Is Happiness Real?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Is happiness real, or is it just the absence of pain? Looking at it from a scientific point-of-view, I have to wonder if, by default, we are always unhappy and that, only through the coordination of sufficient amounts of neurotransmitters are we happy. The absence of them means that we're unhappy. So does that mean that we are, by default, unhappy?

What does that say about life if that's true?

Melon

happiness is for those who don't really need it ...

that might be one of Bono's best-ever lines. let me think about this one.

potential to be a killer thread.

Re: Re: Is Happiness Real?

Do Miss America said:
But then you have to ask is pain or unhappiness real?

Well, but that's where I brought in the scientific argument. If you're low on neurotransmitters, you'll be unhappy.

I wish it was the other way around; that we were inherently happy, and it took effort by producing certain hormones or neurotransmitters to be unhappy.

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Is Happiness Real?

melon said:

Well, but that's where I brought in the scientific argument. If you're low on neurotransmitters, you'll be unhappy.

I wish it was the other way around; that we were inherently happy, and it took effort by producing certain hormones or neurotransmitters to be unhappy.

Melon

But what causes us to low on neurotransmitters? Are we low to begin with or do we become low with age?

In every instance that one is low on neurotransmitters are they unhappy? In every instance that someone is unhappy do they have low levels of neurotransmitters?

Good questions. I did mean this to be a philosophical question. There are no right or wrong answers. :)

Melon

I can't prove happiness is real, but I experience it daily in my own life and that's good enough for me to believe it is.

I think the bigger question is why do we experience happiness? Not from a scientific perspective, but ultimately, why is it there for us to experience?

Scientifically, wouldn't it take a certain amount of stimulation to maintain a "neutral" state (between happiness & pain), such as stimuli to negate hunger, heat to negate cold, etc.?

Happiness is a byproduct of contentment. I live in a very wealthy, materialistic part of the world. I have a standard of living and net worth well below my neighbors. Yet, I continually sense that I am happier than my neighbors.

I think true happiness comes down to inner peace, of course that's a vague concept too. There are temporary things that make you happy, but long term happiness comes from within.

Is happiness a choice?

We live in a world of duality therefore I think we're always bouncing back and forth between the two. One cannot exist without the other. We only know happiness because of unhappiness and vice versa.

See, I'm the opposite. I feel like a chemistry set, instead of a human being. :huh:

Melon

I am having a hard time understaning the scientific part of this, but I see that some people are naturally happy. As for myself it is a struggle. I feel that it is the enviromennt that we are brought up in. Mine had some craziness to it, so I work to be happy. I believe that Bono said on Opra, that he doesn't consider himself a happy person but a joyful one.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, I think people who have to work to be happy are much happier than those who don't.

I'm skeptical of people who seem happy all the time, I've known some who are that way who are quite self centered and seemingly oblivious to the world. Also you have to wonder if they're really very unhappy.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'm skeptical of people who seem happy all the time, I've known some who are that way who are quite self centered and seemingly oblivious to the world. Also you have to wonder if they're really very unhappy.

:hmm: You just described my ex-in-process. He thinks he's a very happy content guy.

In reality, we spent soo much time talking about where we were going, I finally had to stop because I wanted real time to have a chance to catch up to the list.

I think happiness is real, but it's found in non material things. The next new thing isn't going to bring it.

i've thought about this thread all day. aside from the traditional "to love and be loved in return," which has only really happened to me once, and that made me euphorically happy at points, what makes me happy is a sense of accomplishment that i know will please my parents.

i think happiness is conditioned. as a child, you're rewarded for certain kinds of behavior, and the world i grew up in was very suburban, very achievement oriented, and the measure of a person was some kind of mathematical formula derived from GPA, SAT scores, athletic/musical accomplishments, and volunteer activities. and the pearly gates, as it were, was getting into an Ivy League college. i think i was brought up in a world of conditional worth -- where your worth was contingent upon your proving just how deserving you were, as measured by accomplishment, of the privileged environment in which you grew up.

i know this is crap, and that resumes mean shit and what matters is how you treat other people, including yourself. but to this day, nothing makes me happier than a job well done, praise from a superior, and a tangible sense of progress made on a path towards some undefinable long-term career goal.

i wish i could break myself of this habit, and identifying it is the first step, but it does scare me how much my self-esteem is tied up in the feedback i receive from others. my opinion counts least.

melon said:
See, I'm the opposite. I feel like a chemistry set, instead of a human being.

