Is FYM Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anthony

Refugee
No, of course I don't mean the nature of the forum in itself; I LOVE the forum and is the only real one I visit, however, recently it seems and it has been noted by others that the moment you mention FYM you associate things like bad arguments, slander and other modes of misbehaviour that really do give it a bad rep.

What I want to know is how and what you think of the forum, is it as bad as some have made out? I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it whatsoever. Oh sure, tempers rise and insults fly, but thats to be expected in a heated debate. I mean, everyone goes on about how some people just slag others off, but the truth is EVERYBODY does that, even in the House of Commons in British Parliament.

I don't think the level of debate at FYM is all that bad at all, even when you get people you disagree immensely with - its all part of the fun.

Ant.

I don't post much at Free Your Mind, but I do read a lot that goes on. Part of the reason I do is that it helps keep me up to date on current events and teaches me more about topics I am not familiar with but should be.

I'm also all in favor of a good debate...they are very exciting, and I love hearing different points of view on a subject. However, I feel that a good debate does not involve name calling or belittling of any sort. I have yet to see an occasion where behavior like that was called for, and I doubt I ever will. For the most part, I think that people need to just have respect and understanding for others' viewpoints.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

You know, what do we all expect? The real world is just as petty and filled with disagreement as this place, so why should we somehow think that everyone here is going to get along?

I must say that I'm fit to be tied with all the ridiculous grudges and name-calling going on in here. I argue in here out of sheer enjoyment of arguing the issues, and, really, I haven't a longstanding problem with anyone in this forum, although I wish I could say the same about some of the people's reactions to me in here.

Really, though, this was inevitable. Familiarity seems to breed contempt; words get glossed over in favor of judging the person who wrote it. We've hit Interference.com's growing pains after about two years of existence.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I think Free Your Mind is sometimes dominated by people who are overwhlemed by their intellect and knowledge to the point that they lose touch with some of the more basic tenents of human behavior such as love thy neighbor or do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you.

I think the Forum gets out of control sometimes, but sometimes, it's fun to watch. FYM is one of the main components that keeps Interference.com Forums your regular Melrose Place of Drama...

Originally posted by U2LA:
I think Free Your Mind is sometimes dominated by people who are overwhlemed by their intellect and knowledge to the point that they lose touch with some of the more basic tenents of human behavior such as love thy neighbor or do unto others as you'd like them to do unto you.

Agreed. I'm not sure they behave this way in "real life", though. Actually, I doubt it. Still...

foray

Originally posted by foray:
Agreed. I'm not sure they behave this way in "real life", though. Actually, I doubt it. Still...

foray

U2LA has nailed this one right on the head! and, Foray brings up a great point. I have seen it posted a number of time in this forum that some of these members do not think of this as real life. It is an escape for them where they can run free because their true identity is somewhat hidden. Yet, their fervor and anti-openess to others opinions actually does offend people. It is sad how a forum that could be great is overrun with a few zealots.

For the most part, I lurk (when my computer is actually working - it's been out on the fritz over the past month which would explain my absence) I'd rather take part in the sidelines than get involved in a debate where I'll get my panties in a twist. Besides, enough arguing goes on around me in the material world - I can't be bothered to get worked up here when I take this place as a refuge or escape from the real world.

Not that this place doesn't reflect the real world, but all the arguing here and the name calling and the assumptions and liberal/conservative bashing and "fighting the good fight" is a real turn-off and takes away from the debates at hand.

So I lurk. But I don't mind reading a good debate or chiming in once in a while but after the 2nd or 3rd page it gets tedious and painful to read, and the arguments go around in circles. Mainly when the heated topics at hand are diverted into Biblical debates but I don't really need to go into that.

*sinks back into lurker mode*

FYM can be really scary sometimes. It can get really overwhelming. I started here and it was really the only place I posted for a long time until it got to 'down your throat'ish. So I left, now that I'm back again I see that it hasn't changed all too much, but I have figured out how to word my replies better and how to deal with it when people pick on me for the stupidest things that I can't help and that don't actually hamper my thoughts or decrease the validity of my opinions (*cough* age *cough cough*). But the idea that this is an escape from reality does explain a lot of things...

------------------
I will not expose the ignorance of the faculty.

Yes, FYM is bad, and should be spanked. In the words of Homer Simpson, "I've got a hankerin' for some spankerin'"

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 03-29-2002).]

I think FYM is a battlefield, and like all battlefields it showcases some really ridiculous happenings but conflict is a part of life and so I dont think we should be surprised that Feedback has one centre for acrimony.

Naw, it's just the people here who make it suck.
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by U2LA:

I think the Forum gets out of control sometimes, but sometimes, it's fun to watch. FYM is one of the main components that keeps Interference.com Forums your regular Melrose Place of Drama...

I agree,..

Back
Top Bottom