Is fear always a bad thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Macfistowannabe said:
It would depend on how responsible the next administration is. I have criticized the Bush administration rather openly when I am in disagreement. But go ahead and jump the gun and assume I'm a kneejerk bootlicker.

I saw how the tenor changed even in FYM before and after Bush was elected. When Clinton was in office, conservatives here were all about "smaller government. Get the government out of our lives!" The minute Bush got in office? Conservatives were implying how treasonous liberals were for not bowing down to all of Bush's edicts.

Pardon me if I think that kind of thinking is the height of self-centeredness.

Ormus said:

I saw how the tenor changed even in FYM before and after Bush was elected. When Clinton was in office, conservatives here were all about "smaller government. Get the government out of our lives!" The minute Bush got in office? Conservatives were implying how treasonous liberals were for not bowing down to all of Bush's edicts.

Pardon me if I think that kind of thinking is the height of self-centeredness.
Which ones? Anyone in power?

Macfistowannabe said:
It's perfectly rational to have faith in your government to protect you from those who mean great harm.

Actually, it's perfectly rational to expect the government to attempt to protect us. I'm not sure how rational it is to have faith in those that run it without requiring accountability to us. Just questioning your word "faith" there.

Last edited:
It's always about politics I see :( Too bad since American politics frankly suck.

I think you can have faith in something without being religious. It's one thing to have Faith in God (whoever your God might be), but I think faith can be independant.

Macfistowannabe said:
"Always" tends to be a word of absolution...

Well then yes fear is a bad thing. When the hell would fear be a good thing? Being scared is a natural thing that can cause us to react properly, fear is irrational.

BonosSaint said:

Actually, it's perfectly rational to expect the government to attempt to protect us. I'm not sure how rational it is to have faith in those that run it without requiring accountability to us. Just questioning your word "faith" there.
Accountability, rationality, and faith should be inseperable.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well then yes fear is a bad thing. When the hell would fear be a good thing? Being scared is a natural thing that can cause us to react properly, fear is irrational.
I see nothing wrong with having some fear in what other human beings are capable of, as long as it has a basis. If you had a daughter, and you received a notice that a sex offender was going to live next door, should I condemn you for fearing for your daughter's safety?

Macfistowannabe said:
I see nothing wrong with having some fear in what other human beings are capable of, as long as it has a basis. If you had a daughter, and you received a notice that a sex offender was going to live next door, should I condemn you for fearing for your daughter's safety?

Fear in response to a personal, specific threat is different than living with some kind of all-pervading, generalized fear of your fellow human.

martha said:
Fear in response to a personal, specific threat is different than living with some kind of all-pervading, generalized fear of your fellow human.
My point exactly - fear is not always wrong.

If I lived in a big city, my fear for myself and my family would increase, prompting me to take greater precautions - whether it would be having an alarm, or having means of self-defense.

There are times when fear prompts you to make smarter decisions.

Macfistowannabe said:
My point exactly - fear is not always wrong.

If I lived in a big city, my fear for myself and my family would increase, prompting me to take greater precautions - whether it would be having an alarm, or having means of self-defense.

But you're missing my point. What you're describing here is what I call caution. Generalized FEAR of people will cripple you. Caution will make you careful and watchful.

martha said:

But you're missing my point. What you're describing here is what I call caution. Generalized FEAR of people will cripple you. Caution will make you careful and watchful.
What you call caution amounts to rational fear.

Back
Top Bottom