Is fear always a bad thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From The View

Rosie O’Donnell: "Well, you have two choices in life, Elisabeth. Faith or fear. Faith or fear, that's your choice. You can walk through life believing in the goodness of the world or walk through life afraid of anyone who thinks different than you and trying to convert them to your way of thinking. And I think that this country–"

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "Well, I'm a person of faith, so I, but I also believe–"

O’Donnell: "Well, then, get away from the fear. Don't fear the terrorists. They’re mothers and fathers."

I think you can walk through life believing in the goodness of the world but with a healthy dose of fear that's rooted in reality. You can't let it paralyze you or fundamentally change who you are, but at the same time you can't live with your head in the sand or elsewhere :wink: believing that everything is puppies and roses.

I think the key is to recognize the difference between real fear that's rooted in realisic causes and manufactured, manipulative fear. And to act accordingly.

Faith can help you deal with fear, but faith should never be used to induce fear. You need both in healthy doses and in a healthy balance.

Living in unrealistic fear and worry is such an unhappy way in which to live. It's a happiness zapper.

That's a quote from Rosie O'Donnell. I think she's an ignorant hypocrite that wants to have things both ways. I think this statement, like most of her other "big opinions", makes no sense and is a vast over simple-ization of a nonsensical starting point.

That being said, you can go so far as to say people have Faith because they have Fear. You can say they have no Faith for they have no fear, or they have no fear because they have faith. She makes no sense. I bet she talking all loud and puffed up. God, she irks me. Ugh. STFU.

As for me I have both at times, more one than the other at times. Sometimes little of either. I don't believe that they are directly related, myself.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I think you can walk through life believing in the goodness of the world but with a healthy dose of fear that's rooted in reality.

I disagree. Fear is different than caution. I'm cautious, but not fearful. Fearful people are paralyzed and incapable of growth. Cautious people understand there are bad things and people, but we watch out for them when we need to, not constantly.

People who believe in God are so dumb.

And to fight over it is even more silly.

Is your "Imaginary friend" better than my "Imaginary friend".

Religion should be Outlawed in the World.

Hello People, there is no god of any type.

We don't need to kill each other in his "Imaginary" name.

Bono in Melb said:
People who believe in God are so dumb.

And to fight over it is even more silly.

Is your "Imaginary friend" better than my "Imaginary friend".

Religion should be Outlawed in the World.

Hello People, there is no god of any type.

We don't need to kill each other in his "Imaginary" name.

People who make such sweeping judgments are so dumb.

People don't kill each other in God's name, they kill for money, power, land, wealth, resources......and say they are doing it in God's name.

martha said:
But do you walk around being fearful of a poisonous snake? No. You're cautious when you're where you know they will be. You don't let the fear of them prevent you from doing something.

:yes:

I'm not afraid of poisonous snakes, because I know about them and can easily predict how they will act and react...

I guess I could say I'm afraid of terrorism because people like me ARE part of the target, but I don't live in fear and I don't make decisions based on fear.

martha said:

I disagree. Fear is different than caution. I'm cautious, but not fearful. Fearful people are paralyzed and incapable of growth. Cautious people understand there are bad things and people, but we watch out for them when we need to, not constantly.

:up:

Well, I live in fear most days of my life. But I'm not afraid of the poisonous snakes outside...I'm more afraid of the poisonous snakes within. My fears are internal though, so...I'm probably not talking about the same thing. I think the topic is being afraid of other people? In that case I'm not. I trust others moreso than I do myself.

UberBeaver said:

As for me I have both at times, more one than the other at times. Sometimes little of either. I don't believe that they are directly related, myself.

:yes: Her choices are a little narrow.

Last edited:
Considering that the history of American civilization is based on nothing but inane fear, I'd say it's a bad thing 90% of the time.

Fear is an effective device to control us.

Perhaps, but, at the same time, that's not the primary motive for fear. Fear is profitable. It motivates people to watch television, because boring television is unwatched television and that's bad for ratings. It motivates people to buy things, because we don't want the Joneses to outdo us. It motivates people to invest, because we fear growing old and being poor. In other words, fear drives our entire economic system.

To march through life being unafraid would make you a subversive.

Just to clarify, Melon quoted a line I was simultaneously editing out. Not because I didn't believe it, but it was all pompous sounding, lol.

I agree with your take on economic fear. I just think it is much broader than that.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Faith can help you deal with fear, but faith should never be used to induce fear. You need both in healthy doses and in a healthy balance.
I agree with this. While I don't subscribe to "faith in the goodness of mankind", at least anywhere near the extent that Rosie does, it's perfectly rational to have faith in your government to protect you from those who mean great harm.

Ormus said:
To march through life being unafraid would make you a subversive.
Or "Bush will draft your ass" propaganda could be another way to promote fear. It works both ways.

Macfistowannabe said:
Or "Bush will draft your ass" propaganda could be another way to promote fear. It works both ways.

Figures you'd try and politicize my response. I never said that Democrats were immune to using fear to further their aims. But you never asked about politics, now did you?

I guess I should have known better, though. :rolleyes: :yawn:

Fear is protective mode - it keeps us on our toes. Proceed with caution if you like. I think it's a good thing until this mode is abused.

And faith isn't an option for me. I'm a rational person who like understand. There's no proof God ever existed, and if they did there is probably only one, rendering most religions a fraud. That doesn't mean I can't walk through life treating people with respect and recognising each as individuals to think what they like. Kind of agree with Bono In Melb.

Macfistowannabe said:
it's perfectly rational to have faith in your government to protect you from those who mean great harm.

Since I see the political writing on the wall here now...

I can guarantee that the minute that the White House goes "blue," you'll start pushing to curtail the government. That, after all, was the mantra of paleoconservatives everywhere during the Clinton administration. It's funny how thick the fog of amnesia is when the party in power is your own.

We're abdicating the responsibilities of democracy if we do not push checks and balances on our government, regardless of the party in power.

Ormus said:
I can guarantee that the minute that the White House goes "blue," you'll start pushing to curtail the government. That, after all, was the mantra of paleoconservatives everywhere during the Clinton administration.
It would depend on how responsible the next administration is. I have criticized the Bush administration rather openly when I am in disagreement. But go ahead and jump the gun and assume I'm a kneejerk bootlicker.

Back
Top Bottom