I think the question has merit when you look at the analogy of Free Energy and systems... where the term cold really does not exist, as it is replaced by a reference to the lack of heat/energy. A lot of the Greek Classics were quite polar with the topic of happiness... I don't know if any of them actually compromised its foundation though.

Way to go Melon.

:sexywink:

Is Happiness real?

Yea, it is except that it could be just a chemical condition in our brain and our bodies, but then again having a mind to rely on and thinking myself above and beyond the limitations of science with the whole human race, I think we should ask does our conscienceous exist? The answer to that question would explain to us whether happiness, sadness, love et al were just products of the science or something more, they're definitely something more imo due to them all being highly illogical all the bloody time nearly:wink:

Wow, thanks for this Dread.

So...happiness. It's something you seek, but if you seek it too much, you'll never find it. I remember some day calander I had that said, "Every once in a while, it's wise to pause in the pursuit of happiness, and just be happy".

I love what Bono has to say about the difference between joy and happiness. I'm seeking joy--the profound sense of peace with myself and the world. It's deeper and lasting, compared to happiness. It's contentment (though I have problems with contentment along the lines of what Mrs. S suggests about being oblivious to the world--when/if I get married, it will NOT be to someone who is oblivious to the problems of the world). If I can quote Shery Crow at ya :wink: , it's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Some quick thoughts....

SD

Wow, thanks for this Dread.

So...happiness. It's something you seek, but if you seek it too much, you'll never find it. I remember some day calander I had that said, "Every once in a while, it's wise to pause in the pursuit of happiness, and just be happy".

I love what Bono has to say about the difference between joy and happiness. I'm seeking joy--the profound sense of peace with myself and the world. It's deeper and lasting, compared to happiness. It's contentment (though I have problems with contentment along the lines of what Mrs. S suggests about being oblivious to the world--when/if I get married, it will NOT be to someone who is oblivious to the problems of the world). If I can quote Shery Crow at ya :wink: , it's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Some quick thoughts....

SD

nbcrusader said:

Happiness is a byproduct of contentment. I live in a very wealthy, materialistic part of the world. I have a standard of living and net worth well below my neighbors. Yet, I continually sense that I am happier than my neighbors.

Economist Calculates the Six-Figure Value of Love

Morning Edition, February 14, 2005 · You don't have to have a lot of money to feel rich. Economist David Blanchflower calculates that being married is the emotional equivalent of an extra $100,000 a year.

link here

nbc,

did you declare this on you tax return?:wink:

I don't have money at this time, either, but I still have things that make me happy. I'm happy when I hear a good song, or when I'm hanging out with friends and family, or when I see snow, and so on and so forth. And it's not just me...I remember when I watched that "Diary" episode with Bono and Chris Tucker in Africa...those people there had virtually nothing, and yet I rarely saw a sad face. They had such big smiles, they were so friendly and cheerful. Proof to me that money won't automatically make you happy.

melon said:
Is happiness real, or is it just the absence of pain? Looking at it from a scientific point-of-view, I have to wonder if, by default, we are always unhappy and that, only through the coordination of sufficient amounts of neurotransmitters are we happy. The absence of them means that we're unhappy. So does that mean that we are, by default, unhappy?

What does that say about life if that's true?

Melon

It'd say to me that life pretty much sucked if we had to have neurotransmitters to make us happy.

But I do think happiness is real, as is unhappiness (totally agree with those of you who are skeptical of those who are always happy). There's things in this world that, when they happen, can make anybody the giddiest person in the world with the most goofy-looking grin plastered on their face for days. And there's things in this world that, when they happen, can make people feel like the world is just one big black hole of horrible events. And so to have such strong reactions like that either way would be proof enough to me that these feelings are real.

By the way, I sucked at chemistry, too :hug:. Chemical equations need to die.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom