Is God against religions that practice idol worship? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice id

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

I have the revised standard version, which I believe is much more trustworthy than the King James Version which has been picked apart by many biblical scholars to have numerous translation errors, do a google search if any of you wish to read more about these problems.
I use the New King James Version, which is also considered one of the most accurate. But you're right, the RSV is very well-respected and it does have end quotes after verse 15.

I just checked, and the following versions have no end quotes after verse 15. According to these versions, Jesus spoke the entire discourse in John 3:10-21:

King James,
New King James,
Holman,
New International Version
National American Standard Bible
New Living Translation
The Message

Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte
For the record "Allah" is simply the Arabic word for God. You wouldn't expect someone whose first language is Arabic to use the English "God"? The French use dieu, the Germans use Gott, other people use their own language. Even some Arabic Christians refer to the Christian God as "Allah", according to some Arabic Christians on a listserver I'm on. It's a language thing, not necessarily a Christian or Muslim thing.
Verte, it is more than just the Arabic word.

I have often heard the Muslim prayer "There is no God but Allah...."

It is the Muslim concept of God.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #93
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 PM
But isn't the Muslim concept of God still the same God, so to speak, as the Judeo-Christian God? Being that they have the Abraham story, they believe in Jesus (not as the Messiah, granted, but as a great prophet)...

I'm not being argumentative; I'm truly asking.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
But isn't the Muslim concept of God still the same God, so to speak, as the Judeo-Christian God? Being that they have the Abraham story, they believe in Jesus (not as the Messiah, granted, but as a great prophet)...

I think this is a propoganda... To be honest , I dont know this but by the looks of it it looks like a propoganda.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:22 PM
As an agnostic, I find the rational objective evidence for the existence of the Christian (or any other) God unconvincing.

One point I would make: overly literal interpretations of the Bible I consider to be inherently dangerous. For example, there is a passage in the Old Testament that says if your son consistently misbehaves, you should take him to the city gates and ask the town elders to stone him to death.

So, who decides what Bible passages are infallible and what should be discarded/ignored or watered down?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

Tell me if the below makes any sense

"Is God against religions that believes in celebration of Christmas ?"

Plain joke isnt it ...Do you want to discuss it..
It can make sense. My answer would be no, I don't believe God is against that. And if I had to, I would back that comment up.

Quote:
I have found this thread offensive as it is targetting a group of religions which believe in idol worship.

This thread is intended to tell that ...hey this religion is better than that...and whether God favors members of some particular religions as against other religions...
FYM is a place where we are free to discuss ideas, being political, spiritual, etc. If it's offensive, I'm sorry, but those who post such ideas have every right to do so. You can't strip anyone of the belief in one true faith, so why bother.

Quote:
And when I tell this ..I am accused of talking non-sense..

Just because I believe that all people - religious and non-religious...are equal...no religion is better than other... You think
this is an invalid comment...

And excuse me..I am not harassing anyone.
I was wondering why you bothered to criticize the thread and the discussion, and call it "a joke." Believe it or not, there are people in this world who take their beliefs seriously, equally as serious as you take your own. All I ask is a little more respect for those who differ from you.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:22 PM
Allah is COMPLETELY different than the God of the Bible, as anyone who knows anything about Muslim faith could see.

The faith of the Muslims is completely different, as you can see from his commandments.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

I'm not being argumentative; I'm truly asking.
While there are many similarities, there are many differences as well. The differences are significant enough to establish that the two religions are not talking about the same Person.

As you point out, Muslims view Jesus as a prophet - Christians view Jesus as fully God.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Allah is COMPLETELY different than the God of the Bible, as anyone who knows anything about Muslim faith could see.

The faith of the Muslims is completely different, as you can see from his commandments.
That's true. Some of the characters in the stories are the same, but even they have differences as far as what they do and who they are. For example, in Islam, Jesus was a prophet, but not the Son Of God. Therefore, even though they have the same name and are based on the same man, they do not paint the same pictue of who Jesus is, so he is eesential not the same Jesus in these two faiths.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Hey nb, you and I wrote almost the exact same thing at the exact same time. How strange is that?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
It's as night-and-day as the petty warrior God of the early Old Testament and the loving God of the New Testament.

Melon
Old 04-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Hey nb, you and I wrote almost the exact same thing at the exact same time. How strange is that?
One Holy Spirit
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's as night-and-day as the petty warrior God of the early Old Testament and the loving God of the New Testament.

Melon
You raise a good point. When reading sacred texts as works of literature, one discovers many similarities, as well as many differences.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Great minds think alike.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by the soul waits
I have only very recently discovered God and am now reading books about the Bible, eventually leading upto reading the Bible again itself (I've read it over 10 years ago and never quite studied it).

Having said that, I just wanted to comment on the fact that I was agnostic untill only recently (say 1-2 months ago even!) and somehow, God showed Himself to me and I feel blessed.

I respect the knowledge on the Bible a lot of posters here have but at the same time, am kind of distressed with the demeanor some here show to know perfectly well how the Bible is to be interpreted.
I guess I'm seeing a lack of being humble and a lack of respect for the fact that noone will really know untill our days here are over.
I am awed by God's Grace, that's for sure, and it came so unexpected that I am FAR from having any kind of theory of who/when/why will go to Heaven.

I agree. Keep that 'innocent' faith and awe....I think when one starts to feel completley knowledgable of God's ways is when their heart starts to harden in a way. We can only know God in part, through a glass darkly...