across it and have some time, meh, I might catch it. See what it's like and everything. I think it's cool that Hollywood's willing to deal with this .

And I think there's some women and men who will be interested in it, and some women and men who won't. It all depends on each person's comfortable zone, I'd guess . I personally wouldn't be bothered, though-hell, I've read slash stories which were much more explicit than a movie, and had no issues with those, so if I could deal with those, my guess is this movie won't make me bat an eye.

Angela
Old 09-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #14
New Yorker

I don't know...the trailer looks bland and really, who is this movie being made for? What kind of audience will see it? Not a chick flick, not a manly action flick. It will be interesting to see how successful it is.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:47 AM
I'm sorry but

Daniel Day Lewis did this in 1985, or thereabouts. Watch "My Beautiful Laundrette". Russell Crowe in "The Sum of Us".

What is it about prudish Hollywood when many countries around the world have already portrayed homosexuality on the screen.