Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know there 's alot of you (most of you) here who believes God accepts people of all religions into Heaven.

First of all, I'd like to know why you think this, and how you justify this belief. If there are any scriptures you think show this then I'd like to see them. Is there anything in the Bible regarding this? Do you believe the Bible is God's word?

I believe that God will not accept people who worship idols into Heaven, this could mean religions such as Bhuddism where idols are bowed down to.

I'll have some verses up shortly as soon as I find the ones I'm looking for.

Tell me what you think though. I want to discuss and debate, not insult and demean others. Let's have a healthy discussion please!

I think literal "idolatry" is irrelevant. The idea was not worshiping another god. Whether that "god" is intangible or represented with an "idol" is completely irrelevant to the overall point.

Melon

Well, people of other religions just have a whole different mind-set. They have their own scriptures. The Muslims have the Koran, the Hindus have the Upanishads, and there's all sorts of literature that inspires people all over. Buddhism is an interesting religion because it started out without a God concept at all, then it split into groups that acknowledge various deities. There are several important deities in Hinduism like Krishna and great heros like Arjuna, a prince. Needless to say these people wouldn't agree that they are "bowing down to idols" because they do not accept the Judeo-Christian scriptures, period. It's a whole different world in those nations that honor Krishna, Lao-tze, the Zen tradition in Buddhism, and the others. This is enough to make my head spin big time. I know it did when I studied comparative religion as a philosophy minor in school. Frankly, I don't think it's for me or anyone else to say with authority that "God is against this". Only God knows that. We can only do our best and hope it's good enough.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Do you believe the Bible is God's word?

I believe that God will not accept people who worship idols into Heaven, this could mean religions such as Bhuddism where idols are bowed down to.

Tell me what you think though. I want to discuss and debate, not insult and demean others. Let's have a healthy discussion please!

First of all, I'm pretty sure that the Bible isn't God's word considering that it wasn't written by God. So....clearly, it's man's word because they are literally words written down by man.

Secondly, I don't understand how you can be so close-minded about certain things. Why can't those who worship idols make it into Heaven? Who says there is a Heaven at all? God is supposed to be a supernatural concept that transcends human thought. So in that case, it is impossible to pray to God. When we create idols, it is taking an incomprehensible object and making it tangible. That's why people worship idols. Plus, shouldn't Heaven be about whether you were good or evil in your life. If you follow all of Jesus' teachings about love, humility, and charity....shouldn't you make into Heaven regardless of what building you go to on Sunday?

shart1780 said:
I know there 's alot of you (most of you) here who believes God accepts people of all religions into Heaven.

First of all, I'd like to know why you think this, and how you justify this belief. If there are any scriptures you think show this then I'd like to see them. Is there anything in the Bible regarding this? Do you believe the Bible is God's word?

Idols have nothing to do with it. Idols are worshiped by everyone here on earth; be it money, power, politics, etc.

If God is all powerful as believed by most, then God would be present everywhere. Not just certain countries. Christ said through him, the sacrifice he made. Christ didn't say you have to know me, you have to say this, do this or that; he just said through me.

People have gotten through a lot of things from the grace and love of other humans to which they never knew their name.

I agree with you that the main commandments to get into Heaven are the things you listen, love, humility, charty, etc., but those aren't the only requirements God has.

And this is me speaking from a clearly christian, Bible-based standpoint. I don't see how every religion could be acceptable either way, because they contradict eachother left and right. For example, the teachings of christianity and Islam are contradictory, and both state that the other is wrong.

Also, I believe the Bible IS the word of God, and that nothing in the Bible was written without the divine inspiration of God. I don't believe any part of the Bible is mute. I also believe Jesus Christ is the one and only way to God, and that unless you call to him by name to save you, you won't go to Heaven. I don't believe Jesus hears prayers to Bhudda or Alla or any other God.

2nd Timothy 3: 16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work

2nd Peter 1: 20-21)
"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Acts 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus who gave himself as a ransom for all men-the testimony given in its proper time.

1 John 2:23
Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: but he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Romans 5:21
That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 5:11
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

John 3:16-18
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. {17} For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. {18} He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of

Also, here's some stuff the Bible says regarding idol worship:

Psalm 115 (3-8)
3: Our God is in heaven; He does whatever pleases Him.
4: But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men.
5: They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see;
6: They have ears , but they cannot hear, noses, but they cannot smell;
7: They have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats.
8: Those who make them will be like them and so will all who trust in them.

Isaiah 44:(12-20)
12: " The blacksmith takes a tool and works with it in the coals; he shapes an idol with hammers, he forges it with the might of his arm. He gets hungry and loses his strength; he drinks no water and grows faint.
13: The carpenter measures with a line and makes an outline with a marker; he roughs it out with chisels and marks it with compasses. He shapes it in the form of man, of man in all his glory, that it may dwell in a shrine.
14: He cut down cedars, or perhaps took a cypress or oak. He let it grow among the trees of the forest, or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow.
15: It is man’s fuel for burning; some of it he takes and warms himself, he kindles a fire and bakes bread. But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it.
16: Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill. He also warms himself and says, "Ah! I am warm; I see the fire."
17: From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, "Save me; you are my god."
18: They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand.
19: No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, "Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?"
20: He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"

There's about a million other verses I could put up but I'd basically be repeating myself.

And I agree with you Miss America, idolotry isn't just in the form of bowing down to idols, but worshiping things like money and material possessions with your time.

Last edited:
Shart....I hope this doesn't sound rude but I have several copies of Bibles here at my own disposal that I can reference with a concordance....

Instead of just posting a zillion scriptures, maybe you could post one or two and give us your own thoughts/interpretations of them? Maybe that would help open up a dialouge and discussion.

I think most of those scriptures speak for themselves. I stated what I believe and then I showed scriptures to back that up.

