Is God against religions that practice idol worship? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Unodostres, if you believe we're wrong why don't you try backing it up with something more concrete than judgmental opinion?

If you believe we're interpreting the Bible wrong why don't you tell us how you interpret it?
Hmm...i have homework to do...but i'll give it a quick try. Alright, basically, I am fundamentally against the thoughts of people who are like, 'MY RELIGION IS RIGHT...YOU ARE WRONG...YOU WILL BURN IN HELL, BITCH!" because religion is the way to explain the inexplicable. There is no way that one day there is going to be solid evidential proof that Jesus is the son of God and that God is exactly what the Bible says it is. So many assumptions are made that people take to be the Truth. If a person follows all the teachings of Jesus, (love, humility, charity, etc.) why must he go to the building with the cross on top of it on sunday instead of some other kind of building. Do you honestly believe that God will send to hell the 4 year old African boy with AIDS because he prays to the God that his parents tell him to pray to. If so, God really is an asshole. (GASP)..."what did he just say?...let's hang him! yeeehah!" [haha sorry for the sidetrack] Basically, what I'm trying to say in general is that some people aren't able to face the fact that perhaps everything they believe in is wrong. If i came and told you I was the son of God and performed some magic tricks, would you believe me. If I told you that I knew a guy who lived to be 600 and he gathered two of ever animal and put them on a huge-ass boat and saved them from an even huger flood. I just think that it is wrong to believe so strongly in something which may not be true. It's kind of like when you read about Greek Gods and goddesses in school. They say all these crazy things about how Apollo pulls the chariot of the sun across the sky and that's why the sun moves and they explain things in nature by all these crazy things. Well....they believed it. Right? These seemingly crazy ideas to us were realistic to them. Perhaps we are in the same thing right now. When you think about it, religions have all these crazy stories about impossible tasks occuring and maybe it's just a resurgence of Greek mythology, which was obviously false, but still believed by many.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Quote:

I believed we are born with a "Sinner" stamp on our forehead. We'd be doomed if it wasn't for Jesus' sacrifice.

And, as in the scripture I posted, the Bible says the scrptures are a tool for us to judge righteously. Of course I can't judge anyone to Heaven or Hell, I couldn't even if I wanted to. The Bible says you will know people by the fruits they produce.

I understand the first paragraph.

What I am saying though is instead of you 'judging' people's actions why don't you think of how your own actions can show God's fruit and love to them? Jesus didn't look at the people he consorted with by society's labels. He saw people created in God's image...not Prostitute, Tax Collector, Bum, Leper, Pagan, Murderer, Greek, Whatever....He brought these people BACK into community after they had been shunned by all else.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

Yeah, um 80's Jesus didn't say that.
Um, yeah he did. Go up to John 3:10. That is where Jesus begins talking. He has a long discourse that lasts until John 3:21.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Kids, this is clearly no longer a thread about discussion....

it is deteriorating into I am right and you are wrong.....

The title has to do with IDOLOTRY....

What was the point of the title?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

I am a Christian. I HAVE read Romans. If I wanted to know Paul's 'thought's I would read Romans...I wanted to know Shart's.
Then why did you ask me? You quoted something I said and asked me a question about it. I was explaining the condemnation remark, as said by Christ and explained by Paul. Don't ask me a question if you don't want me to answer.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

I understand the first paragraph.

What I am saying though is instead of you 'judging' people's actions why don't you think of how your own actions can show God's fruit and love to them? Jesus didn't look at the people he consorted with by society's labels. He saw people created in God's image...not Prostitute, Tax Collector, Bum, Leper, Pagan, Murderer, Greek, Whatever....He brought these people BACK into community after they had been shunned by all else.
Well, you're right that I first need to look at my own life and decide wheather I'm following God's word before I look at the lives of others. I'm not trying to label people the way society sometimes does, I'm using scripture as a tool do decipher, to the best of my ability, what is and isn't against God.

I don't believe there's any differene between a prostitute and a hypocritical pastor, they both need God's forgiveness before they can get into Heaven. I'm not placing any sinner above any other sinner.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

I made an honest attempt at answer the initial questions of the thread....

I think it is clear this is not open for discussion.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Um, yeah he did. Go up to John 3:10. That is where Jesus begins talking. He has a long discourse that lasts until John 3:21.
But that quote was not accreditted to Jesus, not there or anywhere else.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Shart, thank you for your response. We may disagree to disagree on interpretations of scripture for some nuances but that's never a new thing in Christianity...

And 80sU2...I wasn't asking you I was asking Shart. Maybe you confused me with DoMiss.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worship?

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

But that quote was not accreditted to Jesus, not there or anywhere else.
2nd Timothy 3: 16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work
Old 04-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #56
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is God against religions that practice idol worsh

Quote:

2nd Timothy 3: 16-17
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work
I've said it now twice, read my quote and debate that. Quit ignoring my quote and quit ignoring other questions. Maybe this is why the term ignorance is being used.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If what you're saying is that the only real truths in the Bible are directly quoted from Christ then I'd have to disagree. Why not just scratch eveything in the Bible out excrpt for the red print?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #58
War Child

Quote:
If what you're saying is that the only real truths in the Bible are directly quoted from Christ then I'd have to disagree. Why not just scratch eveything in the Bible out excrpt for the red print?
No, I just don't take them as commandments or absolute.

But good job ignoring the rest.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:13 PM   #59
Refugee

Heh...well I see that noone refuted anything in my post at the beginning of page 4.....i guess it's because there's nothing to refute!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
Heh...well I see that noone refuted anything in my post at the beginning of page 4.....i guess it's because there's nothing to refute!
It's because it's nothing but Christian-bashing garbage, and if you don't care for a theological discussion, you are not obligated to post.