Is France Bashing Unwarranted? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2003, 07:15 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 AM
I think we were told this is off topic.

Old 05-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Dreadsox,

"Sting, I think you have typed this to me before. I know your opinion, and I disagree with it. Anything new to add to this?"

So are you implying that I can't respond to something you posted? Did you ever come up with a number of countries that in your view would represent a "proper" occupation force? Is it more than the four countries that occupied Germany after World War II? Or the single country that occupied Japan after World War II?
#1 Never said do not respond to me. Just tired of the same response.

#2 My number of people in a coalition has nothing to do with why this is or is not a true coalition that would satisfy me. We debated this before, weeks before the war. You and I see differently on this issue.

#3 There is not even a remote comparison between WWII and this situation in my opinion.

If I could PM or IM you I would gladly discuss things, but I have said before it is getting boring in here arguing about the same old things.

Old 05-19-2003, 05:30 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Dreadsox,

"#1 Never said do not respond to me. Just tired of the same response."

Think for a second about what I was responding to and whether it was new and original in its overall sentiment.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:48 AM   #64
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Hey
I'm kinda late into this thread so i do apologise, but i just want to point out a few points, that i don't think have been mentioned. People were saying about the boycotting of French products, well recently the French boycotted our beef, as a nation, because they thought they were all going to get BSE and mad cow disease, even though thee is no real proven link and most of our country still eat our beef. This obviously damaged many livelihoods of our farmers - and not to mention it was a breach of EU law...where the French refused to pay the fine, up until the point where the fine was demanded - and thus they lifted the ban. The point raised is that people may condone the banning of some french products - but here they did itto us. Don't get me wrong, i'm not supporting any of it, just making the point. But it does raise the question of the EU - and who wants to join a so called 'super state' where the countries are constantly breaking the rules? (again, we may have broken the rules before...i'm not singalling out just France)

Also, i have read recently during the 'war' how some french 'people' drew a nazi sign on the graves of allied soldiers in France - and also put something along the lines of 'these bodies plague our soil'.......well quite frankly i found that disgusting.
Anyway, sorry if i've gone off topic, and i want to stress i'm not being anti-french - i'm just pointing out these things for the debate
Old 05-31-2003, 12:14 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Right before the war some idiot hacked into a French-owned figure skating site. I suspected the shenanigans were politically motivated. This is the kind of thing that reallly stank as a result of the dispute because figure skating has nothing to do with politics. The site was dedicated to a Bulgarian ice dance team and Bulgaria supported the war. But the site had nothing to do with wars, UN resolutions, etc, etc. If you choose not to drink French wine or whatever that's your business. Hacking into a site that has nothing to do with politics is something else. It stinks.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:58 AM   #66
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I think we need to avoid confusing the ordinary French people and their government.
Very good point.

Honestly, bashing of the French has been prevalent FAR before any of these recent events happened. It's not like all the jokes/comments directed at them arose from the recent political disagreements between the U.S. and France, I'd say most all of them came far before that. Sadly, the recent disagreements just reiterated all of the stereotypes that most of the old jokes/bashing were about.

That being said, I'm sure they have a wide variety of U.S. bashing going on in their country too, I personally dont have any hard feelings towards the French because of that.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:10 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Nothing positive comes out of confusing the French people and the French government. Now some idiot has started posting obscene notes in a French-owned figure skating listserver. Damn. I'm suspicious that it's politics again. The list is owned by the same lady from Paris who owns that site. It's fd because she sure as heck isn't anti-American, about half the list is American. I'm annoyed at this.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:55 PM   #68
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Normal

Yesterday on TV there was this Dennis Miller "comedy routine" if you could call it that. I'm not sure how old it is, but it's relatively recent. In it, he calls all the French "scumbags" and says the only problem in that is that it's insulting to bags of scum. The audience laughed and cheered uproariously.

It makse me totally ill.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #69
The Fly

I tend to enjoy Mr Dennis Miller.

Atticus
Old 06-27-2003, 09:00 AM   #70
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Well the one very funny joke that he did make was that Bush surrounds himself with advisors in the same way that a hole surrounds itself with a doughnut.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:11 AM   #71
The Fly

See there. He is a humorous felllow that cannot be typecast..

Atticus.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:14 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

You know, I don't understand why this thread still exists. The war in Iraq and France's "obstructionism" are history. Before Iraq, it wasn't like France was America's best friends anyway. The Americans who still hate France hated France all along and the same with the French hating America.

What an utter non-issue...

Melon
Old 06-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #73
The Fly

I think France has behavior patterns.

Atticus.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:17 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Normal

Now the term "e-mail" is not good enough for the French.

French Government Bans Term 'E-Mail'

Quote:
PARIS - Goodbye "e-mail," the French government says, and hello "courriel" the term that linguistically sensitive France is now using to refer to electronic mail in official documents.

The Culture Ministry has announced a ban on the use of "e-mail" in all government ministries, documents, publications or Web sites, the latest step to stem an incursion of English words into the French lexicon.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Now the term "e-mail" is not good enough for the French.

French Government Bans Term 'E-Mail'

I don't see why this is a problem. It's their language. They can use whatever terms they want. And quite frankly, I think that it's sorta admirable for the French to resist the Americanization of everything.

In 3 weeks, I'm going to be speaking French daily (Mali here I come) so I think if I can adjust to calling a computer "l'ordinateur", I can manage to learn a new term for email.