I'm sure Jesus can literally hear the prayers, what I mean is that he doesn't answer them.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
I don't believe Jesus hears prayers to Bhudda or Alla or any other God.

You realize how much of a radical extremist point of view this is??????? It is pretty scary. "CHRISTIANITY IS RIGHT....YOU ARE ALL WRONG...YOU WILL BURN IN HELL UNLESS YOU SAY GOD'S NAME WITH A 'J' INSTEAD OF A 'B'. THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE BIBLE EXACTLY HOW IT IS OR ELSE GOD WILL HATE YOU."

That's my interpretation. Just so you know, I don't pray to "Bhudda" or "Alla".

shart1780 said:
I think most of those scriptures speak for themselves. I stated what I believe and then I showed scriptures to back that up.

So you can't discuss your own thoughts/interpretations of what you read and believe in?

:|

What's the point of even having a thread about things like this then? There is basically no avenue for disccusion if you feel just cutting and pasting scripture leaves no opening for such. I mean, you were interested in talking aout this sort of topic, right? I can read my Bible in my own spare time if that's not the case.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

So you can't discuss your own thoughts/interpretations of what you read and believe in?

What's the point of even having a thread about things like this then? There is basically no avenue for disccusion if you feel just cutting and pasting scripture leaves no opening for such. I mean, you were intrested in discussion, right?

The point is to say his beliefs without creating any of his own philosophies. Hmm...someone isn't religiously brainwashed. Don't worry....you're not alone.

starsgoblue said:

What's the point of even having a thread about things like this then? There is basically no avenue for disccusion if you feel just cutting and pasting scripture leaves no opening for such. I mean, you were interested in talking aout this sort of topic, right? I can read my Bible in my own spare time if that's not the case.

Yes, I believe there was an identical thread to this one (right down to its originator) about 6 months ago. All that's different is the wording.

Don't waste your time, there will be no real discussion here, just alot of condemnation and quotation.

Well, what do you disagree with me on? I don't wanna go through and explain my belief in every scrpiture I posted, I just wanted to hear your take on the subjects like wheather Jesus is the only way to Heaven, if Idol worship is against God, and if the scriptures are God's holy word.

Most of my belief's regarding these things are pretty black and white and have been stated already. I basically just wanted to know if you disagree and why.

And please refrain from personal insults, I don't see why my beliefs anger you so.

Last edited:
Why don't you just copy/paste the whole Bible and say that that is what you believe and then ask to have a discussion about religion.

shart1780 said:

I'm sure Jesus can literally hear the prayers, what I mean is that he doesn't answer them.

Wow that poor 5 year old buddhist dying of cancer.

I can't believe in a God that such an ass.:|

God's merciful, he'll answer anyone who prays to him, but he says he won't answer prayers to other Gods. If you think he's an ass that's your decision, but I disagree.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Do Miss America said:

Christ said through him, the sacrifice he made. Christ didn't say you have to know me, you have to say this, do this or that; he just said through me.

Christ said "he who believes in me will not be condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already"

unosdostres14 said:

You realize how much of a radical extremist point of view this is??????? It is pretty scary. "CHRISTIANITY IS RIGHT....YOU ARE ALL WRONG...YOU WILL BURN IN HELL UNLESS YOU SAY GOD'S NAME WITH A 'J' INSTEAD OF A 'B'. THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE BIBLE EXACTLY HOW IT IS OR ELSE GOD WILL HATE YOU."

Christ is pretty radical. Christ did indeed say that he is the only way to the Father and he also said that those who believe will not be condemned but thos who don't believe are condemned already. And don't go saying those are my words or shart's. They are the words of Christ himself.

Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

80sU2isBest said:

Christ said "he who believes in me will not be condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already"

So he didn't die for the world's sins, just the believers? That's not what I've been told. I mean let's look at Peter alone---he believed and then he didn't and then he did again. He certainly wasn't condemned in the eyes of The Church and its history. You weren't always a believer...you made a choice to cross that line so you couldn't have already been condemned if you believe yourself redeemed?

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

I think this because of the Bible....

I believe the Old Testament God is the exact same God as the God of the New testament.

I believe that throughout the Old Testament, God has demonstrated immesurable grace towards the creation.

God has continuously throughout the stories in the Bible attempted to redeem the world, as scummy as some of the characters in the Book are.

God has repeatedly CHOSEN people to act in a leadership capacity that I would not deam worhty of redemption, King David, Jacob for starters, were not necessarily people I would associate with nor think of as righteous by their deeds.

I believe the Bible is insipred by God's relationship with the creation. I do not believe it is word for word the literal word of God. I believe it is more like Plato's cave, and we are looking at the shadow on the wall verses seeing the actual thing. The shadow representing God's will is as close as we are going to get to the revelation of God until we die. Until then we are left with mankinds best interpretation of the shadow.

Jesus died for the sins of those willing to repent. If this weren't true than every murderer on earth would go to Heaven regardless of iff he asks for Christ's forgiveness.

80sU2isBest said:

Christ is pretty radical. Christ did indeed say that he is the only way to the Father and he also said that those who believe will not be condemned but thos who don't believe are condemned already. And don't go saying those are my words or shart's. They are the words of Christ himself.

I happen to not believe he said this. Considering the literary style and purpose of the writer at the time it was written is important to me. Do I believe the writer of the story BELIEVED this. Yes.

Some people in here seriously sound like radical extremists. It is scaring the hell out of me. I just hope you don't live anywhere near the Chicago suburbs.....

shart1780 said:
Jesus died for the sins of those willing to repent. If this weren't true than every murderer on earth would go to Heaven regardless of iff he asks for Christ's forgiveness.

How could God extend his grace to King David? He was in a way, a murderer.

Back
Top Bottom